What to do with a cat randomly being aggressive?

She acted happy all day today and then I went outside. I didn't touch anything or come into contact with anything at all. Then once I went inside she started hissing and now hisses at anyone who tries to go into my room. So I've just shut her up in there for now.

Only environment changes is my sister and her boyfriend are visiting and brought their 2 dogs with them. Which my cat hasn't tried to hurt them at all but then started acting angry once I came back inside today. Which I can't remove them from the house to make her happy. So I feel like I have to remove my cat to some where else and leave her locked up in a room. What other options can I try? Yes trying to get close to her at all she will start to hiss and then attack if you try to touch her.

I have to get her out of my bedroom, other wise I won't have any place to sleep.

Most Helpful Guy

• Its the two dogs putting her on edge. She's agressive to you because she doesn't trust anyone at the moment. It happened to us when we looked after a friend's dog for a couple of days. It will pass when the dogs are gone, but i would be very wary of the cat at the moment.

When you were out, did the dogs come into contact with the cat? (Run into each other in the house) They can smell her all over the house and might have been sniffing under your door which would spook the cat. She also lost her "protector' so she's in maximum defense mode.

• Nope, one was laying in a room with my sister far away from her and the other one was outside.

• So far she has and have tried to make more places for her to hide.

• Ahh i see, if its practical, stay with her as much as possible - she wants her pet human right now more than anything else 😂. Good idea on creating 'safe zones' for her!

Most Helpful Girl

• The dogs gotta go. If i take my 2 cats to my mothers place they both freak out because of a little dog. My cats freak out because the smell of dogs that are close by to our house as well and they freak out because the sound of dogs barking. My cats are permanently inside cats. You should never have brought dogs in house or near it. Cats do change after time and she feels really threatened because of it, animals are supposed to be slowly introduced and as the dogs being so big i dont think your cat is ever gonna accept it and some cats and dogs can never live in the same house at all. And if you stink of the dogs you need to keep away from your cat even walking outside in the grass where the dogs pissed you may have walked in it and you have brought the smells back in with you. you can not leave your cat in distress like that.

• I can't get rid of the dogs, they are staying however long my sister and her boyfriend are staying.

• Yeah she was fixed when I adopted her.

• Oh ok, maybe ask your local veterinary or what ever it is where you live for some advice. I would hate to see my cat like you had decribed i definitely would never bring a dog near my cats again. But what ever it is hope its not bad.

What Guys Said 12

• If you go into your bedroom, she will hide under a piece of furniture, but you'll be able to sleep. Cats might attack twitchy toes in bed, but she isn't going to attack you while you sleep.

Cats are very territorial, and DO NOT LIKE CHANGE. It doesn't matter how good the dogs are, or how much they'd leave her alone. She will stay that way until they leave, maybe a day or two more.

I'd suggest leaving your door open. She will likely stay in your room, but that might help her acclimate to what is happening. Just don't let the dogs wander into your room.

• you're the kitteh, if you don't even know how should we do?

• Feed it cat nip ^_^

• Water gun.

• Just leave her be and give her the freedom to go anywhere in the house.
    There has been a change in her environment (the dogs and strange people). Cats dislike change.
    She will adjust.
    Just love her and let her hop into bed with you during the night. She needs love and cuddles, but on her own terms and in her own time.

• So I basically can't go to sleep tonight if I leave her in my bedroom. I've left the door open all day today and when I tried to get her to go outside of my room. She just ran right back in and wouldn't leave.

• You can sleep in your room. Expect that during the night she will hop into bed with you for cuddles. That will probably happen while you are asleep. She is frightened and insecure.

• She's attacking people and trying to hurt us.

• Punt it over the back fence

• neuter.

• leave her be and give her a few treats

• She's taken over my bedroom atm and it's 7:54pm. So I guess i'm forced to stay up all night not being able to sleep since I won't have any where to sleep.

• On occasion I sleep on the floor just for a change of pace, pile a few blankets around and such

• What you can do, is GENTLY, prod her with a broom

• shoot it

• You just have to be aggressive back, you're a lot bigger than her and she's a pussy...

• That will make everything worse.

• No it won't... I had a male cat that was massively jealous of my dog before. I asserted dominance and was aggressive back. He got his shit in line and stoped being a jealous aggressive asshole to my dog, got out of the way of me when I walked by, but was still friendly and affectionate to me and even became friends with my dog after that. It set the entire world in line.

• I hope you put the litter box in there for the being.

• she needs sex >_<

What Girls Said 11

• She probably just needs some time to adjust. Cats are very territorial, so she is probably not that happy that she has to share it with some "intruders" for a bit. Just leave her to herself - putting her in another room was a good idea, as it creates a space she can feel safe in. I'd say just leave her by herself, check on her, maybe sit with her for a while without trying to touch her and just talking to her instead. You could try putting a blanket or something that smells like the dogs in her room to get her used to their smell.

My cat acted in a similar way (minus the aggression) when my flatmate got her cat - didn't want to be touched for about a week and was very desperate to show the new cat who was boss. We kept the cats in separate parts of the flat for about a month, I think, and let them be in the same room only when we were around. They never became best buddies, but got used to each other after about 2 weeks or so. Just give your cat some time.

• She's in my bedroom and I need her out of there if I want to sleep.

• So move her to a different room? Or... get earplugs. I get that it's hard to be compassionate when you are tired, but try to put yourself in your cat's shoes for a moment. How would you like it if you suddenly didn't feel safe in your own home anymore? She is probably very scared. If your sister & boyfriend & dogs are visiting for a long time -maybe your cat would feel better staying at a friend's place, or maybe sister, boyfriend & dogs could do that or stay at a hotel?

• It's just weird because before my sister and her boyfriend found better jobs. They lived here for months and had the dogs, which my cat didn't flip out at all during that time. Only time my cat has ever became aggressive like this was when she smelled a cat. We don't have any other kinds of cats, unless at some point a random cat walked in my back yard and the smell got onto me.

• You can go to sleep. In fact, I'd recommend sleeping in your room with her tonight.

She's stressed and so you should be there. Even if you don't pet her or make physical contact. [From experience with my girls].

She might hiss and growl for a while, but she will come to remember you're her human. Just confused and scared, so she's hissing at everyone/everything.

• She's attacking people.

• It could be due to age and the sudden change of her surroundings. Plus, a dog. Most cats don't like dogs to begin with.

When you go in and sit down calmly, talk calmly to her, does she attack y? Don't freak out or it'll make her more worked up

• She probably would be happier and more Content... Locked up in a room.
    Although she is put in her own Space while you have the family and all of their animals Around from out of Town, @Mustachekitteh, Just go and visit your kitty so she knows that You are there to Care and Share, and believe Me... No hard Feelings on your Feline's End.
    It could be she Smells other Animals from somewhere outside, And this is why she is Hissing.
    Good luck. xx

• She's been locked up in my bedroom for 5 hours now and still hissing.

• Though I think the reason why she wouldn't might be due to feeling like she needed to keep watch on my bedroom. Since that's where all her stuff is too.

• Yes, you are probably right about the stuff and the bedroom deal but regardless for now, with just the dogs being there, maybe she too has gotten more Territorial and will not be quite herself totally until everything is back to normal again. xx

• Has anything changed? Any new people, plumber, boyfriend? She might be protective towards you.

Sounds like something has upset her. She's on the defensive so the best thing is to be as normal as possible. Give her her favourite treats, be calm, don't try and pick her up, just be still, encourage her verbally to you but don't approach.

If you go near her she will be worse but by speaking it encourages your voice. Treats by you will encourage trust again.

Whatever has changed she doesn't like. It might be worth asking neighbours if they have a new pet, may have triggered it

• Are her eyes in top condition?

Also, my boyfriend has a SUPER precious cat that reminds me of your cat. Honestly, the best thing is to leave her alone for a while until her brains stops wonking out. If you need to move her, put on some gloves and throw her in a spare room/unused bathroom with a bed and some food.

Why I say they are similar is because his cat hissed at him a few times for 1) coming home after a few days and 2) when they got a new cat.

• This is why cats are not my favorite lol. They can be very bipolar.

Your cat is likely being aggressive because it's threatened by the dogs. Create a comfortable ambiance in another room with some food, a litter box and a bed. Wearing protective clothing try to move the cat with a broom handle. Try to lure the cat into the room with treats. That's really the best you can do.

• She's obviously just feeling territorial with the dogs around. Try play with her with a cat toy to get some of the aggression out and, give her lots of love. She should go back to normal once they leave. It's never really a good idea to allow random people to stay with pets.

• Dump the cat, get a puppy instead. Cats are bitches. Maybe she was also on her period. Who knows? Or maybe she forgot where her box was.

• Maybe take her to the vet. If this is out of character then maybe she's hurting and just lashing out because of that

• Show her a cucumber and she will freak.

• Aww. She scared and need you. Be with her