Should I come clean?

Alright. So I have this friend (and yes this is an actual friend) and this friend has been like my right-hand lieutenant pretty since I've met him almost 3 years ago. When we first met, we were both just getting out of relationships with other people so neither of us really wanted to start anything new, but I loved the companionship with him and a friendship just blossomed from it. Well, recently, after getting over another would-be relationship, I found myself falling for him. Hell, I have completely fallen for him and I want to see where it goes. He's a recent college graduate, and I will be done in December and he's someone I can see myself building something great with. The only problem is, I've been telling him this big fat lie since I've met him about me. And in all honestly, the lie is soooooooooo stupid. I wish I never told him in the first place. But I did and now it's literally the only thing holding me back. I want to come clean but I feel like the second I do, I will lose all of his respect and a lack a relationship will be the least of my worries because I won't even have a friend anymore. But at the same time, I can't stand having this big lie. Should I tell him or just let bygones be?

Ugh. Guys it's soooooooo stupid, but basically I lied about when I graduated from college. The truth is I haven't graduated yet, and I won't be done until December of this year and that is something that I'm very ashamed of. But he thinks I'm going into my second year of grad school. The reason the whole started is because when I met him I was taking a year off from school and hiding it from everyone by lying about it. Now, almost 2.5 years later, it's just spun out to this huge mess.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well tell us what the big lie is. If a silly lie is the only thing that is holding you back go for it. If you two are really that close chances are you two have been alone together on something that can be considered a date already. Just ask him to coffee or go for a real date. At least tell him the truth about the lie so after your freind gets over your lie you might be able to date him.

• Well if he is your best friend he probably already knows. Tell him and see what happens. Good luck with it. Thanks for mho

Most Helpful Girl

• You can't start a relationship on a lie, it will always be there and it will eventually cause problems for you. Be honest and let him make a decision based on honest information.

What Guys Said 2

• Tell us the lie and let the all-powerful internets judge you!

Kidding. But, like some have said, lying is bad, based on how big the lie is, it could be a deal breaker or it could go the opposite. Tell him and then be completely honest about it. Show him your human side. You'll never have a chance with him if you keep it from him.

• It is not that bad.. I would say it and come clean, just like you wrote above... I may say you are silly or stupid for lying, but at least you will have a clean plate.

What Girls Said 2

• Eh, it's not that big of a deal. Just let him know you'll be done really soon. No biggie... Whatever

• If it were that easy, I would have done it a long time ago. But both people who pride ourselves on education and it's embarrassing not being done with college and having people who are younger than me finish before me. I just don't know if he's get it.

• Well it depends what the lie is.