Would you rather know when you're going to die *OR* how you're going to die?

choose one.

• I want to know when i'll die.
  • I want to know what will kill me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Even though this is a great question, I'm surprised at how many people chose "how" - it's great if you get a two-in-one like "of old age", but anything besides that would be terrible :( What if it was @lefrogdog 's fave - a car accident - or worse, murder? I think mine would be heart attack, because I would jump out of my skin or go into attack more every time someone came near me or some asshat cuts me off in traffic.

I hate deadlines, but I need deadlines in my life. I have a son who needs his mother to do right by him every day. I want to take him to Disneyland one day before he gets older/I die/whatevs. Time is important on so many levels. It's non-refundable and its ireeplacable.

If I'm as cynical on D-Day as I am now, I'll carry a gun with me in the hopes that I can stop a particularly nasty death. Also, my dad once told me that hardship is more bearable when you know it's going to end. It would be a relief to know how much longer I have to live.

Time. When. For sure.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 25

• When.
    Make sure I leave a will and get my affairs in order.

Wouldn't try to change it. I believe that everything happens for a reason.

• I'd rather the when than the what. I'll be paranoid asf if I know what could be used to kill me, but I have no idea when it will be used. It could be a gun that kills me, but all I know is that and I don't know what gun it is or when it'll be used. There are guns all around the world. It could be any one of them. I'd be too paranoid to live my life. If I at least knew when I would die it would keep me determined to live my life to the fullest so I wouldn't feel like I missed out on life.

• When.
    If I know how much time I got left I'll probably make better decisions and enjoy life more - and maybe I'll even be content with the idea of death once the day has come.
    If I'm gonna die that's fate so I don't believe I can change that somehow and hence it wouldn't matter if I knew how - like in the final destination movies lol nah man.. I kinda have a feeling someone will kill me one day anyways so make sure that is written on my tombstone: "she always knew.."

• I want to know what will kill me.

• What will kill me.
    The other I like it to stay a mystery:)
    Otherwise I will be paranoid and obsessing over that ultimatum

• I want to know when I will die, because then I can plan my life accordingly and live it up because I know when my clock runs out of ticks. However, if I knew only how I would die then I would spend my life dreading and avoiding that one things, which depending on my death scenario could completely. negative affect my life.

• I wouldn't want to know when I'm going to die because waiting until that day comes is going to make me paranoid. I rather know how I'm going to die instead.

• Neither

• Neither. I wouldn't like knowing when or how.. like you're just waiting for some death sentence would drive me insane. so id just do it myself.. A DIY of sorts. instead of being told ur fate, just choose it yourself.

• Neither. o. O
    I'd be the most paranoid person in the world.

• nope u have to choose one

• What will kill me then... I guess.
      Because if I choose to find out when I die doesn't mean I can't die before, right? If it means I can do whatever I want and still die then and not before then I'd choose to find out when I die.

• What will kill me. Knowing when I will die would probably drive me crazy

• No friggin way I would want to know when!!

• That's a tough question...

Well, I would want to know when I'm going to die. That way I would know how much time I had.

• If I knew when I'd probably do a bunch of stupid shit and get depressed. If I knew how, I'd prep myself for it and just live normally

• What will kill me: That way I can possibly change it.

• If the situation was a car accident and that's all you knew would you stop driving or keep going knowing each time could be your last?

• @LeFrogDog I'd just be more cautious than I already would be as a driver, and I'd be a better pedestrian. Stuff like that there isn't a big chance of being able to change/stop it

• I don't want to know at all

• to know when then i could plan accordingly, if i knew how i'd die then i'd just be paranoid

• I prefer to know how it happens to do everything to delay it haha

• If it was from a car accident would you never ride/drive a car?

• @LeFrogDog I'd probably drive and hope that it would not be last time. What do you prefer to know when you are going to die?

• I swing toward the when, we are all going to die does not change the fact that I now know how. If I knew when I could prepare for it and have a blast till then :)

• I just wanna know when, that'd be pretty helpful right now

• Vote C = Make both decisions myself.

• Neither

• I want to know how I will die. I'd like to die of old age.

• when forsure

• I would want to know when i will die so I can prepare myself for da day

• When so i won't ever have to worry when itll be my time to go.

What Guys Said 21

• When sucks. You will live every day leading up to that moment in two ways:
    Carelessly as if what happens can't hurt you, or with great trepidation, dreading that each day brings you closer to death. The latter gets worse as it gets closer.

No, how matters more. With a how, you can prepare for it, and you know whether you have to future pain or not. Imagine the relief of knowing you would pass painlessly in your sleep. You wouldn't care if it was days away. All that matters is you know you won't suffer.
    And people who know they will? They can start taking steps to mitigate that.

• really tough. i feel like if i knew how i was going to die i'd be petrified anytime i was doing something that may lead to be in the situation where the death would occur... so lets just say i knew i was going to die by drowning, then i'd be petrified every time i went swimming, flew a plane over a body of water, etc

so i think i'd like to know when. I'd hate to have a sort of time clock on my life but at least i would be able to work to do all the things in life i wanted before that time

• I would rather know when as oppose to how. If I found out I would die in a car wreck I would be afraid anytime I drove. At least if I know an exact time that I am safe from anything else killing me before that. It would also help me plan my life. If I know I will die soon, it would be upsetting, but at least I would know to live for today rather than wasting my effort planning for a future I don't have.

• I don't want to know either as it could cause me to change how I live life , thus cheating me out of being the actual me

• Good question. I always thought it would be bad to know. Then I saw that film big fish. It points out that if you know then you don't have to worry about other things so much. If you knew you were going to drop dead of a heart attack at 68, then going on that questionable fare ride is no big deal. Carney dosen't tighten bolts properly? Meh- no worries that's not how you die. Those stairs look rickety? Meh- that's not how you die.
    Would change a lot. As to whether you want to know when or how: when would determine when you should start being concerned. How may only reveal when if it is an age related way but would still be useful. So I don't know. Best to know both.

• interesting.. so you can partake in high risk behavior because of it.

• Bingo. Or at least not worry if this or that will kill you.

• I would want to know when, and unlike other people I would wish it to be sooner, like before I get old, weak and ugly.

• When. Because if I knew how, I'd subconciously avoid whatever it may be, and not be able to live to my fullest.

• Exactly, it could be 5 years from now or a week and all you can do if avoid it. If I knew when I'm going to make the last week or 5 years the best

• @LeFrogDog A man of my mind. ^.^

• Neither otherwise I'd spend my entire life trying to stop it and that ironically would probably be what kills me.

• Neither, how will make you paranoid of that thing/event
    When will make you go insane of the inpending doom and you'll know whsn it will hit you (see how i met your mother, count down with the slap )

• If I know when, I can deduce how.

• I want to know when cos if it was soon (er than natural) I could stockpile weapons and wrap myself in bubblewrap, knowing my luck though I bet I'd suffocate on the bubblewrap.

• i want to know when i'll die and not want to know how, because i dont wanna escape death, i really want death

• I care WAY more about the when, vs the how.

• Knowing when is useful. Knowing how (assuming inevitability) is useless.

• How. If it's not suicide I will make it suicide and that way I will be the first person to change fate.

• Have you ever seen the movie BIG FISH, I would rather know how I'm going to die, than I'd be able to do whatever I want because I'll know I won't die from it.

• Yes, I would... tell me!

• How,
    When is just tempting fate

• I want to know when I will die. Hopefully tommorow lol jk

• id rather know what over when then i wouldn't be as paranoid about it.

• I think if I knew how then I might have a chance at preventing it at least