Have you ever been in an Earthquake?

• Yes.
  • No.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I have but thankfully it was not a huge one, we have earthquakes here in California all the time, as a matter of fact it's something we known for

• The biggest I have been is was a 5.5.

• Thank you for the HMO :)

• Yeah, that is good your country helped. Also your welcome.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, several times, I live on the fifth floor, so I can feel every earthquake.

• Does Croatia get many?

• Thanks for the MHO

• Your welcome.

What Girls Said 29

• I haven't, but I'm guessing you likely have given that you live in NZ. I have a friend who was living in Christchurch when they had that really bad quake a couple of years ago.

• Yeah, it was in 2011. I have been in a quake in Christchurch but it was not that big one. It was a 5.5.

• Auckland is on a different plate to Christchurch that is why.

• Auckland I think is on the Australian plate and Christchurch and Wellington are on the Pacific plate and the Pacific plate has earthquakes, the Australian plate does not really get them.

• Yes, but it was not a huge one. Very miniscule. It was more like the aftershock actually. The room I was in was shaking tremendously and I had no idea what was making it do that.

• Yes, many when I lived in California 😖

• Yes, California gets them.

• Yeah, I've been in a couple small ones.

• The one I was in was the small one that originated in Virginia several years ago. It was very light here, but you could certainly feel the ground shake and it was enough to get my attention.

• The biggest I was in was a 5.5.

• That's a solid one. I think the Virginia one was about a 5, but we were up in Connecticut so it was much less - I'd say about a 2 or 2.5. Still amazing to think we felt it hundreds of miles away though!

• Yes, the one I was in we heard it coming before the house started to shake.

• I don't think I have :/ although we do have small ons from times to times in Tunisia

• Many times

• I was on holiday in Christchurch when they had thier first big one, that started it all. It's made me scared of them ever since, but I don't panic when Wellington has the little jolts. Everyone runs for cover I just sit there... everybody yells at me to move... I'm like narh, this is nothing.

• Yeah, I was not in one of Christchurch's big ones but I was in one of the 5.5 aftershocks.

• Nah, I'm an Aussie. Earthquakes are few and far between here. Thank god, because we certainly do not build for, or expect, them.

• Yes couple of times. Here in Georgia it happens almost once or twice in 2 years. But they are not that disastrous. Biggest that i remember was magnitude 7. It happened in my childhood in Armenia and we felt it in Tbilisi, Georgia.

• I live in So. California, does that answer your question lol?

• A minor one. It shook the bed I was sitting on.

• yeah NYC had a tiny earthquake 4 years ago? I don't remember when, my building shook. it was so scary!!!

• Nope

• I have and they leave you thinking "shit, I hope this does not get too bad."

• Yes, once.

• Many small ones while living in Jamaica. We are actually overdue for a 'big one'. The biggest I have ever felt was a magnitude 5 so far.

• A mini one. So small that I didn't even recognize it for what it was

• Yeah a lot of tiny ones and 2 major ones.

• Can you remember the mags of them?

• Yeah that's why I said that. Houses in poor cities are always really weak but again, I haven't seen any numbers. Nothing around me in either country got destroyed, so I can't really tell you haha

• Yes, I know that is why you said that and yeah haha.

• Yes, it was pretty shocking considering where I live lol

• Yes I have.

• not that I know of

• I have been in about a 5.5 quake.

• is it scary

• It makes you think shit how bad is this going to get and yes it is a reasonably scary experience. Anyone that says it is not is telling lies I feel. We heard the rumble of it coming and then the house started shaking.

• I live in California so...

• yeah, it wasn't a major one tho. I think it was 6.2 or something

• I think, a mini one that I never even felt.

• A few small ones, but yes.

• The biggest I was in was a 5.5.

• I don't know recall the magnitude of any of the earthquakes I was in. The fault lines here are quite small. The most that happened was that I woke up.

• I think I've been in a little one before, it was scary 😫

• I live on the pacific rim lol

• No, but I saw mini twisters forming several times.

What Guys Said 41

• Some things on my wall were shaking a bit. The upstairs neighbors, tending to be rude, inconsiderate people, made that happen several times a week by just running around and acting like asses, so I took a basketball I had and bounced it aggressively against the ceiling a few times (like the old woman banging on her ceiling with a broom in old sitcoms), to let them know I was annoyed and they needed to stop.

News report later said that at that time of day, an earthquake had actually happened. It was something like BARELY a 2 pointer. I live in an area that has very little tectonic activity, so I was quite amused by that, actually. Then I felt guilty about the basketball.

• Yea, several including the Loma Prieta quake in 1989. I was a good distance from that one, but it was still very strong. My car was bouncing around and I was having a hard time standing up.

I've also been in two earthquakes in Ohio, strong enough that you could visibly see things shaking.

Earthquakes are freaky.

• Yes, Earthquakes are freaky. I was in a 5.5.

• 5.5 is pretty big, especially if it's close, or on terrain that shakes a lot.

The earth is supposed to be solid. When it moves it's a big psychological blow. Not even the earth you stand on is reliable. Once it starts you never know how bad it's going to be. That's what was so bad about Loma Prieta, it lasted forever.

• Yes, that is very true and that was my thought. Gosh! I wonder how big or bad this is going to get. That was what I was thinking.

• Loma Prieta in San Francisco, 1989. A few others, less impressive.

• Last time my girlfriend and I were between the sheets! :)

• yes two years ago i was in napa and i was taking a shit and i stood up and i thought i was going to faint due to low blood sugar but then i noticed a chandelier swinging and though of fuck that was an earthquake.

• YES, I SURVIVED THIS.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Kashmir_earthquake

The geological centre was in Pakistan but India was effected too.

• 7.6 and only 15km deep. That must have felt big. O my gosh.

• Yes, I was eating my breakfast and the whole house was shaking like a pendulum.

• the strongest one I remember was funny, I woke up at night to pee and everything was shaking so I thought I'm sleepy and after I struggled to take a hold on the bathroom door handle I just gave up and peed by the door and went back to sleep, then next day I woke up surprised of my family's scared faces and my mom's angry face then after little chatting and fighting I figured out the story and heard the other part were my mom was screaming nooo wait to prevent me from doing what I did :)))))))))

• I grew up in Quake Land. I remember the Great Quake of 1989, which even interrupted one game of the World Series (baseball).

• There was an earthquake of 5.2' near my city recently, i was asleep i didn't feel a thing. When i woke up, the first thing i saw when i opened FB was: "Richter scale for us is the lamp" means if it fall then it is dangerous to stay inside, if it doesn't then you can continue on whatever you were doing.

• Yes, I was in one. I was 4 years old and I don't remember anything about it cuz I slept through the whole thing lol. I kinda want to be in another one just to see what happens.

• Yes in Turkey, near Efes but only my wife lived it: I didn't even wake up. :-(

• Multible times, yes. Some terrible, others not so much.

• No and I hope I never am in one. I can imagine what that would be like. Well, there have actually be very small ones where I live, but nothing that caused any damage or anything.

• Nope just have to deal with tornados where I live lol

• yes i have been in 17 agust 1999 izmit earthquake which killed around 17,000 people.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_%C4%B0zmit_earthquake

• Yeah. When I was in India I felt an earthquake in the middle of the night when I was sleeping and that woke me up. I went back to sleep.

• I couldn't freakin believe there was a small one near where I live in the southwest united states. Everyone that lives here was shocked. Then there was an aftershock about a half hour later.

• was the most interesting thing. I was on a patrol post and as I was doing my log book entry I was in the aftershock of one. I walked outside and everyone around me looked dazed.

• I live in Istanbul. I remember an Earthquake from my childhood. it was 7.6 and horrible. We spent a few days on street because we scared to go inside house.

• That is big.

• It didn't do much to me i didn't lose anything no property no family member, but rural areas had a lot harm. Thousands of people died and now our government takes stepts to not have such tragedy once again.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YudY7b_gf6U The center of earthquake from my childhood was in Izmit, next to Istanbul, but it still done a lot harm to Istanbul.

• I just experienced the first one ever few months back! It was super small.

• Not a big one but a couple small ones yeah.

• Yes One small one. It felt like a car rammed into the side of my room.

• no, and I hope that it stays like that :P

• Yea if by that you mean if I've been to bonertown

• Yeah, biggest one was almost 5 years ago and it was a 5.8

• yes i have been.

• A few small ones while traveling in California.

• Yep yep.

• Yeah, my ex was a real handful.

• No thank god

• More from Guys
    11