Rate this mythological creature: The Zombie?

a fictional undead being created through the reanimation of a human corpse. Zombies are most commonly found in horror and fantasy genre works. The term comes from Haitian folklore, where a zombie is a dead body reanimated through various methods, most commonly magic. Modern depictions of zombies do not necessarily involve magic but often invoke science fictional methods such as radiation, mental diseases, viruses, scientific accidents, etc.

The English word "zombie" is first recorded in 1819, in a history of Brazil by the poet Robert Southey, in the form of "zombi". The Oxford English Dictionary gives the origin of the word as West African, and compares it to the Kongo words nzambi (god) and zumbi (fetish).

One of the first books to expose Western culture to the concept of the voodoo zombie was The Magic Island by W. B. Seabrook in 1929. This is the sensationalized account of a narrator who encounters voodoo cults in Haiti and their resurrected thralls. Time claimed that the book "introduced 'zombi' into U. S. speech".

• 5/5 my favorite mythological creature
  • 4/5 i like it a lot
  • 3/5 meh they are ok
  • 2/5 i dont really like it
  • 1/5 i hate it
  • 0/5 worst mythological creature ever!

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• That third pic would totally be me if I was a zombie, lol. I rate myself about 12 dead species out of 4 lumberjacks if so.

But I dont know, zombies was more fun in the past, its been so damn many zombie movies last 10-20years, but compared to other mythological beings the zombie is pretty boring really. Neither like or hate I guess, they are ok.

What Girls Said 12

• I only like them in games haha
    madfingerwebstatic.ssl.hwcdn.net/.../...ger_01.jpg
    DEAD TRIGGERRR!! Yes yes yes!
    Apart from that they are scary 😓
    So meh they are on 3/5

• I liked them before everything seemed to be about zombies.

• 3/5.

• Who doesn't love zombies :) I have had so many walking dead inspired dreams that I'm a badass with a knife or gun.

• I make 4 a day in my basement. They are above average depending on which type. You have the slow and easy to get a away from and then you have the run for your f***ing life don't stop until your feet are exposed through your shoes type lol.

• I HATE THEM !!!
    I ALWAYS HAVE ZOMBIE NIGHTMARES :'( FUck zombies!

• As long as you don't live in a large and crowded city you'll be fine... if you do well.. good luck.

• I can go in my home country, True, the sahara desert is huge, but we don't have guns!!!

• Yeah the French never were to bright that way, bless their hearts and that's why we're survive and if there's ever a zombie invasion feel free to come here. We got lots of weapons and lots of nice open land, that won't swallow you up in a sandstorm.

• Zombies are literally the worst mythological creatures ever! I hate them 😈

• Honestly, it feels like a cop out. It's so specific and so established, that as a mythological creature, they're just the same thing done different ways.

• what you mean?

• The facts around zombies (what they are and what they do) that it's basically the same story over and over again. The only way to make a zombie story interesting is to get into how zombies come into being.

• They're meh

• I hate them... They scare me and give me nightmares.
    I really hate that witch from left 4 dead.

• this is one of the worst

• I hate them :p

What Guys Said 13

• I'm sick of them. They're everywhere, and even when there are attempts to shake things up or add a twist (it being an infection, them being able to run, whatever) I'd tired of seeing them.

I am glad they spawned the survival genre of games but you note that now more and more survival games like The Long Dark are specifically excluding them and letting you face the perils of the wilderness.

• Vote F. 0/5

• I LOVEEEE zombies. I wish we'd have a huge outbreak of them. Id love to run around with a bat and just wack them all day

• YES zombies I hate them but I love em at the same time, mostly because my town would survive.

• zombies are overrated

• 3/5 meh they are ok

• its cool guys im gonna get ready

www.phi-emsolutions.com/.../...e-v2.0-987x1024.jpg

• 5/5 perfect

• 3/5
    way overused

• Foreshadowing of nowadays leftists.

• I fail to understand the point of this whole series.

• IGN 10/10 I like it

• Omfg I'm soooooo sick of zombies. 0/5