Should fathers have the right to be in the delivery room?

well i am asking this questions as i am wondering what people think on the topic cuz when two people have a baby only one of them gets to be at the birth cuz u know the women has to give birth and everything but then i see it from the mans point of view having no right to be at any midwife or ultrasounds appointments but also being able to be banned from ur own child's birth all cuz the relationship did not work out seems a bit unfair to the man don't u think as the father is a parent too should he not have the same rights as the mother during pregnancy
what do u guys think and any answers will be more than welcome
thanks

Most Helpful Guy

• when a man becomes a father his brain goes through dramatic changes. the brain chemistry changes so that there would be less risk taken. being present during childhood allows the man to establish a bond with the child in these crucial first moments of its life. taking this away would further minimize the role of fatherhood,

What Guys Said 17

• It should be required that all fathers not only be present in the delivery room, but also have a 12-pound Hubbard squash thrust unceremoniously into their anus in sympathy!

• I think fathers do have a right I mean at the end of the day that life was created by both of you and without both of you that life would not have been conceived and regardless of what happened between you to it's still his son or daughter.

Though they already have a right to be in there and a lot of fathers are in the delivery room when their children are born.

• i mean should it be a law

• Well I wouldn't go that far, not all fathers are able to be there, whether they want to be or not, it should be a choice but they should have the right to be there no matter what.

• Yes he should be in there. Where he stands is up to the woman, and then up to him where he wants to stand.

• I thought the father was allowed to be there during the birth of his child.

Definitely i think it should be a right.

• In Europe it's common.
    My son assisted his wife when she gave birth last year.
    I could not assist my wife because my son was delivered through a cesarean section , thus in the OR instead of the delivery room.

• I don't think it's a "right". They should definitely be allowed in as long as all parties are comfortable with it, but it's the woman that's pushing a baby out of her body, so if she doesn't want him there (be it he cheated, or he left for a long time, or knows he drinks too much, or could be a danger to the baby or herself for whatever reason) then he shouldn't be there.

I don't think women like being alone in that situation, so chances are the dude did something really bad to piss her off so much she wouldn't want him in the delivery room. But still, the woman should have the final say in this case.

• but why if the women expects child support and for the father to be a well father why ban him and why should he not have the right to be there as he did make the kid like the women so why should only one be at the birth and why should the women have the right to ban the other parent from such a monumental event

• ok then well say u had a girlfriend and a day before the birth she breaks up with u and the bam u cannot be at the birth but then u have to pay for the next 18 years for a kid u did not even get to see be born all cuz the women did not want u there who would u feel and how stressed would u be sitting out in the waiting room or not even knowing u have become a dad until ur child is 3 weeks old and not being able to see the baby unless u get consent of the mother how fair is that

• I am still going to go with that being really odd. Unless the woman is a psycho, I don't think she would break up with her boyfriend just because. If she breaks up with him because she was seeing another person, she probably won't ask him to pay child support, and if the boyfriend was being abusive, then she has every right not to want him there when the baby is born.

And I do doubt that this will ever happen to me, to be honest, seeing I'm asexual and homoromantic, but let's say it does. If she just cut me out just because, well, yeah, I'd feel awful, but I'm kind of trusting that I wasn't with a crazy person that cuts me off "just because", I would assume she has a reason.

I would think it's fair because I'm not the one that carried that kid for 8-9 months.

Also, can you please use punctuation? It really is complicated to understand you.

• i dont think they should necessarily have the right per se... but i'd be very disturbed at a woman who wouldn't allow the father of her child to be there in that moment

• i agree it is a bit wrong if u do not even want the father at the birth of urs and his child

• Here the in province of Ontario, Canada the fathers have been allowed in the delivery room for at least thirty years and are even asked to cut the umbilical cord. They're then allowed into the recovery room with the mother until she's able to go to a regular room.

• i mean do u think they should have the right even if the mothers says no

• Well here she doesn't have the right to refuse him entry unless there is a restraining order against him.

• Who is banning Dad's from the child birthing? Never heard of such a thing. I was at almost all of the doctor appointments, in the room while she was going through labor and in the O. R. when she had her C-cection. I held both of my children first for at least an hour and a half while she came out of anesthesia.

• i mean say u and the mother were no longer together and she said no u are not being at the doctors or birth but u are paying for everything after what would ur reaction be

• A Dad pays so his childs needs are met.

• that is good but why should he do that if he is being banned from being a dad and doing everything a dad dose like i don't know being at his child's birth

• I think if a man is barred from the birth of his child he at that point should no longer have any responsibility to the child or mother financial or otherwise.

• What about if it's a C-section, where it's usually up to the surgeon on who's allowed in the OR?

• @musicbrain5 no I mean only in situations where the mom said I don't want him there. I should have been more specific.

• If no one is stoping him, it's unacceptable for him not to be there, and I never buy the I was at work excuse. I have never worked for someone that will say, no you can't be at the birth of the child...

I specifically meant but was not specific in my words, where he is barred by the mom or the moms family.

• No, it should ultimately lie with the mother because the mother is technically the patient. It's a violation of doctor/patient privileges and confidentiality. While it would be NICE if the mom allowed the father in there, I don't think she should be forced to do so. It's kind of impeding on her rights. Plus most women allow the father in there anyway unless they are on horrible terms, the father is abusive, or he just in general stresses her out. gotta put the baby first mate.

• but is the baby not a patient to meaning the father has the right to see the baby even if the mother says no

• lol, now you just sound fucking stupid. So because the mother DARES to be comfortable as possible when pushing another human being through a 10 cm hole, that means the father has the right to say 'fuck you and that kid and I'm no raising him'? Now who's not thinking about the child?

The stupidity spewing from your posts is ridiculous. I'm not gonna argue with you and your nonsense anymore. Bye.

• well then come back when some women bans u from being at ur own child's birth then takes u to court for every penny u have ever made so u can see ur kid maybe ever other weekend maybe and don't u dare tell me that it is unfair or nor equal as in ur words "The stupidity spewing from your posts is ridiculous" and i am only trying to see if things can be more equal and the start of that is to give fathers the same rights as mothers like being able to be at the own child's birth

• Yes I would want to be there when my child is born

• "Right"? No.

• Ofcourse! I thought dads were allowed

• I was at every doc apioment and birth of all my kids even delivered my second alone

• Really? You didn't make to the hospital on time or was it home birth?

• @helloitsmethere home births... 2 ND child midwives didn't make in time so it just did what they did on first child birth... plus we read a lot and kinda knew what to expect... minus major complications... baby came out in a pool in our living room totally fine

• I think I should have the right to not be subjected to run on sentences.

• well duh

What Girls Said 19

• If the women have the father actually present in their life who wants to be a good father to the child, think yourself incredibly lucky. Some of us are forced to do it alone and even received the odd death-threat for going through with it, and ongoing support? Ha. no such thing for the unlucky few. Let the man be in the room. Sure, tell him their are boundaries and he still has to respect your privacy, but he should be there when the child is born.

• but do u think it should be a law that he has the right to be there even if the mother says no

• that is only a limited understanding. people will automatically select people who are unlike their parents and family, this is done by smell of pheromones. if the pheromones of a person repulse you that will be so because they have similar scent to your parents. this is natures way of not letting us mate with people who have to similar genes.

• i agree to this. we as fathers have tho obligation to pay for our children yet we dont have the same rights as the mother.

• Guys are usually allowed to be in the room. I think that it should be a right that he's there.

• i know they are usually allowed but i was asking what if the mother says no i do not want the father there should he still have the right to be in the delivery room even if the mother says no

• Yes, they should. It's their child too.

• A father should be there to support the mother or their child even if they don't through all the pain that comes with being pregnant. A father of an unborn child should support their wife/girlfriend/child's mother through it all. If he isn't there, the mother of the child may feel that he doesn't care much to even be there for the birth even if it may not have been the case. Plus, it is up to the mother to decide who can be present during the birth of her child. Anyone who could/would stress her out should't be present for health and risk reasons.

• but then what happens if the mother just bans him out of anger even if he has been an amazing father seems a bit wrong the mother can just do that

• Paying child support won't kill anyone who has a job. A man who can't pay child support is a man who shouldn't be making children. Your reasons and logic is stupid. It's plain and simple to understand. If you stress out a pregnant woman, you can kill the baby. Therefore, you must not be around the pregnant woman. If you can't pay child support, don't have children. End of conversation. If you can't understand what I'm telling you, you shouldn't be a parent because you'd probably have many miscarriages, oh and cause other women to miscarry their babies.

• and u don't seem to understand that a baby is made by two people so what gives the mother the right to ban the father from being at any of his own child's ultrasounds or his own child's birth but then being forced to pay support to a women that banned him from everything to do with the pregnancy but have u every though that women like u are the reason men run away or refuse to be fathers and pay support cuz they do not have the same rights right from the beginning like the mother and anther thing thank u very much saying i will have miscarriages as i have had to already

• Absolutely! The guy out as much effort into making the baby as the woman did. Without the guy, we wouldn't be able to give birth anyway! So give the guy some credit I say. Let him see his baby on the ultrasound and let him be there when you finally bring that new baby into the world. I think women can be rather selfish at times. But it's just as special a time for the guy as it is for us women.

• i know but why is it not a law yet saying he can be there no matter what the mother says

• Fathers should want to be in the delivery room.
    If he doesn't want to be there when their kid is born, that's really sad tbh.

• i was saying what if he want to be there but the mother is stopping him should he still have the right to be there by law

• You're right, until his name is on the birth certificate, he is under no official obligation.

• @AperolSpritz no it would make no difference is he is on the birth certificate or not he would still not have any official obligation cuz he did not have the same rights as the mother from the start so he would not have any responsibilities until he has the same rights as the mother from start till end and that includes being in the delivery room and at ultrasounds

• Ideally he should be allowed but if the mother is far too uncomfortable, she can say no. We have to just accept that certain discrepancies in "rights" are given to us by nature. The woman HAS to endure the pregnancy and birth so the least she gets is the decision of who's there. He definitely should be allowed to see the child there unless there are serious considerations like a restraining order or something.

• ok then so why should he have the same level of responsibility if he does not have the same level of rights it is unfair and technically slavery if u think about it

• its kind of painful to see you try to use logic. i will stop

• but i am using your logic cuz as u say everyone has the right to choose what they do with their body so in your logic u cannot make the man use his body to work just so he can pay for a child he does not have the same level of rights to so it is not just unfair but slavery plus unjust as it is technically against the law

• If the woman giving birth doesn't want him there, then no. Someone she wants there (like her mother, another relative, her new partner) should take his place. There's usually a reason why someone might not want the father of the child present. Given that she's the one that's actually being treated for something, she has the right to dictate who can and cannot be present in the delivery room.

• but why cuz if u think about it he is the father and by denying him the right to be there u are going against the equality act as u are treating him different under the law cuz he is a man and the father not the mother meaning u are not giving him the same rights every parent should have like being at the child's birth cuz he is a man
      p. s i am a lawyer so yeah

• Bro, get over yourself. If you don't want to pay child support, wear condoms. Or, to be even more certain, don't have sex. If you do get someone pregnant, you need to take responsibility by law. Don't be a deadbeat.

• i am female not a dude so i cannot get anyone pregnant but can get pregnant

• where I live people an be in the room. I think it is a right

• Not if the mother doesn't want them there. A man could stress out the woman and the baby, jeopardizing both their lives. Some women aren't with their baby fathers and don't want them in there. So, no, I don't think they have the right.

• but why should the father miss out on the most monumental moment in his life just cuz they are not together anymore seems a bit unfair to me

• @orphan Could because it happens, I just gave you a personal example lol. Learn to read.

• in your personal example could it be that the father said that because your friend was not letting him see his child so in his eyes she was taking the child away from him and come on mothers take fathers away from children everyday and ban them to only every other week end and not let them see the baby because they are not together with the father so maybe your friend was taking the child away from him ever think about that

• Your suggesting that if one of them ends the relationship the man should still be allowed in the delivery. I don't think so. He might have left her or he might have been abusive.

• ok so the mother should only have the right to be at the birth even if she was the one to end the relationship really

• he better be holding my hand

• I googled and found interesting stories... but it seems like he's usually allowed if the mom wants him there.

• I thought fathers had the right to be in the delivery room... my dad was in the delivery room twice with my mom...

• i mean if the mother says no should they still have the right to be there

• If the mom is expecting child support after banning him from the birth of his own child, that's kinda stupid in my opinion. If you are expecting child support at the end of the day then he should see the birth of his own child. As I said before, it is a right.

• so do u think it should be a law then

• Sure. Makes no difference to me.

• Yes, they should. It's his child too.

• My SO, assisted when our daughters were born.

• The father should have the same rights as the mother.

• i agree but some people don't see it that way sadly

• of course fathers should be allowed in the delivery room. They did help make the baby, after all.

• i know i was asking what if the mother don't want them there should they still be allowed in for the birth