I'm A Canadian But I Want To Move To America. Should I Take The Plunge And Do It?

I'm 17 and still in high school. I live in the coldest winter province with an average daily temperature of -25.1 C. But I feel like a California girl at heart lol. The US have the most stunning coastline. College there seems so much more fun. They form fraternities and sororities. The US seems very diverse. There’s a wealth of cultures from all corners of the globe. It's kinda like living at the center of the world lol. Canada is just too vast, cold and expensive for me.

Most Helpful Guy

• California is expensive. And while you may think your a Cali girl it gets hot as hell here. Not much rain and I think you will miss days when it's actually as cold as it is there. And if you wanna see snow again you better be up in the mountains because we haven't seen none sea level in decades.

• "I think you will miss days when it's actually as cold as it is there"

Hahahahahahaha...
      I occasionally hear midwesterners say this shit. Amazingly enough... none of them ever move back to the midwest.

You don't have to scrape sunshine off yr car.

• @redeyemindtricks
      Sorry I split up my responses wrong lol. The last part was for @sparkly-crystal since she is only 17. I figured that you've been here already. And yes you seem like the ideal person to be in Cali.

• @sparkly-crystal The coldest winter province? Do you live in Nunavut?
      lol

Or are you not counting the territories? So... Winnipeg?

I have a friend in Texas who grew up in Rankin Inlet, NU (it was still NWT when he lived there). That's some hardcore winter, there. The wind NEVER stops.
      He saved a couple of drawings he made as a kid... He drew rain and snow falling sideways. SIDEWAYS RAIN.
      I shit you not. If you check the weather for Rankin right now, the wind is probably at least 30km/h, and it might still be snowing.

He gave me one of those bear-shaped license plates tho <3

What Guys Said 17

• Do you have any way of qualifying for a US Green Card? Are you married to a US citizen able to sponsor you? Do you have highly skilled job offer (doctor, engineer, nurse, specialized trades, etc.) from a US company able to sponsor you for a Green Card? Do you have $1M to invest in the United States? If you can't answer "Yes" to one of these, you can't move to the United States.
    Do you have $250k to pay for a law degree in the United States? That is seven years of tuition, books, fees, and living costs and you can't work in the US while there under a student visa.

• Strange, but a lot of Belgian cops move to the US (FLA) when their career ends (because they did some things that weren't accepted by disciplinary commissions) or when they retire.
      I honestly don't see how a cop could save $1Mn.
      Other people get turned down, even with $1Mn in savings and a guaranteed state pension.
      It clearly helps to have friends.

• @AleDeEurope the US is the most expensive place to live in in my opinion Canada has free health care we have to pay 1000's for doctor to fuckin save our lives and if we dont have insurance might as well say hello to great grandma gill because doctors won't touch someone who doesn't have insurance.

• @ZenithDawn I know about medical costs in the US: I had to take a VERY expensive insurance whenI went there.

• That's funny because I live in NYC and I want to move to Vancouver, BC :p

Seriously, it's up to you. America does seem like the center of the universe because when I travel, people know everything about America and Americans but I can't say the same for them.

Interesting, eh?

• Why do you want to move to Vancouver? It's extremely expensive and over-populated.

• @sparkly-crystal, I love Coal Harbour and Stanley Park! I actually walked around the entire peninsula (13 miles total) starting at Canada Place :)

When I went last year, I had the misfortune of staying on the LES by East Hastings St. If you've ever been there, you'll know what I'm talking about. Lol.

• Please don't move to Vancouver, it's the biggest shit hole in all of North America. Don't even move to Canada lol, but if you must then go anywhere except Vancouver or Toronto.

• I can't really see any advantages except for the climate. What's cool about college fraternities and sororities? We have them in Europe too and I've always thought they're really stupid. The only thing guys do in college fraternities here are drinking a lot of beer, making a lot of sexist jokes and desperately pretending to still live in the 18th century.

• Before you do, here's a few points to think about:

Collage in the states costs about 200,000 dollars more. No healthcare. Foods are heavily, heavily processed and unhealthy with very little health standards/codes (There's been literal animal shit in American food and no one cared because it doesn't cause a serious bio-hazardous threat if it's not human feces). Police have very little penalty for improperly preforming duties (or shooting someone to death for a stupid reason). Everyone has guns, which leads everyone to be highly paranoid - this means you need a gun and be able to shoot another person to defend yourself. Despite the exchange rate, you'll likely get paid less. And everyone is sue happy (Which practically means you need a lawyer). There's commercials for lawyers on the TV and Radio. The privacy act that held to high standards in Canada practically does not exist in America (Remember those lawyers? If you fall or get injured, they'll do some crazy things just to get your phone number/email in order to contact you).

• If it is something you want to do, then I think you should consider it. Of all the things people regret, it tends to be the things they don't do, that they tend to regret the most.

• California may be expensive as well... do you have to have a coastline? always most pricy.

I've met lots of Canadians in my time and they never leave... so must be better here.

• If you can, move. The US is overall much better than Canada, which is getting worse in the social aspect.
    I've been in America for almost 3 years and I love it, I wanna stay here forever, so if you can, move, you won't regret it.

• We have free healthcare and tuition fees for full-time Canadian student is really cheap compared to the US. I might move to the states after college.

• @Azgeda A Trump victory would be a reason , not to move to the US.

• @jacquesvol
      and the fact that a lot of Americans are backing him probably is an indicator of life in the US hahahahah XD

• Lmao "The US seems very diverse". You do know what Trump is trying to do there right?

Americans are trying to get into Canada and you want to move out? Up to you honestly. The general living here is way better, we have free health care. It's not so bad in Ontario.

In a business perspective the US is more better to make the big bucks, mainly cause of the market economy (government doesn't have much control over businesses).

• It's not cheap there either from what I hear. Crime is also worse. Hotter there which is good if you like the heat. Too hot for me. More natural disasters. Traffic. Just some of the down sides to consider.

• California is crazy expensive too. But yes, of course you should do it. Come to the US for college if you can afford it. You can always go back.

• No the US is full of assholes.

• also frat houses are full of would be rapists and fuckboys. dont judge a place on only good reviews look at the cons more.

• NO!

Don't come here, too much strife here. Especially with Donald Trump, I'm jealous of Canada for having Justin Trudeau.

• If you don't like Canada, leave Canada. I'm also Canadian and I personally wouldn't. Why sacrifice free healthcare for a country about to be taken over by Trump or Hillary? Try moving to BC if you like the coast. In Vancouver it barely even snows in the winter. And if you're looking for diversity there's plenty of it there as well.

• Do it. All Americans had to migrate from somewhere.

• You should totally move to the US. Canada is literally worse in every single social and political aspect. It would be to your benefit.

• no we don't want u here

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 8

• If you're in it for the warmer weather and such, Cali is the place for you. I'm from here and I swear we hardly had winter or rain. However, I've never looked at the living costs in Canada, but it is quite pricey here.

• if you're okay with paying 250K in tuition fees, higher rates of gun violence, paying for every trip to the doctor, and the prospect of your president being a dictator who hates you because you're female, go for it.

i live on the east coast, but i have tons of relatives in the us; i've visited many times, but i'd never move there.

• Maybe wait until the outcome of the presidential election is known.

• NOPE. STay there.
    Dont come here.
    Trump might win...

On second thought, come on over! We can trade places once Trump wins :) You'll love it here, we have syrup and maybe sometimes Moose somewhere, and lots of hockey.

• I think you should. Pamela Anderson did.

• WHY? Canada is so beautiful! It has a great system and I think you'll just be dissapointed in America. Go there for summers, but don't live there.

• If Lilly Singh can, then you can.

• I know Canada is boring but don't come to America, I know we are awesome but we do not want you here