Should everyone just skip out on the Brazilian Olympics?

Okay so the Olympics are coming, and I think the countries and people going is a bad idea. Here are my reasons why:

(1.) Brazil is unstable
Their officials just ousted their corrupt president, and currently the country is politically unstable. Their is no real sense of order and the police have little control over the country. Rape, theft, and murder is rampant in the city of Rio, and the officials have also been taking homes from the poor. The country's economy is also on the brink of collapse.
Should everyone just skip out on the Brazilian Olympics?Average day in Rio:(2.) Their water is literally full of shit. And watersports athletes will be competing in this shit water and might end up sick.
(3.) The country's infrastructure for the games is already collapsing, and people have already died from it.

(4.) Zika has completely outbroken in the country. The CDC has said that women who are pregnant or even THINKING of becoming pregnant ever shouldn't go. Seriously that's a giant red flag and basically they're telling nearly half of the world's population it's a bad idea to go. So I think that means everyone shouldn't go.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is why they should be more selective in picking the host cities to begin with. But it's so pc now.

What Girls Said 12

• Dude, no offense, but this kind of shit is EXACTLY why people in other countries who dislike Americans, dislike Americans.

It's obvious from what you've written here that you don't know anything about Brazil, have never been there, and have *probably* never been to South America -- and perhaps any third-world country -- at all.

Srsly... ugh.

I was just in Brazil a little over a month ago. It is a perfectly fine (and fun!) place to visit, and they will bend over backwards to make the place accommodating for tourists.

__

Let's look at what you wrote:

"Their officials just ousted their corrupt president, and currently the country is politically unstable."

^^ They could have written this about the USA after we impeached Clinton over the whole stain-on-the-blue-dress thing.
    Also, with what's happening within the Republican party right now, a perfectly credible claim that the USA is "politically unstable" could be made, too. I mean, "politically unstable" is weasel words that could pretty much be said about any large democratic republic at any time.

"Rape, theft, and murder is rampant in the city of Rio"

^^ Every city has bad parts.

In Brazil, it is PERFECTLY OBVIOUS which parts of town are The Bad Parts of Town. They are readily identifiable to absolutely anyone with an ounce of common sense.
    As long as you are not an idiot who will venture blindly into obviously bad parts of town **while looking like you are carrying money**, YOU WILL BE FINE.

The same is NOT true for certain parts of Los Angeles, by the way. Some of the worst, most gang-infested parts of South Central LA and Compton are tree-lined suburbs with grassy lawns and single-family homes lining the streets.

"and the officials have also been taking homes from the poor"

^^ Eminent domain happens in just about every country. Read up on how the South Bronx ghetto was created by the building of the Cross-Bronx freeway. Really, though, do you think there's any country in the world where this DOESN'T happen?

__

The only concern THAT MIGHT be legitimate, here, is the Zika thing -- but even that hasn't been substantiated. (The problems might also have been caused by the insecticides used to kill the mosquitoes.) If you are planning an imminent pregnancy... yeah, be careful. If you are anyone else, go! Have fun!

• dude brazil is corrupt as shit. also its not a third world country because they have democracy there.

1st wold country = democracy
      2st world country = communism
      3rd world country = anything but the above

its a terminology from the 80s during the cold war. its a bit outdated though.

• @lost_alice Lol... Apologies on behalf of my fellow Americans here baha

(it's ok though -- all the haters will miss the chance to eat pão de queijo. That's karma right there lol)

• Right on Redeyes!

• I am extremely concerned about a widespread Zika outbreak because of the sheer number of people in a small area, and I don't really think anyone could provide adequate protection from mosquitoes at an event of that size. Not only could people be infected directly, but there's a chance the mosquitoes themselves could be transported worldwide and multiply. It could lead to a worldwide, debilitating, and extremely expensive pandemic that could lead to tens of thousands of infants with severe birth defects.

• I'm not sure how I feel. I don't want to encourage people to not go, but I do think they should be informed of the risks. I also feel that if there was an effort to get people to not go it would make Brazil's economic issues worse. We don't need two Argentinas.

• I mean, we might be in a political crisis but that just sounds like a completely distant and extremely sensationalist point of view. Of course, Brazil is in a political crisis. And we all know there is the Zika virus thing. Now coming from someone who has always lived in Rio de Janeiro:
    - I've never been raped
    - I've never been robbed
    - My life has never been threatened
    - I never had Zika
    - Any place in Rio that isn't decadent doesn't have shit water. My stomach is very sensitive and I'd be dead by now

Those can be applied to ALL my friends.

I'm not denying Brazil is dangerous, not organized at all or corrupted. Just saying that it doesn't affect everyone.

• I just think it's wrong how the government screwed over people and the Olympic committee ITSELF was denying problems, like water safety. Brazil might be WORSE off from hosting this Olympics if they don't get the revenue.
      It's not just Brazil though. South Korea also did very shady things for their games in 1988

• If that bug isn't nightmare fule enough to make you never want to go to brazil then I dont know what is...

• It's not really that bad... Don't buy into the hype. :P

• I doubt people will get Zika as soon as they take their left foot out of the airport door. If they stay well within the safer areas, then it should be ok. I doubt if someone wants to visit Brazil, as if they 're gonna go gallavanting every inch of Brazil til' they 'd get shot or get infected by Zika.

• Yeah I doesn't seem like a good idea to hold them there.

• the legend of the second image should be average day in a favela in Rio. most of the city isn't like that

• You forgot how they're removing Native Americans from their land for a stupid game.

• Now is the time to stick together!

• Why am I not surprised that this mytake was written by an American?

• Oh fuck, thought it was a mytake for some reason.

• Oh, sorry that we have the resources to look at the news and see all of the major problems with the country and Olympic set up. It is a RISK to the athletes and spectators when the infrastructure is collapsing and the water is unsafe.

• I agree, i think its a bad idea to host the Olympics in Brazil.

What Guys Said 28

• i think the biggest issue is that in the past few years the country has sunk billions into prep for the olympics and world cup... built stadiums that aren't even used now. pushed projects through with money that could help their infrastructure

that's teh big issue. political instability? whatev, every country has issues. polutions... every country has polution

brazil just needs to do the right thing and stop petitioning for these world events that do not bring in the kind of revenue that help the country. all you need to do is look up old olympic cities and the stadiums constructed specifically for the games that fall into disrepair and aren't used. it's sad sad sad. countries with the stadiums already constructed should hold the games. not countries who have to build entire complexes on the backs of it's citizens

• The problem is that it's too late to turn back. Not going would harm Brazil even more, cause they're counting on recovering those millions of dollars spent on infrastructure and everything that the Olympics need. Not going would mean all that money is lost. Gone.

The committee needs to do a better job choosing the host. Brazil should have never even been considered, but the committee doesn't choose what country is better, but what country gives them more money. It always works like this with this kind of things, that's why the World Cup is gonna be held in Qatar. I wouldn't be surprised if soon we'll have an Olympics in Saudi Arabia -_-

• Although there are political games being played you need to put everything in the big picture. For the large part, Brazil has made a huge impact on the economy due to its rise in manufacturing and agricultural industries. Rio de Janeiro also is a small part of Brazil and the political games being played there are not necessarily representative of the whole country. Also you have to read between the lines of what so called news you do hear since there is a battle between capitalist and socialist politics. Billions of dollars have gone into the Olympics in Brazil and by not supporting the Olympics will have catastrophic measures on the Brazilian economy. To be honest it sounds like a right wing American plot against socialist politics in Brazil to ruin their country. The Americans have already done similar things in other socialist countries trying to push their own political views and ways of life onto them. America even tried to steal Argentina's oil but Argentina protected themselves which saved their economy from collapse if the Americans were successful in ripping off their oil industry.

But despite all this, i think the Olympics in Rio will hopefully be successful since people all over the world enjoy this event.

• you make good points. poor brazilians... it was bad before all that...

• It was a huge mistake to give Rio/Brazil the 2016 Games.

• Rio can be a fucked up city, I've never been there and I actually don't wanna go anytime soon. Things are politically unstable here, but I don't think that it can harm the Olympic games. Well, since we already hosted the Pan American Games and a World Cup, I'm pretty sure we can handle the Olympic games while it happens (the consequences of it are another story).

And Zika is still mostly in the Northeast, Rio is in the Southeast, it's not so scary as people say.

• lol, you see what I mean though? my first sentence, up there... "Hey, fellow Americans, this is why everyone thinks Americans are assholes"
      SMH

I did see this guy on the street in SP while I was there:
      scontent.cdninstagram.com/.../..._1026684338_n.jpg
      He's right there in the middle of Av Paulista, so, *someone* appears to think Zika is something to take seriously in the southeast.

But, yeah, lol

I mean, if there's one upside to all this hysteria... at least the people who actually come visit Brazil (from the USA) will be the cool people!
      right?
      ... like, all the neurotic people who worry too much, and who have to have everything just *so* perfect, will stay home lol

• @redeyemindtricks Well, Zika is present in the southeast as well but it's much less. I don't know anyone where I live with the virus, but people do care about it. It's easier to find people with "dengue" than with Zika.

• There's way too much money involved in the Olympics. I don't think they'll get cancelled.

• Yes. Way too much money is used on the olympic games. It should be used to help their own people instead of being spent on this prestigious project.

• Yeah but no one can shake their ass like Brazilian hotties funk dancing. I mean have you seen them? 😍👅👅👅

• People watched the ones in China and in Russia so this should give you an idea of what it'll be like. I figure the next ones will be in North Korea. I bet Kim Jung Un will compete and win gold in every competition.

• Yes, I skip out on every Olympics other than I watch trap and skeet a little just cuz I tried out for the u. s. team but everything else is pretty boring to me personally.

• Yeah lets not watch it

• It's fine
    I mean every country have some flaws but who cares?
    No one really cares and i think if the decision was taken that Olympics will held in Brazil then they would've thought of something cause it isn't a small decision so just chill

• I think infrastructure collapses and unsafe water that athletes will be competing in is more than "some flaws"

• I've seen studies where major cities in America like L. A. are worse off (crime rate wise) than Rio, so for the most part I feel like it's blown out of proportion. With the exception of the Zika virus thing.

• Still, you can't deny the bad infrastructure that is already collapsing and wasn't even finished, PLUS the unsanitary water athletes will be competing in. It's more than just crime or slums, it's how everything else is also in terrible shape.
      The LA Olympics of 1984 were actually some of the most successful Olympics of all time, and the city gained $200 million in revenue from it when most other places lose millions instead.

• All good points probably would be a good idea to do em there.

• I agree reluctantly, cause it has really nice beaches. But if you need more info listen to "Brazil" by Declan McKenna

• I dont think it will matter if you go or not. Brazil is a filthy rich country but the rich have all the money and keep the poor down but are forced to live behind high walls. A lesson in how not to run a country to the US.

• But Brazilians are so sexy. And Dr. Krieger comes from Brazil.

• Bad/non-ideal conditions are basically true for every none first world countries. So what, just deny them the right to host the most prestigious sporting event? Now if the committee were forcing a country to do it then that's a different story.

• Zika is prob their boggest concern
    But I don't know if they have a fall back for the olympics so its prob a suck it up or dont go kind of thing

• Anything starting with "Brazilian" is going to be hot!

• No, this would be great for Brazil.

• lol this dude talks like brazil is just a bad country.

• Nobody should ever go to the Olympics, anywhere.

Leave mass games to the north Koreans.

• gonna watch it from tv no problem

• gonna watch it home in tv no problem

• They did not oust a corrupt president, there was a mediatic coup d'etat.

• Yeah probably after the Zika outbreak

• The ousted president was not corrupt, the guy who replaced is the real corrupt dictator, he's controlled by the jewish mafia and is banking on making billions to put in his swiss account.