The more attractive you are, the higher your standards are. Agree or disagree?

• Agree
  • Disagree
  • Other (please specify)

Most Helpful Guy

• On average, yes, that's true. But there are plenty of individual exceptions where someone chooses a partner who may APPEAR to be below their "level" but that person gives them something that THEY find important - even if outsiders looking in don't understand what that is.

The exceptions don't invalidate the rule, though.

It's always true that individual people will assign "attractiveness value" to another person differently than someone else will - but it's also true that the majority of us can easily grasp the concept of an "average" value that society as a whole would put on someone.

Someone who has higher "value" has more options in the "marketplace" - and can (and usually will) have higher standards and still achieve them. Someone who has lower value will have fewer options, and if they try to hold the same standards, they're likely to be unsuccessful at finding a partner - so they'll either be alone or they'll have to lower their standards until they are more-or-less at the same level as their own value.

This really can't be a new concept to anyone...

• People like to pretend it's not true.

A lot of people are also not very good at handling things that are mainly true. In their mind they are either 100% true, or not true at all.

• @0112358 The ability to handle subtlety and nuance is one of the things that defines intelligence. People who can only accept one extreme or the other usually aren't as bright.

• I just got a headache from the most helpful dude on earth

What Guys Said 34

• Though it sounds logical, I can't even tell you how many times I've seen ugly and shitty people demand the best of the best.

• it's not necessarily true. your personal attractiveness doesn't really factor into your level of standards

• I'm pretty attractive but I date average girls because I have higher standards when it comes to personality, 8 and above and they're demanding whilst bringing nothing to the relationship besides their looks and a bit of girly cuteness, that doesn't cut it in the long run.

• Not necessarily. I think most people want to have high standards its just that the more attractive people are more successful at actually getting the people who meet those standards. Most other people have to settle.

• For hookups, ONS, friends with benefits etc research proves looks are important, hence more attractive they are higher the standard. This can be proven with Tinder test.

LTR yes standards appearance wise still matter, its appearance that draws us first. But personality comes into play as well, so it might not be that rigid. Appearnce wise guys still put more emphacize. Things like money, status, power, influence can also have effect on women's perception. Of course we also desire many personality traits in long term partners, which means there will be give and take with personality and looks.

We all have different standards. But overall yes more attractive you are higher your standards.

• Nah I've seen people of both sexes date up, down and in the middle. Hell I've dated down and up also

• Being attractive means you can AFFORD to have high standards, but it doesn't necessarily mean you WILL have high standards.

• Honestly I don't know about other people, but me I find myself very handsome, and in my experience, it's been the women that has lost interest in me. I am not extremely picky all I ask for is just a good woman to talk too, but where I am from, it is hard to find that. Just keeping it real.

• I feels mixed on that one. I think it might hold true more for women than men.
    I usually see the most manly men not giving much of a fuck how women look... I dunno why that is..
    And i dont mean just good looking but douchey guys.. I mean the top dogs.. The once with looks personality status everything. The ones who dont showoff or have to prove anything but everyone acknowledges and respects them

• Yes, everyone will date up given the chance

• I don't see myself as attractive but i have pretty high standards. Mainly because I've had very attractive girls (who a lot of guys liked) like me in the past

• No
    Wait does that mean I'm ugly? Ah fuck me.. Well not really.. I mean yes.. But you know not you.. Well only if you insist.. ok no

• agree, and also to add, the more dating experience you have, the higher you're standard on status and beauty.

• I voted "c" because bringing the thought of "do you see yourself as attractive" and / or "do other people see you as attractive?" comes into play.

• Kinda. When you're more desired it's easier to filter out the kind of people you want to fuck / date.

• I've lost count to how many good looking guys I've seen dating girls who aren't considered attractive by the society. Many good looking girls are also dating guys that are considered attractive but those guys usually happen to be rich. Lol

• It's natural to want someone "good enough for you", and not just your type. I don't feel that way, though.

• Disagree. You can afford to have higher standards but it doesn't mean you will definitely have higher standards.

• Most of the time I would say yes but there are times it isn't true

• Most definitely. Attractive people can afford to be picky.

• Your standards must be really high then

• nope. i disagree

• Standards for what sweetheart?

• I meant the more attractive you are, the more attractive the person you date has to be.

• Funny when I am out and about i see some pretty attractive women with guys that are ugly... And visa versa...

• Thats what some other people were saying too lol

• It isn't true at all

• Agreed!

• It actually depends on them. :P.

• Honestly, it annoys me so much when I meet, for lack of a better word, ugly people who are stuck up. Girls with their nose up, or guys talking about a girl being fat, it's like, really, you don't even look good, so how are you going to complain. Crazy.

• no i see in my college hot girls get with normal guys..

• Agreed. I've gotten uglier over time and now I am only considered attractive by those I find unattractive.

• Disagree. It tends to be based on how often you can get whatever you're look for. If that's a relationship and you're newly single you'll be less picky then someone who has been single for years. Same with those after one night stands.

that isn't always based on looks. I'm not the best looking guy in the world but can normally approach women confidently, talk to them as equals and get a phone number to arrange a date. this lets me be more picky the a good lucking guy who is less confident.

• More from Guys
    4

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 22

• I disagree!

• Well it mainly depends on the person. I've been told I am beautiful (especially for being only my age, which I don't know what THAT means) but I have basically like 0 standards

Just don't be a douchebag and don't cheat on me.

• I foresee your standards rising.

• I believe that. It's just as you hit adulthood, you'll be swamped with -options-. And then you'll start filtering out on things beyond kindness and loyalty.

• @0112358 Well already I am *swamped* with options, and I've always been like this for many different things. I've never been a picky person.

• disagree
    the more confident you are, the higher your standards are

• I disagree. I think it depends on how much you value yourself and also if you know that you are attractive. But if those two things are there then of course I would be inclined to agree with you.

• For the most part yes

• Nah, I have pretty high standards lol and I KNOW they're ridiculous for me to have.

• It's more like how attractive a person perceives themself effects their standards.

For example a attractive woman who believes she is unattractive would most likely have low standards due to low self esteem.

• I agree
    although some unattractive people have high standards too :P

• Nah, I've seen ugly people want 10/10s

• thats the general trend, yea. not a rigid trend though, because e people can "make up" for looks with career, fame, money, status, family name, charisma, talent, unique personality, good chemistry, etc.

• Nope.

The more attractive you are, the higher you *think* your standards are.

There. Fixed.

• I disagree because I see some ugly ass men on gag and in real life who have high standards

• Vote A.

• Agreed for most people

• Agree.

• For some people, yes but definitely all attractive people are like that

• Lmao no. I'm average at best and my standards are hella high.

• I think it's more about your self-esteem.

• I was thinking about asking a question like this. I've noticed I don't find that many people attractive, which I find strange. Like I can tell they are but I'm not attracted to them - the only ones I find attractive are "objective" 8+, sometimes 7+.

Not always but usually. As to how attractive I am I've been told it's up there in the 8+ range, thank God. So I guess it holds for me. It's not me trying to be snobby - I literally just don't find that many people attractive (to me).

My question based on that was whether fairly plain-looking or not very attractive people tend to have a wider range they consider attractive.

• agree. if i'm pretty and skinny I wouldn't date a fatass or a ugly guy

• I think that's a myth you see on tv. I doubt that's true in real life

• Agreed in general. However, there are certain exceptions to the rule, eg. If an attractive person underrates their own looks, or if a less attractive person is delusional.