Do I legally have to tell my ex I have given birth to our baby?

hi everyone
i will start in saying me and my ex broke up in the middle of my pregnancy and he has tried to be there but we cannot get on so i have cut all contact with him and told him that i will only talk to him about the baby after she is born and that he is not invited to any more appointments and as u would expect he got mad and we got into a big argument and now i am wondering if i even have to tell him i have given birth at all and will i get into legal trouble if i do not tell him anything more about the pregnancy and do not tell him she has been born

thank u for reading my long post and any help would be nice

Most Helpful Girl

• I know it's hard, but he deserves to know. If he decides he doesn't want a relationship with her, that's on him. At least you'll know you did what you could.

• he dose want to be her father but i am wondering how long i can wait to tell him cuz so far i have not even told him the baby is a girl yet and i am not planning to telling him anything until he takes me to court that is why i am asking will the court hold it against me not telling him

• If he's abusive, you might have a case against him, but if not, you're out of luck.

• he use to try to control who i could see or talk to and he would blackmail me and call me names all the time and threaten me too and when i found out i was pregnant i left him to protect my baby but he thinks he can control me using the baby

What Guys Said 2

• Legally, no. Ethically, yes.

• thank u for clearing that up for me so i can not tell him anything if i do not want to and i will not get in any trouble

• The only trouble you're likely to get into is with yourself. After all, you could always say that you were uncertain he was the father.

• i would say i am uncertain than let my ex anywhere near my baby

• So you're saying you want to take away his rights to his daughter?

• i am not taking any rights away as he dose not have any yet

• A daughter can change a man. Keep that in mind.

• not when he use to threaten and hit that daughters mother

What Girls Said 3

• I don't think so but I don't know

• You should tell him but I don't think you'll get in trouble if you don't.

• To be honest I'm not sure legally. But your child has the right to have him in her life unless he's a total loss as in herion junky a pediphile etc. I'm with my husband still for the time being for my daughter. It's hard being a mom but even harder being a good mom. Yea tell him, it's not going to be fun but your daughter will grow up and resent you if you've withheld her father from her just because you can't stand him. Like I said it's hard being a mom. I know how you feel