Should I smoke weed because it's cool?

Every person around me is into weed. I feel like I will not fit in or will be considered as someone conservative if I won't smoke weed. Even my crush smokes weed, and I feel like stoners only like to be with people like them. I am not into all this stuff. In fact, I have always believed in living a clean life but I just feel like all these other girls who are into smoking stuff is considered much cooler than me. I am confused about this issue.

Most Helpful Guy

• What's even cooler is smoking laced weed that causes you to have a heart attack and die.

• Haha. I am sure many people might like to try it someday. I don't like smoking anything like that, but I am afraid to be called "conservative" or maybe, my crush might not like me enough.

• Good to know you value more of what others think of you rather than what you want yourself to be.

• I know that's wrong. :( I feel stupid for even thinking so. But there's always this pressure to "fit in". Some people are good at coping with this pressure.

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't do it just to seem cool. I smoke, but I never started doing it just to be cool. I enjoy the feeling. My best friend doesn't smoke and I don't care. It's just not his thing and that's cool. The reason I rarely hang around people who aren't "stoners" is because of people, like yourself, who feel like they need to do it just because they want to be cool. I feel like they are judgmental of me. There's a girl in my group of friends who, while she says she's not judgmental, is definitely judging us all for smoking. She makes comments and then gets upset (tries not to show it though) when we hang out to smoke and she's not invited. We make plans for other things, but don't get mad if we want to smoke, but don't want to make you uncomfortable. Most of my friend group consists of stoners. I have no problem if you don't smoke, but don't think differently of me just cause I do.

Half of the time non-stoners get upset because they feel like their friends are changing because they smoke or they feel like in order to fit in, they have to smoke. The truth is, it's mostly in your head. Some people are like that, but most aren't. We don't care if you aren't into it. Like I said, my best friend doesn't smoke. He doesn't judge me for doing it though. He has a lot of stoner friends as well. He'll even go with me while I take a few hits sometimes.

There are a lot of dumb things that people do, but I don't really thinking weed is one of them. Yes, some people are definitely dumbasses when it comes to weed, but not all of us are like that. I'm not ruining my life just because I smoke. I'm a smart girl. I'm certainly smart enough to know that doing weed to be cool isn't a good idea and that I don't need to smoke just to help me get a guy.

• To be honest, I don't judge. But what I judge is when someone hides their habits from me. As a concerned friend, I might tell you once that you can try controlling cigarette smoking (I am just giving you an example, not directed at you) but when it comes to smoking, I am like, "You do it? Okay cool." But the thing is, I never felt pressured to do it before, but I have started feeling like stoners like other stoners because they get something to bond over. They consider those girls who smoke "cool" whereas I might be labelled as "bland". I try to have an open mind regarding everything, but it doesn't mean I'd like to try each and everything. But I am just scared to be judged for my habits, or lack of.

• I don't have this perspective that all stoners do is "smoke" weed, but the unfortunate part of meeting some stoners that I have experiences is that all they really do is smoke weed. Even if they have some other stuff to do, they still let themselves be defined by their weed habits. Ask them "what's up" at any time of the day and they always reply, "just hit a bong" I know that there are some really productive stoners though.

• Lol those friends of mine who don't talk openly about their habits in person are the very same people who post stauses like, "I am high AF" or their high selfies with some Bob Marley quotes pasted over the caption. And then if I even try to be chill about this issue, they try to portray a holier-than-thou image of themselves, as if they can't do anything wrong.

What Guys Said 11

• It wastes your time. Is it as harmful as other drugs? Hardly.

But the older I get, the more I realize how precious time is. I need 36 hour days just to do all I want to do, and getting stoned is just a way to waste a few hours of precious time.

• Dont do it to be cool do it becuase you enjoy the trip, the uncoolest thing to do is pretending you like it while you feel forced to do it

• You shouldn't Smoke it
    cause it will burn your brain cells, make you forget faster, and reduce your reflection after a while
    and also people say its medical, its like a painkiller
    if you think when people say it can cure cancer well i hope his parants get so he can cure them with weed, and feed them with so much weed until they actualy die from weed

• Well, I never get this reasoning. They say it cures cancer, but the biggest supporter of weed, Bob Marley, died of cancer.

• so ironic i know right
      i smoked a lot of times when i was 16 just dont
      1. you waste money
      2. no need to smoke you dont win anything, you only lose

• I see. Yes, it's a waste of money though. Considering, I am almost broke. :P

• No you should smoke it because you want to try it not because of peer pressure.

• I don't want to try it, but I feel like my crush, who is a stoner, might want to be with a girl who smokes.

• Yeah, i get how you might want to be with him, because if not you then another girl right?

• Well, of course he can find other girls, lots of girls, who smoke weed. I feel like he might consider it a preference to like someone. Even though when I stated that I'd like to smoke weed, he just asked me to stay away from all these things.

• yes because fitting in is more important than your health.

• As much as I know, weed is not as harmful as alcohol or cigarettes and not even a single person has died due to weed.

• doing drugs to get a guy, are you sure about this? it seems like you dont have your priorities straight.

• I don't think I have my priorities straight. My rational mind knows that if a guy prioritizes this habit over every good quality that you have, then he's not the right guy, but these days, it seems like almost every guy needs a girl who is bold, open-minded about everything, have big boobs and butts, and I just feel so out of place.

• It's not cool... some people like it for stress related reasons. But personally I find it dumb and useless.

• For stress related issues, there are many other things they can do. For example, meditation. But I think they just need a quick way.

• I mean of course if it helps for meditation and all, by all means it's good and up to them, for me I'm not fond of weed at all.

• Dont do it because its cool. Try it because it gives you a brand new perspective on the world around you.

• Unfortunately, I have met a lot of stoners and they don't have that great perspective about the world. So I never get this reasoning. In fact, I have met other types of people, some people who recovered from depression or who are into meditation, and they present such great perspective and knowledge regarding the world.

• He is weird. He asks me to stay away from all these things, so I doubt he is ever going to give me a bong.

• Hmm. Well you definitely dont have to smoke, but if you do, keep that frame in mind. It can be a really beautiful thing.

• No, you should smoke it because it feels good. lol

• But I believe that there are other way to relax and feel good as well.

• Well, alright. If I want to experience it someday, I might do it. But I don't want to become a stoner like other guys and girls or want to "show off" the fact that I smoke weed, which many people around me, do.

• I think you've got the right attitude about it.

• Honestly it shouldn't even matter. If they can't accept you because you don't want to smoke weed they're not your real friends.

• Go to your room

• I wish you had something constructive to share.

• *rolls eyes* No, you should not do stuff just to get other people who are only doing things to be cool will think you're cool

• *to think you are cool

• No. You should smoke weed because you feel like it

• I am not feeling like it. :-/

What Girls Said 14

• My friends were all stoners, but not once did they make me feel as if I had to smoke like them. The girls who think they're cooler are idiots. Smoking pot doesn't make you cool, just like smoking cigarettes or getting blackout drunk don't make you cool. I have nothing against smoking weed, in fact I've done it myself. But it doesn't make you cool simply for smoking it. Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with, and if any of them criticize you for it, then they're morons who have probably smoked a little too much.

• I see, but some stoners here consider it extremely cool if a girl smokes, and even have a preference of dating stoner girls over what they call "normal" girls.

• Then they're just a bunch of losers. That's seriously not a major ideal you should have in someone.

• I have had a boyfriend that smoked weed and nearly everyone smokes weed here. However, I've never done it. I know how to roll a joint, but I don't seek the help of drugs to forget about shitty things or relax etc. They can be chill people and unless they're annoying they won't force you. Don't give in to peer pressure if you don't want to, simple as that. They've offered me many times and I've never agreed to it. Weed stinks and just makes you a little stupid in my opinion😂 However, if anyone wants to smoke it it's not my problem.

I do hold a double standard to smoking weed tho, because I don't like it when girls smoke weed at all while I don't care as mich with guys.

• So you mean your boyfriend never kept it a criteria for dating someone? Do you think he would have liked dating someone who was into smoking weed?

• Nah, never. He wanted me to smoke it but never pushed me. We could have fun sober or when he was smoking and I would be the sober friend laughing at the weird shit they'd do😂. He's dating someone that smokes pot now, and I don't think it really matters to him even though she's a better fit. We're still really good friends. But every person is diferent, so.

• Don't do it to "fit in" be you and screw what people think. I smoke and I'm for weed, but I don't judge those who are not. If people are judging you because you don't smoke - get some new friends. If you're against it, thats your choice. Don't do it just to be "cool"

• Would you be with a guy if he's okay with you smoking weed but he doesn't smoke? Won't you like someone who is into it?

• That has given me a new perspective regarding this issue. You are right. I think understanding is the most important thing in any issue.

• You gotta do you! No matter what. Yes, this guy could be the love of your life and you might make it forever with him. But there's a chance that this guy is just a crush and a man who will only temporally be in your life. You never know what could happen. Don't settle for anything less then you deserve. If this guy won't respect your opinions, then he's not the one. You won't later in life want to look back and realize you changed your beliefs and morals for a guy who doesn't matter. Stay true to you, no matter what others thing (:

• No, you should not smoke weed becasue that's what all the cool kids are doing. Be honest with your crush and tell him you aren't into stuff like that. If he thinks less of you then at least you dodged a bullet there, but if he respects your decision then its all the ore better :) Don't feel like you need to change for other peoples approval.

• ya!!! let's get lung cancer and die. Sounds like a blast. No don't do it. Are you crazy?

• I am not a supporter of weed, but it doesn't causes cancer. Though I know that it can lead to bigger drugs and then you can get fucked.

• it is smoke that you are inhaling which yes will damage your lungs. Any kind of smoking will do that

• You shouldn't do anything just because it's cool.

• But then I am afraid to be labelled as "backward"

• Being concerned about someone you love is not backward

• Sorry wrong question. Don't worry about what people think

• No weed is dangerous and it's bad for your health unless you get a doctor prescription for marijuana then you shouldn't take those drugs.

• I have always been away from it, but it's like, doing drugs seems to have become a new definition of "being cool" or "open-minded"

• Well it's not cool all those people who say it is are going to end up homeless and drug addicts. You could try it, but you shouldn't feel pressured too because it's considered "being cool"

• Stand out of them. Don't do it just because it's considered cool, do it only if you enjoy it.

• I see all these people doing weed, and putting up statuses about "being high" and I just consider it stupid. If you smoke, cool, but what's the point of telling everyone?

• It's your choice. Just if you don't really want it don't do it for others.

• Absolutely not, never feel the need to do anything just because it seems "cool"

• no don't do it because they are you need to decide for yourself

• No... if you are smoking weed to fit in then that's ridiculous..

• But as much as I know, stoner guys like stoner chicks, and I feel like if I'd get into it, my crush might like me?

• You really shouldn't be changing yourself for anyone else..

• I wouldn't do it if you just want to "fit in" honestly its not worth even trying

• But I feel like somehow, I will be considered backward or conservative.

• It's not worth bothering what other people think

• That's really idiotic. If they started jumping in front of traffic would you do it too because it's "cool"?

• Nope

• Well, I don't want to.