Can I go to jail for "dating" someone part of a gang?

We're not in an official relationship or anything, but we're really close and may end up dating soon. So, he is part of a local gang or whatever and he has gotten into a lot of trouble. He's been in and out of the juvenile detention center for assaulting a cop, drugs, and "attempted murder." and he was on house arrest, once but he just turned 18 and I think he's old enough to go to regular jail but he was on probation but he violated that probation because he brought a gun to school on the last day and someone told on him and now they're looking for him or whatever. I just feel like I can get in trouble for being associated with him.

• yes
  • no

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes you can if you are harboring him while he is supposedly on the Run. It will most likely be something they try to throw in your face may even hold you in the holding cells max 72 hours but after that if they can't charge you with anything you are free to go no restrictions or probation, or bail, free as a bird in the sky.
    Now, if you guys do get serious and lets say he starts making lots of money and you two buy a house, car, pay all your bills and such, and he gets arrested, they may be able to charge you with Living off the Avails, which is living off of criminal monetary gain. That charge can hold up to 7 years, they will threaten it very hard in order to get you to "Rat" on your man, but no worries there, a good lawyer could slap that charge up. But you will automatically lose if you are living together, and every single document that ties you to the house, car, bills etc is in your name, well, you will get charged and convicted I've seen it happen, more times than not the girl snitches on the man and then the girl gets house arrest probation etc. But some stay solid and get anywhere from 2-7 years max depending on the amount everything is worth, and how much you have spent.
    So consider this information very carefully ok?
    Also, worst possible scenario, let's say you guys are out for dinner, and some guy makes a pass at you or a bad remark at your man, and he assaults, or murders that person. Depending on where you live, like in the USA, you will be charged wth the same charges as him, because you were they with him at the scene when he committed the crime.
    So there are many factors you must consider when going out with a man in a gang or who is just a criminal.
    Now, I just want to inform you how I know this information...
    I have been in and out of jail from the age of 12 to 25, I am now 29, the last four years of my life have been the most legitimate and successful part of my life, but I have a long track record. Drug Possession, Illegal Weapon Possession, Firearms Possession, Firearm Discharge in a Public Space, and Attempted Murder got me Deported from the US when I was 16 after 2 years in Juvie. When I got to Canada I started doing the same thing I was doing down there. When I was 18 years old I got charged with Possession of a Controlled Substance Section 1 times 2, (Crack Cocaine); and Gun Possession. I was given 6 1/2 years, from 18 to 25 in jail, No Jokes... So believe me when I say just follow the right path no matter how hot or popular he is

Most Helpful Girl

• Uh, yeah, I grew up in gangland and I can tell you what's gna happen if you go this route.

Are you ready to DIE if you break up with yr beloved gangbanger boy?
    Yeah, I said die.
    Dead.
    No longer alive.

If you break up with a gangster, it's gna be pretty much assumed that yr a snitch. Just assumed.
    You know how gangs deal with snitches, right?

If yr gna be stupid and go that route anyway -- hey, I was yr age once, too -- DO NOT let yr "boyfriend" know where you live, EVER.
    You come to him, or you meet him in neutral places, period.
    Again, you need a viable exit plan, because it's a very real possibility that people will try to kill you if you break up.

Also -- Yr gangbanger boy will probably try to knock you up.
    Yep.
    Gna try to get you pregnant, pretty much right from day one.
    See, in most gangs, having babies is a status thing. It's also one of the only ways for gangsters to shirk the call of duty, and get their feet off the pavement, without losing face.
    In other words, "baby / baby mama needs me" will actually go farther than you think, in terms of being "down" or not having to pound the street quite as much, especially for a younger dude.
    (And don't be stupid and think yr the only one -- having babies by MORE women, is even MORE of a status thing.)
    ... yeah.

So, if that's what you want -- having to watch yr back, knowing that people will want to kill you if you break up, and being one of someone's many babymamas -- then...
    go for it!

Oh, and, in response to yr original question --
    If you have to ask questions like this, then, you probably don't have a super finely-tuned sense of the street life.
    That means those boys WILL take advantage of you. Including things like planting bundles of drugs on yr person, or in yr bag/purse, or in yr car (when you get a car). Can you go to jail for that? Yes you can, hon. Yes you can.

Don't be stupid.

What Guys Said 15

• In Belgium and France you could go to jail for dating a terrorist. It would be considered 'criminal ganging' and 'conspiring'. You might get the same time in jail.
    If your phone number is found in the phone of a suspect you're suspect too.
    I don't think the penalties ill be softer in the US. (unless you can pay a 1st class lawyer and your name is Hearst , of course.)

• There are "conspiracy crimes" in the US. Conspiracy is the hardest to defend against as the rules of evidence are reduced. So it's perfectly conceivable that you could get caught up in a crime that you didn't even know happened. Further there are laws against harboring someone who is wanted by the law. Harboring can include letting him spend the night, etc.

• You could be setting yourself up for "accomplice liability." This guy sounds like a really bad egg and I can't imagine why you'd want to get involved with someone who is a criminal.

• Dating no you can't go to jail for dating a criminal however if you are involved in his illegal activities you can be held for that.

• I think the more important question is, WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU DATING THIS MUPPET?

• You wouldn't get in trouble but why would you want to be with someone like that? it will only end up badly.

• He's just really cute and nice to me. Whenever someone bothers me, he always defends me and whenever I need something he tries to get it for me.

• My ex partner spent a just over year in jail for GBH, he got arrested for burglary and arson, they couldn't charge him because they couldn't prove it, but I know he did it. He was put on probation for possession... Sometimes I thought he was trying to set a record for how many times someone could get arrested.
      These days he has job, his own place... & he's like a completely different person.

• No but you can go to stupid jail..

• No, but you can go to jail if you participate in his criminal actions. Seriously you need to stop dating him.

• @Redeyemindtricks

I do believe you have something to say about this.

• Too bad, he sounds like a really swell guy, but you're an Accomplice honey. See you in "juvey"!

• No, And you are very lucky being dumb and having zero self-respect is not illegal.

• I have zero self-respect because I am interested in him? I didn't even know he was in a gang when we first started talking, but I'm not going to just toss him to the side because of it.

• Dating a gang banger isn't all that bad. People is just exaggerating like always.

• Depends on the law where you live; because laws are different from one country to another

;)

• No ghetto street cops won't typically press charges of being guilty by association unless it was determined that you were an accomplice or assisted in any way to the crime committed. Even then.. they will most likely to tell you just to walk away. That's not a good idea though. Kid could get you killed and raped. Gang bangers aren't cool.. they're half retarded and half no sense of value in life.. I see it everyday and can tell you that you are going to fuck up your life. Where are your parents and what is attracting you to this lifestyle? If you didn't catch what I said I'm a cop.

• I'm not attracted to that lifestyle, I'm just attracted to him. He's never asked me to the anything illegal for him. My mom doesn't really know him. He doesn't live in my neighborhood.

• I mean he will just drag you into shit that you don't want to be a part of. It will not end well. Either you will go to jail.. get killed.. or get raped. I know it sounds like games and movies to you but this stuff happens everyday. It's not a good idea.

• Or you could find your self respect and stay away from people like that, do you really want to be known as the girl dating a hood rat gangster wannabe

What Girls Said 12

• three words: guilt by association.

translation: whatever he does will reflect on you, and people/authorities will always assume that you are involved in his crimes.

question: why on earth would you want to date someone like that anyway? not only is he dangerous, but you can also be charged as an accomplice or accessory if you are aware of his illegal activities.

also. depending on where you live, the fact that he is 18 means that he can also be charged with statutory rape for having any sexual/romantic contact with you, since you are a minor in the eyes of the law.

there's only one way this "relationship" will end, and that's very, very badly.

• When I met him, I didn't know what he was doing. I had to find out through my schoolmates. Then I asked him about it, because people lie and he told me it was true and all.

For the statutory rape thing, can we get in trouble for just kissing? :o To be honest, we did have sex ONCE. But, that's it because he is always running off somewhere.

• @Urfavblackgurl 15.

• if you are only 15, you won't get in trouble with the law for kissing, though he definitely will.

depending on where you live, any touching that's not platonic will land him in hot water (even if you gave permission, because 1) the age of consent is 16 in most places and 2) because you are a minor and he's an adult).

i'd still suggest getting out of this "relationship" immediately. if he's tried to murder someone in the past and brings guns to school, what's to say he won't turn on you?

(the way i see it, dating this guy is like having a snake in your house~ it's only a matter of time before someone gets bitten.)

• You can't get in trouble for dating him, but when he does that stupid stuff with you in the car, in your car, or just around you, you can be arrested.

On another note... just why? Why?

• He's never done anything illegal around me. I'm more interested in how he treats me not what he does in his spare time or anything.

• I wish I could play you the story of my life from 16 to 21. Good luck

• You're going to get into trouble sooner or later if you hang out around that kind of people.

• He doesn't let me hang around his friends, just him.

• I can't tell if you're stupid or legitimately think that's an acceptable situation.

• In Canada at least you have freedom of association so you can be with whoever but you can get in trouble if you know about crimes they've done and you don't speak up and authorities find out

• Not really but if you happen to be caught in the same place as they are while they are carrying out a a bad deed then you can become and accessory to a crime.

• You can't go to jail and you can't go to jail for associating with him. But you are getting yourself into a lot of mess by dating someone in a gang because if he's not playing his role in his group and missed a schedule due date then the people are coming after you. On top of that, being in a gang the man already have people who are after him because of that specific group he's in so they'll definitely go after someone he cares about the most. Be careful because the streets aren't so pleasant.

• I'm not worried because, I don't think anyone knows that we are "talking." The only people who knows are the people that he hangs around and my best friend.

• Ohh okay then. Depending on the type of guy he is regarding making his inner relationship public which eventually everyone will know. Unless he sets you as a sideline because i know for sure a guy that is really into a girl and their talking for some reason he wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut. Happened to me and this time i didn't want anyone to know and i think the guy sensed it so he told all his friends eventually it got around and he made sure I was seen with him. Just be careful.

• Not for dating him but more likely than not you will end up an accessory to something at some point..

• If he commits a hanious crime and your with him or he uses your car yea you can get in some deep shit. He sounds like a turd any way being in and out of trouble all the time. It's best to leave him alone before something does happen.

• I don't give a damn about how nice this guy may treat you or how good looking you think he is. You should not be stupid enough to date his sort. You shouldn't be talking to him at all to begin with. Why are kids these days so damn stupid? -.-

• It's not like I purposely started talking to him or anything. I met him when I was walking home from school, he was with a group of people and they called me over. I understand what he does is stupid, but then again I don't like to judge people for doing what they have to do to make ends meet.

• I think you should reconsider who you're dating - dating a gang-member is the biggest mistake of your life...

• So many things wrong with this question.

• no because he might get into trouble and you might end there (depending on your age )