How do you learn to street fight?

I wanna learn to street fight but I heard something about it not being teachable.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well...
    The first question is what, and the second question is why.

1) WHAT do you have in mind?
    Actual street fighting is mostly *not* actual fighting. It's mostly situational awareness -- where "situational" includes the psychological environment in addition to the physical environment -- with an eye to positioning yourself, literally or through on-the-fly diplomacy, so that you don't even have to fight in the first place.
    When there IS actual fighting, it's quick, ugly, and deadly. It's not evenly matched; there are no rules; the winner is mostly the person who (a) finds the power position, (b) strikes first, and/or (c) knows how and where to strike for maximum damage and/or incapacitation.

If you've heard that this kind of stuff "isn't teachable", what people mean by that is probably that the instinct is something that's mostly developed on the playground as a kid -- when these fights aren't fucking *deadly* yet.
    My husband is a former delinquent kid from the street, and he grew up scrapping day in, day out -- but, that's the point, he GREW UP scrapping. No matter how dirty they might fight, nine-year-olds aren't going to actually kill each other.

If you don't have those *reflexes* to fight dirty and go for the kill when necessary... I'm not sure how you could really "develop" them as an adult. If someone says that street fighting isn't teachable, that's probably what they mean.

2) WHY?
    Why?
    Self-explanatory question.

__

In any case...
    The closest yr going to get is probably the Israeli fighting art of Krav Maga, which was developed around the actual hand-to-hand street combat faced by the Israeli armed forces (who are some tough motherfuckers, lemme tell you).
    If you were to train in Krav Maga up to the higher levels (G2 or higher, I think -- I might be getting the names/numbers mixed up), then you'd be legitimately capable of street fighting with the best and deadliest. I think that's the level where you start genuinely simulating the kinds of moves that would actually be lethal on the street (with protective gear, so that trainees aren't constantly killing each other).
    But...
    ... yeah, that isn't something that's gna happen overnight. I think that's a level that takes about 5-7 years of training, on average, to reach.

• I feel like @tdieseler might have something to add here.

• I am curious though. Has your husband killed anyone?

• He has not, unless there is some shit from wayyyy back in his foster days that I don't know about. That's very very unlikely.

He was literally out on his own by his 15th birthday, so, he was smart enough to have switched his primary game from offense to diplomacy/self-preservation/survival long before that.

One of the things I found MOST attractive about him, in fact, was that he would immediately *shut down* potential conflicts (the very few times anyone tried to move on me, when we first started seeing each other), rather than escalating them.
      I've seen him immobilize a couple of guys with truly frightening speed, and then just give them that "when I let you go, you have 5 seconds to get the fuck out of here" stare. And they definitely got the fuck out of there.

A boy who can end conflict, before it even starts, is the sexiest thing in the world to me.

What Girls Said 1

• It will lead to many injuries and even death. However, the best way is probably through experience in fighting.
    I would still recommend taking boxing or some martial art stuff before running in the wild fighting people.

What Guys Said 16

• How do you learn to street fight... the simplest answer i can give is "by getting beat up like everybody else.". its not inherited.
    street fighting is not something where you see someone take a swing and everyone yells "k. o." . street fighting is more defense than offense.
    I can also tell you this, most people who know how to fight, usually tend not to, its always the loud mouths who brag too much that usually get dropped, so before you wander into that world, make up your mind who you are, the loud mouth, or the fighter.

• yah, that's what I was getting at in the first paragraph of my comment—"positioning yourself... so that you don't even have to fight in the first place".

I mean, that's even how that shit works in the animal kingdom. How often does the big alpha male animal with the big-ass antlers actually battle another animal? (not often)

Also, despite what cable TV would have you think, state prisons are generally pretty peaceful places from day-to-day, too, for the same reasons. There's a hierarchy, and for the most part it's respected, and most of that shit is worked out through what you might call "diplomacy".

• upload.wikimedia.org/.../Street_Fighter_Logo.png

You pick up a controller, and you learn to do quarter circle forward motions.

• You learn to 'street fight' by learning how to fight, period. Doesn't matter if it's in a boxing ring, octagon or the streets. You learn correct technique and then further refine that technique through thousands of repetitions. But that's only half of the equation, the other half is learning how to apply said techniques against a resisting opponent. This is where sparring comes into it.

You see, knowing the correct and most efficient way to throw a left hook is one thing. But being able to land that left hook on a resisting opponent is a completely different thing. After you put in enough hours of sparring, your fighting skills will have improved. That's all there is to it, because sparring is fighting. The only difference is that you don't go all out like you might do in a real fight.

• You learn to fight by fighting. There is no other way. Taking classes will only help you with techniques and being fit to fight but in no way does that actuallu teach you to fight. If you're only trained to box what are you going to do against someone who only throws kicks?

My answer to you is the only right answer.
    You learn to street fight by getting into actual street fights. You'll begin to learn how to block punches, react to aggression, manage the adrenaline, staying calm, etc list goes on and you don't learn this shit by going to a dojo.

• "You learn to street fight by getting into actual street fights."

Follow this advice for long enough and you'll end up paralyzed or dead.

• @redeyemindtricks hey I'm glad you didn't respond to my negativity I was already hyped from another convo. Sorry for calling you ignorant.

• No worries.

Yr boxing analogy actually makes the point here -- because you *do* have to throw thousands and thousands of punches at bags (and train footwork, etc) before you can legitimately get in the ring and spar. If you try to... just spar, you'll get blown outta there in a hurry.

My point is that there's really no street-fighting equivalent of those *first* few thousand punches at the bag, as groundwork -- unless you grew up scrappin' (or unless you live somewhere where street fights aren't potentially deadly). That's what I'm getting at with the Krav thing -- it's the best equivalent I can think of for that groundwork.

• Fighting is like 15% technique and 85% mentality and experience... you want to learn how to fight... go get into fights, be ruthless, be mean, dont let them win no matter what.

• I would suggest finding a good martial arts class and learning that. A good instructor will teach you ways to fight on the street.
    I have never heard of a street fighting class.

• experience is usually the best way... however i wouldn't recommend going around picking fights... most dudes in the street grapple and knuckle up... so some basic boxing and folk style wrestling is probably up your alley... just mix and blend the two

• Don't fight in the street. If you feel the need to fight, join a boxing or MMA gym.

• You're in the States?

Just buy a gun.

• You learn by doing. You can improve your chances greatly by learning real effective combat moves, Though.

• I can't fight for my life. Let alone street fight

• Lol pocket sand

• Street fighting is basically MMA.

• have u ever heard about "Ottoman Slap"?

• Actual combat involves actual available tools.

Get a gun and learn to use it properly. Don't get me wrong, I do and enjoy martial arts, but true life or death combat in our world is a gunfight.

Which you should, you know, avoid.