Why does my puppy Chihuahua brings his ball to me then tries to snatch it once I start playing with him?

I get pretty upset when he does this I don't know what he gets out of it to be honest. He bring me the toy pushes it to me with his nose then gets in the position with his but up in the air. Is this a bad thing or normal for puppies?

Most Helpful Guy

• Dog play it mostly about establishing pack dominance. In this case he's inviting you to a contest where the winner ends up with the ball.

If you want a well behaved dog you need to establish that you are dominant in his mind. Always win such games and don't play if you can't, feed them after you eat etc & etc.

If you don't give a dog clear signals of your dominance that a dog's instinct recognizes they will misbehave because one of a dog's strongest instincts is there must be a clear pack leader and if it isn't you it must be him and he doesn't know what he's doing because he's only a dog for christsake.

This can make him neurotic.

Most Helpful Girl

• He is just Enjoying'Brings his ball to me' @candygurl25 and Wants to Continue Playing and Swaying.
    I think it so cute when a pup or even a Big dog likes to play Catch, Back and Forth and End up Tiring you right out.
    Do not put him in the Doghouse, He is adorable and at least he loves to Play.
    Good luck. x

What Guys Said 4

• I feel like I read somewhere (can't find the source sorry) that dogs do this because it gives them the feeling of fighting for something. We hand feed them and pamper them, but they still want to work for something. Plus fighting over a ball or something simulates live food, which is good for them.

• I used to play soccer with my aunts dog long ago. Whenever dog saw me, first thing it would do was go fetch a ball and then drop it infront of me. If I tried to grab it / catch it, it would either grab the ball with its teeth or push it around with its nose. If I had the ball he would try to catch it while I was dribbling. I seen this trait with many dogs really, they want you to try and catch stuff from them. Its not always the "fetch" thing, they just love playing.

• He's playing. This isn't any good reason to get upset. My dog has been doing the same thing for the last five years.

• My mom has a chihuahua. It's not her real name, but I call it El diablo. "The devil" in Mexican. Chihuahuas are just bitch dogs I guess.

What Girls Said 3

• Why in the world would you get upset at this? It's adorable and totally normal. I've played with so many dogs that will bring you something because they want you to throw it but then they won't let go of it lol. He's just playing around

• Yea, don't worry :) plus it makes it more fun for him because you're playing WITH him, otherwise you just throwing the ball is a lot less interactive.

• Please let this be a troll question.

• I hope this is a troll question