Woman wants to sue Saudi for killing daughter in 9/11?

"My daughter died on 9/11. I should be able to sue Saudi Arabia" says Donna Marsh O’Connor.

"A bill that just passed in the Senate would allow relatives of 9/11 victims to take legal action against the kingdom. If Obama vetoes it, it would be a betrayal."

"This lawsuit would give back funds to the victims’ families – fiscal autonomy. I want that for my sons. I want them never to worry about their student loans, never to worry that they might want to study something, to do some good in the world." - Donna

Do you think the woman should be able to sue Saudi for this? Why or why not? Or should she sue someone else and not Saudi? Is getting money as compensation for her daughters death the right thing to do as justice?

Full article:
http://gu.com/p/4jdp3/sbl

• Yes she should receive compensation for her daughters death.
  • No she should not.
  • Idk/Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Her line before talking about the lawsuit

"Make no mistake about this: part of the demise of the economic prosperity that once characterized middle-class America comes from endless war and bottomless greed" - Goes ahead to try and sue an entire country lmao.

Putting a monetary value on the life of your children is absolutely disgusting, in my book at least.

What Guys Said 13

• The terrorists were clearly Saudi nationals. After the CIA opened it's files in 2011 I believe, it became proven beyond a doubt that Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11 (well most intelligent people already knew that before). The problem is that - in my understanding - it is very likely but not proven that the Saudi government had its fingers in the game as well. Bush had very high ranking Saudi guests at the white house right before 9/11 happened. "Coincidentally", he made them leave the US sooner than originally planned and only hours before the terror attacks. Now, the big question is whether this Saudi leaders knew what was going to happen (and whether they told Bush). Personally, I think the former of the two is very likely. I don't think the whole thing was planned or staged by any government but I do think certain people knew about it and possibly "let it happen". The problem with this is that while it is likely, it can't be proven (as far as I know). Because of this unfortunate situation, suing the Saudi government for the acts of a few individuals would seem unfair. But then again... there are few countries in the world I hate more than Saudi Arabia, so I'm just gonna say: let her sue them. I think it is obvious that she'll never ever get her money anyway. But the whole thing can still function as a symbolic way of demanding justice and protesting against a dictatorial, religiously extremist regime.

• Members of the Saudi government aided the 9/11 conspirators/hijackers. That's what the 28 pages of the classified Congressional report on the attacks were all about. Members of Congress are trying to get those pages fully released. In the immediate aftermath of the attacks ALL air traffic in the U. S. was grounded. With one exception: Members of the Saudi government in the U. S. were allowed to fly out of the country. The Bush administration allowed that, even though they should have been questioned by the FBI. (The Bush family has long-standing ties to the Saudis.) It's never been a secret that the Saudis have supported terrorism. The Wahhabi strain of Islam is centered in Saudi Arabia, and the Saudis have funneled funding to terrorists through so-called Islamic "charities." So I think it's only just that the families of the 9/11 victims be allowed to sue the Saudi government and/or particular Saudi individuals in American courts for the role they played in supporting and assisting the hijackers (15 of whom were Saudis).

• Yeah sure, let's sue the country of probably the most awful leaders in the world and expect fair compensation for their role in aiding terrorists.

Saudi leaders won't even let their women show their faces and you think they give a crap they let terrorists get away with their plans? Nah.

• It wasn't Saudi Arabia, It'd be like suing the U. K for a U. K citizen killing an American here
    It was the terrorist organization Al queda and considering Reagan funded the fuckers if anyone should be sued it would be his estate

• It would just create more tension between the US and the Middle East.
    If that wouldn't happen, then yeah, sue those sons of bitches, but the Saudi government isn't gonna take that with a smile on their face, especially considering the pieces of shit they are.

• It's not official that Saudi Arabia did this and you got no clues about that so that is a false accusation

And besides where is the rights of millions of dead civilians killed by the American army in Iraq?

• It sounded angry a bit as it's is typing lol I meant no offence or something 😛 just being realistic

• I meant some of the members of the Saudi royal family.

• @AleDeEurope ( firstly I am NO DEFENDING AT ALL , I am aganist Saudi Arabia law and ruling systems all the way ) but they are members of the ruling family , not the whole country nor the malik ( the king or whatever they call him )

• In that case, I think Iran should be able to sue the USA for fucking up their country looking for weapons that weren't even there.

• If there is proof that Saudi Arabia played a role/has guilt in 9/11, sue the hell out of them.

Problem if course is, we let ourselves get so entertwined with the garbage of the world that people like the Saudis or the Chinese can now badly hurt us without firing a bullet.

• Saudi Arabia as a country wasn't the one responsible so no.

• I mean she could try to sue the terrorist organization. Like they'd give a shit.

• Honestly I say go for it, the world would be better off without Saudi Arabia anyway, miles well try to sue em.

• well yeah, whatever when do something and kill people on accident we give them recommendation. i think like100,000 per death.

• Hell yea, get em terrorist fags

• As far as I know the attack was not state sponsored, and besides the US pretty much manufactured Al Qaeda.

But according to her reasoning the Iraqi people (and many, many, many, many others) could and should sue the US government

What Girls Said 6

• Mmm then does it mean that every Iraqi killed (over 1 Million) by US strikes should sue the USA? It's not logical.
    Plus , just sayin' Saudi Arabia took away Osama Ben Ladin's nationality.

• The mom is actually ridiculous, suing a country? Like wth, yeah she could sue Al Quaeda if she wants.

• I know right, they wouldn't even take his body when we wanted to give it to them.
      and suing a terrorist organization, yeah you send the taliban a supoena and you think they will go to court

• @Waffles731 Talibans going to court over a woman trying to sue them... 😂 Ultimate story of the world.

• Suing Saudi Arabia won't bring her daughter back, nor would that compensation. If anyone should be sued it's Reagans living relatives, since he funded them.

• I always figured the airlines should have been sued. I feel for those people but money and a stressful lawsuit won't bring back the lost loved ones.

• whatever let them do watever. It doesn't affect me.

• Maybe not technically lawful, but I garantee you if the rest of the world billed the countries that these terrorists are coming from for all the damaged that have been done, they'd make terrorism THEIR problem not OUR problem.

• We're learning more about the involvement of Saudis in 9/11, but so far there's no concrete evidence that Saudi Arabia as a government was responsible for the attack.

The other thing to consider - the US is not an innocent country. If we're going to open up lawsuits against foreign countries for killing our people, are we going to allow foreign countries to sue us too for injuring and killing their innocent people?

No. I'm sorry for her loss, but this is not a well-thought out idea and I don't know why it's a Bill in congress.