Do you think it is rude to ask someone if a piece of jewelry they are wearing is rude?

Like a diamond necklace for instance. Is it rude to ask if they are real diamonds on her necklace?

• yes
  • no
  • It depends (please explain)
Is real*

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's not.
    If anything it is a compliment. It means that their necklace could possibly pass for real authentic jewelry.

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh heaven forbid you have to say "no, this is not a real diamond necklace, we're too poor for that". No I don't think it's rude, it's just a question. I mean, why are you wearing a necklace if not to draw attention to it anyway?

What Girls Said 16

• If they were real, I don't think the woman would be offended. More so like "Yes, they're real.".

I believe the only people (IMO) that'd be offended would be if they were fake diamonds.

I don't wear fakes and don't own diamonds. If the day ever comes that I do- Would not be offended if someone asked.

• I think if I met a stranger and said it in a tacky way, yea. Or if I said it in a mean spirited way, of course. But if I'm talking with a girlfriend :) I don't think it's mean, she knows I'm simply curious.

Ex) If my sister visited and said her husband and given her a necklace and it had diamonds, I would ask if they were real and then we would squeee when she said they were. haha

• Well I'm a cashier at Target and a woman came into my lane to check out. i noticed she was wearing what looked to be a diamond necklace around her neck. so just being curious i asked her if it was real. She said it wasn't. No problemo right? Well after she had left, the customer behind her told me that it was rude to ask if someone's necklace is real. I was like 'huh'?

• I have not. it good? :o

• I'm watching the play through by H20delirious (something like that) loving it so far

• i think it all depends on the person... some wouldn't mind while other would and might think its an insult

• i wouldn't say it's rude. id just wonder what sparked the question.

• Yes because it means you're doubting their ability to afford real ones. Although if you are close friends or are approximately in the same financial Situation (coworkers on the same level), you can ASK that.

• I wouldn't say it's rude

• haha no i wouldn't see that as rude LOL

• Depends on how you ask it lol. For the most part, no, I would say it's not. Not everyone can tell a real gem from a fake one.

• It's a little tacky.

• Whats tacky about it?

• Its just weird to me... Like im not trying to be rude or offensive about it

• I'm sure you weren't. Which is why I don't think it's rude but very tacky. Especially since you didn't know each other well.

• Most probably would get overly offended and take the whole thing the wrong way.

• It's not rude, but it's kind of tacky.

• yes don't ever ask cause if they are not someone is getting their ass kicked

• No it's not, I have been asked before if my ring was real gold or not.

• Why do you think other people find it rude though?

• In my opinion, I think because people assume that the other person who asked, assumes that they are poor and probably can't afford 'real' jewelry.

• I think it depends on the person
    I wouldn't find it rude

• Well if it's a friend of yours it's fine but if it's some older lady u know than no don't ask

• It depends who it is, where you are and what your relationship to that person is.

What Guys Said 8