Do you agree that today more and more of our police is looking more like invading armies?

Do you agree that today more and more of our police is looking more like invading armies?

• Yes I do
    53% (9)44% (16)47% (25)Vote
  • No I don't
    47% (8)56% (20)53% (28)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
7|28

Most Helpful Girl

• People have become more violent and able to get their hands on more dangerous weapons.

Though in the right picture they only wear that for the extreme stuff. Like when normal civilians are using more hard core weapons and destroying a whole city.

0|3
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 6

• They still look like that.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think they look cool...

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, but so are the criminals. Police need to be better armed then the criminals.

Just remember if your anti police try calling a crack head next time you need help

0|2
    0|0
  • Maybe in the U S but not in Canada.

0|1
    0|0
  • Crime has evolved, so law enforcement has to as well.

1|1
    0|0
    • Fraud and hacks have evolved, violent crime not so much and the days of the crack epidemic are long behind us. Cities like New York or Chicago are currently the safest they've ever been.

• Don't let the few ruin the many. Not everyone is like this

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 27

• In the US: Yes, absolutely. Sadly, police brutality is raging in America.
    Unfortunately, there is one thing that (modern) US police forces simply don't get: distance creates violence. One of the reasons other countries have less problems in this matter is because the police officers tend to be more a part of the community. In the US on the other hand, they are often regarded as intruders from outside (especially by poor people in bad neighborhoods). This is first and foremost the fault of the police. US police officers should start to patrol poor neighborhoods on foot and get into direct contact with the people who live there. Knowing the people in your community personally has huge advantages. Firstly, you don't need to do as much digging when a crime happens because you've got a feeling for who is totally peaceful and who might be a problem-maker. Secondly - and more importantly - you can have a direct influence on your neighborhood and the people in it. Especially the kids and teenagers. Imagine a police officer playing basketball with some black kids in his lunch break. During or after the game, he notices that one of the kids is smoking pot or maybe two or three kids get into a fight. Instead of freaking out and pulling out his taser, he goes up to the teenagers and tries to solve the situation. Because he comes by regularly and they all know him, they don't perceive him as an intruder but more like a fatherly guide. Being able to run and shoot is not everything police officers should be capable of doing, they should also have a good feeling for social situations. Ideally, they should be both police officers and social workers. If a cop knows the teenagers and young adults in his neighborhoods and they respect him, it's much easier to give them some advice or watch out that they don't break bad.
    Instead, what happens in America is that police officers drive around in their cars and they hardly ever step out of it. Instead of words, they use loud sirens and weapons as a means to communicate. That is not only unfortunate but also very unproductive.

And finally - it has to be said - police officers should also be willing to get directly involved in dangerous situations. Yes, being a cop is a dangerous job but that is what these people get paid for (just like fire fighters). Cops shouldn't just pull their gun if something dangerous happens. That's like a fire fighter just standing outside and splashing some water on the burning house. Sometimes, fire

0|1
    0|0
    • fighters are forced to run into the flames however in order to save people (and that is what they do). In the same way, police officers should not just stand around and shoot their weapons but instead get directly, physically involved. Many European countries show that this is possible and in most cases also better. Police officers here in Switzerland (and in some other European countries) don't even wear fire arms. This is a good thing because it forces them to perhaps disarm and restrain a person physically, thus not creating any emotional distance and not forgetting that the other person is a human being. Yes, that might be dangerous in some situations but that is what this job is about. In America, there's a huge emotional distance between police officers and civilians (especially poor or black people). This means that a black boy playing with a toy gun is immediately perceived as a "threat" or "target" (a thing), rather than somebody you should maybe have a word with.

• absolutely. they receive more and more military grade equipment, transportation, etc.

but to be fair they need higher grade tech in lots of cases now as criminals get better and better gear

0|2
    0|0
    • But we are we importing criminals?

• Show All
    • 2mo

Perfect harmony? Mass rapes and mass killings? That's harmony? Fuck you're ignorant.

• 2mo

@Homebakedcookies yeah i'm ignorant. you talk about the rapes and killings as if it is a common occurence. yes it is happening more frequently that in the past but in comparison to the total population it still occurs at a low rate.

but you believe what you believe so that's fine and we can leave it at that. you certainly don't have to resort to insults as it does nothing to prove your point or further discussion.

• Our still look like this, silly hats and all.

i.telegraph.co.uk/.../POLICE_2629140b.jpg

0|3
    0|0
  • Do you remember the San Bernardino terrorist attack? The one where Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik butchered 14 people, and had pipe bombs and explosives all over there house? Where they obviously planned on more killing of innocent people? After they fled the scene of their massacre the authorities finally caught up to them. The terrorists were killed in the shoot out but none of the police were hurt. You know what? I'm glad the authorities had the equipment and vehicles they had that day. I'm glad none of the police died and that the terrorists were stopped from further killing.
    www.pbs.org/.../RTX1WX2P-1024x571.jpg

1|1
    0|0
  • I find it interesting that the people who think they're the next generation of Marxist Revolutionaries and that "the man" needs to be brought down who fill up my Facebook feed like acne are usually poorly behaved idiots who sort of deserve their poor treatment... The poor treatment they don't even get to begin with.
    Bonus points for how they go on about bringing down capitalism whilst wearing factory produced Guevera shirts and posting on social media with their Apple phones that they bought with the benefits cheque the goverment gives them.

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe the cops go around where you live in SWAT gear, in Toronto they look like this:

storage.torontosun.com/.../...0815400_ORIGINAL.jpg

The uniform is military inspired for practicality - both for movement and carrying all the equipment police officers need.

0|1
    0|0
  • yes, the police is being militarized in the US. they are also blowing violence by the people out of proportion in the media + all the attempts do de-arm the populace. of course it is big business for the military equipment industry.

it provides a effect of shock and awe on the populace, they government tries hard to make the police present themselves as a paramilitary force. politicians have also spoken against ''tactical'' looking weapons owned by civilians, so they cannot present themselves as an armed organization.

the thing is that they want to put more people in jail as many jails in the US are privately owned and are on the stock market, more prisoners = more money. criminality comes from somewhere and it does not go away by putting people in prison. they need to tackle the problem at its source.

0|1
    0|0
  • They only wear that for riots and drug busts.
    For regular patroling they look like the pic on the left.

0|1
    0|0
    • SWAT teams armed with assault rifles are now regularly used to bust marihuana dealers/growers, just so they have something to do. This used to be very different.

• Show All
    • Almost never and not more often than they used to in the past. There's only a perception that all that military grade stuff is necessary and army surplus from Iraq and Afghanistan made it very cheap to get for police departments.

• @JohnDoe3000
      I think its silly for Marijuana to be illegal in the first place.

• Yes, they are. I hate the modern American police force for feeling the need to shoot instead of at least using a taser.

Not to mention there are racists in my local police force who were fired for making racist text messages about African Americans.

This is why I am a supporter of Black Lives Matter. I get that black-on-black crime is an issue. But when Ray Ray kills Tyrone, Ray Ray gets a life sentence. But when Officer Bob kills an unarmed Tyrone, he gets paid leave.

0|1
    0|0
  • Thats the only reason theyre there. Not to stop crime, thats the pr reason for the gullible. Theyre there to put down unions and bash dissidents in the population. The police are scum. Personally I've had my head kicked in by them a few times. Brave as fuck in a mob. Shitebags on their own. The bullied and the weak get a uniform. Theyre there to stop revolution and defend the nonce-case money men. Look at the miners strikes in the uk. Theyre just a gang of government backed thugs

0|1
    0|0
  • The police are under more threat now than they ever have been before:

Terrorism, school shootings, armed robberies, mass riots, etc...

They can't afford to be sitting ducks.

2|1
    0|0
  • First of all, the picture on the left looks like a pair of county sheriffs. Average policemen, especially in suburban areas still dress like that today.

The picture on the right looks more like an FBI task force or a team of federal policemen.

0|1
    0|0
  • Ohhh boo hoo they look scary lol. My friends department can't wear outer kevlar anymore because the public said it looked scary. Now they have to sweat and carry that uncomfortable outdated level 2 kevlar around that smells like shit.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, because of the war on drugs.
    When you fight a war, you send soldiers.
    We decided to make drug use a crime rather than just a bad health choice like smoking, so now police are decked out to fight drug gangs.

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe your police are like this in america but it's fine here.

0|1
    0|0
  • That's stupid

0|1
    0|0
  • Everyday cops don't look like the ones on the left.

0|1
    0|0
  • Uh pretty sure they would only where that if there was escalation
    The cops i see are only ever in their normal blues...

0|1
    0|0
  • Generally no, We have always had swat teams and I've never seen one deployed

0|1
    0|0
  • Cops don't regularly wear riot gear.

0|2
    0|0
  • The body guards of our corrupt systems.

0|1
    0|0
  • Let me guess. you're American

0|1
    0|0
  • Well they are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, sure they do. But is there something wrong with that? No.

0|1
    0|0
  • More violence, more weapons on the street and by far more willingness of some to kill. The police want to go home at night, so they get common protection that is available. Reduce the number of anaimals in our society and we can go back to Adam - 12 days.

0|0
    0|0
  • Aren't those pigs on the right police riots or how the fuck they call themselves?

0|1
    0|0