Should guys or girls be the first ones to message on dating sites?

So the question is, should guys or girls be the first ones to message on dating sites like OkCupid, Match. com, and Tinder? What if you already knew the person in real life? Could you still message them first, and who should be the one to do it? Relating it to my life.. There's this guy named Matt who I think is really cute and I matched with him on Tinder but I already know him because we're both in Greek Life at the same college. I don't know him very well but I'd like to get to know him, so who should be the first one to message? Me or Matt? Also what would be a good conversation starter? Any and all comments help! Thank you!

• girls
  • guys

Most Helpful Guy

• Whoever wants to, lol

I did not vote.

Most Helpful Girl

• When girls message first, it's much more likely to actually turn into a date. When I used to date online I ignored 99% of messages from guys because, I'm sorry, it was just too much gross, disrespectful garbage to sift through. Any dates I actually went on all began with ME messaging a guy.

What Guys Said 3

• When you see someone you want to talk to, message them. If someone sees you and wants to message you they will unless they're an idiot.

• But if the other person doesn't message you first then does that mean they are not interested?

• They might not have got around to messaging yet - could be busy. Or there could be some other reason. Just message them if you want to talk to them.

• Girls should.

• Doesn't matter who..
    If a girl is interested , she surely can chat first

What Girls Said 2

• Personally I think either one should message first...

• Guys do it a lot, but it doesn't matter who does it. If you'd like to get to know him, you should message him. Ask him about something in his profile, or just say "hey, who's it going?", whatever you want.