Are you afraid of swimming in the open ocean?

• Yes, i am
  • nope im not
I think I need to clarify what I mean by open ocean. I mean the area at the edge of the continental shelf, where the drop is. If you've never swam that far out, it's where the corals or shallow part ends and all of a sudden you see nothing but blue. Please check this link to see what I mean http://imgur.com/a/wGPi6
Would you be able to cross I guess the divide between the continental reef to the slop or drop where you see nothing blow you but blue water?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes and no.
    It doesn't really have to do with the ocean in particular but with depth. It's a fear that has always seemed very strange to me and yet I just can't get away from it. I am a good swimmer, I swim regularly and I can swim for 2 miles without taking a break. I'm not a person who would easily drown. But somehow, I've always been terrified of deep waters. When I go swimming in the ocean, I usually swim out about 300-400 feet and then return. At this distance from the beach, the sea is usually no deeper than 25-30 feet. That's just about the maximum of what I can take psychologically. Now, if somebody took me along in his motor boat and drove me way out into the ocean and said to me "if you go swimming here, I'll give you 100,000 bucks - what you should know that the ocean here is roughly 12,000 feet deep", I'm honestly not sure I could do it. I know it sounds silly because I know I wouldn't drown. But the idea of swimming there and having 12,000 feet of dark, gloomy ocean and no solid soil beneath my feet is absolutely terrifying to me.
    I said it doesn't just have to do with the ocean because I get this feeling everywhere, where the water gets very deep. In Switzerland, we don't have any sea but we have a lot of beautiful lakes. I do love swimming in them and luckily they're not quite as deep as the ocean but the idea that you're swimming in a 1,000 feet deep lakes is already very, very scary for me.
    Institutions like the NASA also have special swimming pools that are up to 120 feet deep. I even find those scary. I'm not generally afraid of depth. I can stand on a sky scraper and be totally okay. But looking down into those swimming pools and seeing how the waters becomes very dark towards the bottom... it makes me tremble.

Most Helpful Girl

• I love to swim in the ocean but I'm terrified at the same time lol. I absolutely despise fish touching my legs I get so freaked out somethings gonna bite me. And I have the fear of stepping on something bad like a sea spike. My friend did, was not a happy ending. 😅
    Murky seas are the worst though. TERRIFYING.

What Guys Said 17

• I used to be (thanks, Jaws), but not anymore!

• Hell yeah. The fact that I can't see what is underneath my scares the shit out of me.

• In the middle of the (name) ocean? Yes.
    On a beach that's facing an ocean, no problem.

• Please see update. Sorry for the vagueness

• Nope I've done it plenty of times, it's fun!

• Aw so many people missing out on the wonders of the ocean..

• Yes, because I am in Australia.
    If the sharks do not get you, the lethal jellyfish will.

• The box jellyfish? Oh wow but do you go snorkeling to see the Great Barrier reef or is that more of an activity that tourists do?

• YEA

JELLYFISH

• not really

• I can't swim, so yes.

• yeah i might drown as im not a strong swimmer

• Nahhhh I am very trained on swimming

• Yeah. I did almost drown in the Mediterranean Sea one time.

• That sounds terrifying

• You bet your bumpers!

• Yes I'm afraid sharks

• Yes, but I don't care about sharks, there are more dangerous animals in the Oceans, like the octopus, giant squid, and poisonous jellyfish.

• If ya wanna be the nxt victim of jaws, by all means. I'll stick with swimmin pool instead tbh

• Do you mean deep out at sea? Or just at the beach?
    I've swam thousands of times in the sea but it's in the mediterranean so it's closed off, but I'm still scared to swim really deep by myself

What Girls Said 15

• Yes, definitely. I love going to the beach but I rarely get in the ocean past my ankles. Lol

• Lol you're too young for that... at least cover your lower body 😂

• Yes that's the best plan... and when you're happy and swimming in there, out comes a jellyfish to get you 😈

I don't think I'm helping xD

• @zorro8888 hahaha! Right, right. -_-

• No im not, that feeling that u can die any second is my fave 😛 makes me feel powerless but powerful at the same time

• No, I'm not, but I don't care to. I'm more a beach person.

• Yes, I'm terrified. One of my biggest fears actually.

• I'm afraid of water period... swimming wise period! I can't swim and I don't plan on learning!

• yes. sharks! :(

• Seeing as how I almost drowned, yes.

• No, I enjoy it. I don't live near an ocean, so when I travel I swim in it a lot!

• Vote B

The surf coast is my second home.
    If I could live underwater, I would.

• Yes... and I can swim very well.

• A little but I do it anyway

• Yeah, I'm the same way

• Nope, I love it.

• I definitely am.

• Yes I am. It's too dangerous and I don't know how to swim.

• Nope, not at all.