How do I reply back to this rejection letter for an RA position?

Hello Patricia,

I value the time you put into your application so I regret having to convey to you that after evaluation of applications, I moved to the next stage with other students.

There was strong competition for this position and it was important to make hard choices amongst all the high-achieving students. Again, I'd like to thank you for enabling me the chance to know what you can offer as a research assistant. If there are any other research projects that require additional hiring I will retain that information.

I'm not sure how to reply for it.

I'm confused whether or not I should reply since he was my former professor

What Guys Said 1

• I don't think you need to respond, they've hired someone else for that position, time for you to move on.
    If you wanted to, I suppose you could send a handwritten "Thank You" card and just say something like "While I was disappointed to learn that you've selected other applicants for the position, I understand that not every applicant could be accepted. If future positions open up, I would be very interested in working for the company, so please keep me in mind!
    Thank you for the opportunity, Patricia"

Most people will probably not respond, so by doing something slightly memorable your name will stand out next time a position opens up and you've got a better chance of getting it than everyone else (assuming your qualifications are equal)

• He taught me as a professor and I individually emailed him asking about the position, so he got back to me.

Normally I don't think they get back to students if they're not selected.

• Isn't that sorta like... as though I'm dying to get the position (which I'm not)

The research prep for this position was actually to read a 36 page article and summarize it along with resume etc.. So I'm a little hurt because I took time to do it, but I understand there may have been other candidates with stronger profiles/experience

• No, you don't need to beg for it, but just let him know you would still be interested in the position or another position similar to it if one should come available, and to keep your name in mind if a spot opens up. You may already have another job by then, but this way if his decision came down to you and another person who was slightly more qualified, and he picked the other person now, next time a spot opens up he might think to himself "Hey, Patricia did a great job and would be a perfect fit for the job, let me email her and see if she's interested...".

What Girls Said 1

• You don't reply.