Is it society or mens fault that women are pressured to wear makeup? or is it women's fault for pressuring themselves?

Most Helpful Guy

• There have been a number of posts and myTakes on GAG where the female writer states very clearly that they (speaking for girls) DON'T wear makeup for guys. They wear it for themselves. So if we're to take these GAGer girls at their word, it's not society or men who are pressuring girls to wear makeup. It's their own choice.

What Guys Said 18

• I don't see how it is my fault that women feel pressured to wear makeup. So I am going to have to say women are pressuring themselves.

• There are things that are more important than laying blame or attributing fault. . . like solving a problem. If you don't want to wear makeup, stop wearing makeup instead of worrying about whose fault it is.

• Its about being at a disadvantage. If one average looking woman stops wearing makeup while all the others continue wearing it then she will look worse than her average looking peers who do She will be at disadvantage to them both socially and in regards to dating. It only works if a large amount of women agree to stop wearing it. Nobody wants to be the lone wolf that breaks away if everyone else continues.

• Women. Social demands on women are actually really low; aside from the role of perhaps maid (a lowly role in and of itself) there really wasn't a place for women. It is kind of interesting and fascinating because women aren't "intruding" on the gender role of men but actually acquiring a gender role.

The notion of the housewife and all it entailed was relatively little; if a couple didn't have children a housewife didn't have a house to clean! What was she to do? A barren woman was a strange thing in the past; she could work at a cafe perhaps but...

Anyway, women pressure other women no different than men pressure other men.

• Women do it to themselves. None of us guys told them to wear makeup.

• Yeah, we're fucking holding a gun to their heads tellin them to put on makeup.

It's a fucking choice.

• I've never seen any pressure. Women want to doll themselves up and make themselves pretty. I dunno how many times I've told my daughter off when she says she wants to wear it. Its a girl thing. Why not leave it at that

• Its definitely not men's fault. ave you ever seen how women treat each other? The biggest thing they compete on is looks. They are trained from a young age to hate their bodies, and guess who teaches them that? Their mom and the media.

• Women do it to themselves. I've never thought, "she's pretty, but she could do with a little lip liner and blush"

Most guys could care less, it's up to the lady if she thinks makeup makes her feel prettier. Using make up and blaming it on men is just a cheap way of not being responsible for your own insecurities.

• I think marketing and the wheel of consumption taught women to wear make up so that they buy it.

Think about that for a bit.

• Perhaps men could have pressurised women not to wear bucketloads of make up when women were obedient and docile. Apart from that, I think, that all the dumb shit women do compulsively, it's their own god damned faults

• i think women just want to compensate with male beauty.

• Mens? ?

• I think both have a role in this.

• It's both. I hate makeup personally cause it hides women themselves.

• 50-50%

• You can't say "I do it for myself" or "to feel confident" but then blame everyone else at the times when it comes to times when you don't like it. No one is putting a gun to your head and making you do it. Do it or don't, it your choice, just don't complain about your choice like it's everyone else's fault.

• You can't separate things like that. Society grows from everyone in it collectively some people have more influence but everyone shapes it by their nature. It's like a flock of birds swarming in the air, the ones on the edge are more likely to shape it's course but it ultimately depends on everyone's nature.

What Girls Said 10

• It can't be blamed on one single gender, everyone contributes to it. Women and men both are known to criticise those who aren't as made up (men aren't accurate when telling if a woman is wearing make up or not and women are often too harsh and critical), it's general societal pressures that can't be put down to one gender specifically.

• in my family on either sides of it women have almost never worn make up. i grew up with women who wore almost zero make up. my mom, my aunts, my grannies all almost never make up. i have never seen my aunts and grannies with make up on. only my mom. when i went into the city for school ( i live in the countryside) i was shocked how much women wear some much make up and on a daily basis, i had never seen anything like it.

• The media certainly plays quite a role in it, a very small percentage of women might even wear makeup for men, but it's still essentially still up the woman themselves to decide if she wears make-up and if there is an outer pressure like by the media or society in general it's still mainly on you if you give into it eventually. So I'd say it's mainly women putting pressure on themselves with an influence from the media.

• Well, it may be pressure for some people and for other people it may be godsent.
    It's established as part of girl culture now, whoever's fault it was. It's not as common to see a girl post pics without any makeup. This disrupts the average face, so it changes expectations. The girl who doesn't wear makeup looks tired, unkempt, blemished, plain next to the made up girl. On the flip side, some people may be stuck with flaws that won't go away so makeup is the chance to see clear skin. That brings confidence and confidence is power.

• Fault ultimately does not because it is done. What t matters is acceptance or rejection. As long as people continyally perpetuate a standard it thrives.

• Like everything else it's a cycle that both perpetuate.

I personally don't wear makeup other then on Halloween and never have

• Women pressuring themselves

• I think it is a choice...

• I don't feel pressured to wear makeup.

• I guess society?

• It is a man's fault