Does consumerism disgust you?

Most Helpful Girl

• Absolutely! But it is the back bone of capitalism.. Without the consumers the economic wheels of capitalism will not turn..
    That is why the middle class was created.

• That's not really accurate, capitalism developed just after the industrial revolution, consumerism was created following world war 2.

• @Miezko
      Clearly you don't know the foundation of capitalism! It can't survive without a consumer. Yin and yang.
      Ever heard of Tesla, jp Morgan and Edison?

• Consumerism as we no it today icicles the production of cheap goods that aren't meant to last (iphones, there's a new one every year) prior to world war 2 products were built to last.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes and no.

Yes because it allows innovation through competition; which pushes the quality of life upwards. Without consumers paying or demand for goods, no one would attempt to think 'outside the box' due to lack of rewards.

However, it is disgusting that extreme forms of consumerism encourages that the goods are the end goal, and not the people it is meant to be used on. I dont mind having a small house which houses myself and several others;its fulfilling its intended purpose to enrich a human's life. I find it disgusting that some huge mansions are virtually empty because its only seen as investments or status symbols; meanwhile some humans- the very creatures it is designed for; are misplaced and undervalued due to the lack of such capabilities/resources. Somehow, the creatures it was made for can be worth less than it in society's perspective.

Its really sad when people know the price of things, but know the value of nothing.

• humans should be loved, and objects should be used is what I'm trying to say, not the other way around.

What Girls Said 9

• No. Should it?
    Consumerism;
    the consumerists' movement, consumer protection or consumer activism, which seeks to protect and inform consumers by requiring such practices as honest packaging and advertising, product guarantees, and improved safety standards. In this sense it is a political movement or a set of policies aimed at regulating the products, services, methods, and standards of manufacturers, sellers, and advertisers in the interests of the consumer.

• I don't know. But when I grow up I want a All high end things!

• Completely. The People around me cherish that sht. Its like a second hobby for them and i just dont get the appeal.

• Not really but it can get annoying to a point.

• no, it's a system that's necessary to hold up the economy.

• I don't know how i feel on this issue

• Yes but it's necessary

• I wouldn't say disgust. It's just that it all feels very meaningless when thinking about it.

• Nope, I'm a socialist but I definitely have some commie tendencies :)

• commie? he said consumerism not communism.

• "yes", there's those commie tendencies for ya.

• Damn straight :)

What Guys Said 8

• No, I love it. It only disgusts me if it's done without a reason, like those people that struggle to have food on their table, but end up buying a new phone every 6 months, wait in line for the new Jordans, have Louis Vuitton shoes...

I like capitalism, it's the way to go, the only way to go right now, so consumerism is the only way for the economy to not collapse. If people stopped consuming, the economy would crumble. Also, who doesn't like buying shit? I know I love it, a shame I don't have more money xD

• For the most part, yes. I don't need a lot of material goods to be happy.

• not really everyone likes to have just random shit that they enjoy using or want it makes life better for some people I guess. Life would kind of suck if I just stuck to what I needed, just having this device makes me a consumer,

• yes it really does, i have seen documentaries about it and when i buy something now i ask myself the following questions.

do i need it?
    is it quality/will it last long?
    is it worth the price or are there better deals?

• Consume, consume, consume
    For need, and greed.
    We stand out with our hands out, waiting for our hand outs.
    While Daddy's little girl has a little girl who has no daddy.
    And grown men still live at home, still not quite grown.

• only if its done too much

• in good measure, no.

• Disgust, no.

Do I occasionally recognize it as a source of unhappiness in my and others lives, yes.

And agree with those making the point. Consumerism is NOT synonymous with capitalism. I'd suggest that most of the worlds most successful countries in history have mixed very open capitalism with a strong cultural value placed on thrift, hard work, and personal charity.