Do people like to study because they like the education or because it will get them a job?

I've always wondered this.

Most Helpful Guy

• I can only speak for myself. I have always loved school, both as a teenager and as an adult. My dad told me once that I had been an extremely inquisitive child and I had asked way more questions than my other siblings or any other child he's ever seen. I constantly bombarded my parents with questions about the world. For example I fell in love with astronomy when I was 5, after my dad bought me a book about it. So I learned all the stats about the different planets in our solar system and the different stars and black holes etc. and I would ask him how black holes are formed or how the sun produces its energy etc.
    When I got into university, I decided to do a double major in two liberal arts fields. I will earn well in my future job that I'm aiming at and I will stay in the field but it's not why I'm studying these things. I'm studying them because I love the topics and because I love learning about them. There's always another question that pops up in my head. I'm glad my girlfriend is like that too. Oftentimes we just talk about academic things during dinner. I guess other couples would find this weird but honestly, I can't even imagine what other couples talk about. The weather? The new jeans they bought? Urgh. Already bores me to death only thinking about it.
    I also like to take classes that are not related to my two majors. For example last semester I signed up for Japanese studies. I had 10 hours of Japanese writing and speaking classes every week (along with lots of homework and tests of course). It was super intense because I was still doing all the work for my actual fields "on the side". But it was also tons of fun. I've learned so much about the Japanese language and Japanese culture. Next semester I'm thinking about taking some classes in the natural science department or law school. Maybe I'm gonna attend some introductory classes in biology or law. That'd be fun. Or Sociology. Or Scandinavian studies. Hell, there are so many things that interest me and that I want to know more about. If I was rich enough that I didn't have to get a job, I would just stay at university my whole life and study all kinds of things.

For me, studying something simply to get a job is like eating a Wagyu-beef entrecĂ´te or a fancy lobster dish just to get full. Sure, getting full is a good side effect. But the main focus should be on enjoying yourself.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think most people study because it will get them a job. Lots of people hate school.

What Guys Said 7

• I love knowledge and I love learning. I have done this on my own since I was in grade school for most every topic (theology, mythology, folklore, occult, anthropology, philosophy, history, zooology, biology, astronomy, psychology, physics, etc.) and I can tell you its not been for a better career (since I'm self taught no one acknowledges it so it can't be used for a career).

• That's a damn good question to wonder about.

I feel like many think that university courses don't offer the best possible tools that you need in work. I think this is true but the question is, is university meant to be a place where people can study and research to gain and understand highest level of knowledge in their field, or is it a pitstop for work life.

As for myself, I study my major because I REALLY do enjoy it and minor to have more easier time getting a job. :)

• Both. Mostly a job, but I don't think most philosophy or women's studies majors plan on working in those fields.

• What about the more technical fields like engineering?

• I don't think people take that for personal growth. For that you expect a good job.

• I'm actually a nerd who really likes to read and study. I enjoy school.

• To get a job. No one likes to study because they like it.

• Not true. Some people take classes that have nothing to do with their job, after they already have a degree and it will do nothing for them financially. Sometimes for the social aspect, sometimes because they just want to learn.

• Absolutely not true. I love to study and learn new things and I have always been that way. If I had enough money to not worry about food and rent and that kinda stuff, I would just go to university for my whole life. There are so many interesting fields I want to study. I don't think I'll ever get sick of it.

• You couldn't be further from the truth lol

• Both. The two are intertwined. There is no dichotomy.

• I don't really think so. Studying can be like a chore, where you're sitting down with your books forcing yourself to memorize and read large amounts of material.

Education on the other hand doesn't have to be. For example, when I was in school, I loved the projects I was given in my program as it really helped me strengthen my research skills and actually learn about the topic at hand. Those were the highlights of my degree.

I didn't like large amounts of reading or memorization for exams.

• Research is so much fun., I miss Uni. But I'm going to get into business now. Maybe I'll apply my research experience.

• Both, although it's pretty expensive to do it just for education unless u can afford/get covered

• Hmm.

I wish they'd conduct more research about this. When I was a student at school, I could never decide whether I was the oddball for not liking what i was studying or everyone felt that way but did it because they would get a better future.

• It's to expensive otherwise, most do it to get a job, some just for further learning. Most don't continue studying cause can't afford, prices are crazy for courses

What Girls Said 2

• I like learning about biology, genetics, physiology, etc BUT I hate studying about physics and some topics in chemistry, so, for that, I'm doing it because I need a job, not because I like it.

• I love learning new things