Girls, Why do you think high schools ban make up as part of the uniform policy for girls? Is this right or wrong?

I was looking over my girlfriends sisters high school uniform policy and I saw how it said no make up permitted for girls or jewlery. Why do you think this is so? I mean, I thought girls liked wearing makeup? Is this denying them a fundamental right? What do you think? Also why do you think this is in force? Thanks

7

Most Helpful Girl

• As for make up. Girls will do it anyway. My school said no makeup but we all wore it anyhow. Only the ones who really caked their faces in orange foundation had to wipe it off (and honestly looked better without that orange was anyway lol).

Schools generally don't want their students to care about "frivolous" things such as makeup and jewelery. And they don't think it's smart looking. Some rules have just been that way for years and years so they haven't bothered to change it cause "traditions".

Either way, I think makeup should be permitted to an extent, like natural looking makeup, basically the no makeup makeup. So there's no one coming to school with like a full on dark smokey eye look or orange faces. If you get me.
    But enough make up to be able to cover up insecurities like acne etc.

What Girls Said 6

• Our school banned make up for girls up to year 9 and then after year 9, you could wear discreet make up. I don't think that that's really that bad. Girls still did it anyway :P

• life wrong.

• Not all girls wear make up, so I don't think it's that bad.

But, for some girls, it's hell.

I disagree with dresscodes altogether, so yeah, I think this is waaaay too far.

• I think schools need to stop making their students wear school uniforms. It takes away their creativity and freedom.

• The idea of it is usually that if everyone looks the same, children from poorer backgrounds who may not be able to afford to dress as well as the other students won't stand out and therefore it's supposed to help reduce bullying rates.

• @fauchelevent I agree with you. It also gets students used to the idea of perhaps being in a work uniform.

• School uniform is amazing. Having gone to a private school with millionaires I can tell you that school uniform really made people not know how rich or poor the people were. Plus people didn't have to worry about what to wear every day or, "did I wear this last week, I can't wear that again cause people will judge". So yeah. Plus like asker said, people get used to work uniform. I found that those who haven't grown up with uniform find themselves more annoyed and rebellious about work uniform than those who have grown up with uniform.

• You shitting me that bullshit

• My school uniform that I wear to when I having sex is much sexier than the normal uniforms lol