How is alcohol treated in your country?

I know it is treated differently around the world. In some places it is just something to wash down the meal such as a light wine, in others it is a party drink used to loosen up, and in others it is a business and social custom used to specifically socialize in distinct ways.

In some places getting drunk is frowned upon while in others it is considered the norm as well.

How is it treated in your country? Are there appropriate times to drink alcohol? Inappropriate times? And what does drinking in excess entail, will you receive public scrutiny, or is it just forgiven?

Most Helpful Girl

• I can't speak for all of USA, but, in my town, drinking alcohol is used as a pain killer. People drink to forget. Sometimes, it's just to have fun.
    Appropriate times: Family events, parties, and evenings/nights at the bar.

Excessive drinking? Unless you're lucky, it's likely you will get pulled over for drunk driving, and given a DUI. My mother has two. If your family is concerned, they'll try to get you help to stop drinking.

I could probably tell you more but I don't really feel like it. My mother's a bartender, so I've learned some things here and there.

Most Helpful Guy

• It is drank to excess here and we have a very unhealthy relationship with it.
    It's almost seen as an achievement amongst many young people to get as smashed as they can, town centres every weekend are filled with vomit on the pavements and piss/blood splattered walls, fighting, police and ambulances.
    I wish I was joking but im not.
    Im from the UK

What Girls Said 6

• We have a pretty unhealthy relationship with alcohol. There is a hell of a lot of alcoholism and binge drinking.

• we drink it too often. mostly what we make at home. i drank kapuka (homemade vodka) for the first time at like 15, its pretty difficult to avoid especially if u have a borderline alcoholic mom lmao (not rlly, she just loves her drinks :P ) its common to drink, alcohol is ingrained in our cuisine. i don't enjoy the feeling of being drunk so i rarely do it. we aren't nearly as bad as nigeria, tanzania or uganda tho lmaoo those guys are perpetually drunk

• People in my country enjoy it with their meals (wine) or for special occasions (champagne), to chill (whiskey) or in clubs/bars as party drinks (anything else).

• USA these guys get blackout drunk every weekend
    Somalia, drink once and ur a social outcast for being haram lmao

• by the way what is the punishment for drinking alcohol in somalia

• It depends on what part of America you live in, in my state it's like water

• I mean, you can buy beer at the grocery store.

What Guys Said 12

• Heavily taxed and not sold to under 16.

• People will always party and get shitfaced, yeah, but beer is also just a huge part of our culture besides that. I don't drink alcohol, but those who are less stubborn than I am will have a much harder time staying away from it as it's actively encouraged.

• Here in the US alcohol is glorified. It's in commercials, billboards, magazines and even in Web MD.
    Even though it causes more death than any other substance in America.

• Usually with meals (wine) or to booze in discos.
    On week-ends, if you are not into discos, and prefer going to pubs, you will usually get a fancy beer, a digestif (amaro, liquore) or a whiskey (less common)

• We have a binge drinking problem. Government is trying to be tough on drinking issues here, no good solution yet.

• Okie as long as you're not drinking it while driving or in the street

• India: It's increasingly popular among young adults to show off when they drink top shelf liquor (kind of like a status symbol). However there are some old hags who are preaching prohibition, so its kind of a culture war.

• Americans have never ever ever drank or allowed alcohol

• In the US it's praised, the drunker you are hell you might even get a medal.

• In my country, if you drink, then
    You're either a rich businessman of just another punk in the streets.

• I live in Alberta Canada and it's ok to drink if your not driving but yiu don't drink before noon really and no hard liqueur before supper and people under about 25 are alowed to be drunk any night they want after that it's only exeptable if your at a wedding or some other party on the weekend and kids under age drink all the time