Why is kindness considered weak?

Why is giving without asking for anything in return "weak"?
This is limited to being asked for physical items but just like time, attention, and so on.

I noticed after awhile even though not everyone automatically see weakness and attack there are people who accept the niceties then turn around and bite the hand that once fed them.
I don't understand this mentality in people.

Most Helpful Guy

• True kindness is powerful beyond measure, but few humans possess such a feature, because greed is inherent in humans. Even those who appear kind, does it to feel good about themselves.

• This is very interesting.

Most Helpful Girl

• Kindness is only a weakness if you allow others to take advantage of your kindness.

Sometimes being kind and compassionate can draw manipulative people to you. They see you as vulnerable, but if you are assertive and never allow yourself to be a used or be a pushover , then kindness can become your strength... not your weakness

I'm a very kind hearted person but I also have my limits. I'd never say " yes" to others if It means I'm saying " no" to myself. I won't allow people to take advantage of me

• That's understandable & true.

What Guys Said 3

• It depends who you are kind *to*.

Some people come from nasty, bullying, dog-eat-dog backgrounds and have no concept of kindness. They are confused by it and can only interpret it as weakness, and then no doubt try to exploit it.

Try to spot and then avoid these people.

• Thanks for replying, that really puts things into perspective a bit more.

• Cheers!

I hope it helps you.

• Because you are opening yourself to being taken advantage of, not to mention giving up your own resources for no gain.

• "not to mention giving up your own resources for no gain"

See this is the mentality that I don't get. Why must there be "gain" for someone to want to do something for you. And who's to say that being a helping hand isn't a reasonable gain to someone and why is hardly ever considered a gain to someone?

• Not everyone who is the recipient of assistance has the best intentions. That's what I mean. Someone will take everything they can get for their own selfish ends.

• Okay I understand better now.

• I think it's because the world has become so cynical that some people don't understand benevolence, and are either confused, frightened, or intimidated when it is demonstrated.

What Girls Said 5

• This bugs me too! I would always be kind to anyone I meet in life and usually it's thrown back at you or they wouldn't do the same if the shoe were on the other foot!!!

And you find you get walked all over all the time - perhaps I would be a little weak in that I would take it rather than have a conflict!

But I don't get how people can't treat everyone how they would like to be treated!

This is a serious pet hate of mine 😡

• It's not a weakness, but many who are kind get taken advantage of often.

• kindness doesn't help u in a roast session

• Kindness is a weakness if you allow it to be. It's pretty much what happened to my friend. She used to be very nice and sweet but over the years of bullying, she turned bitter. You see, some people take advantage of other's kindness. That nice person starts to realize this and that kindness disappears.

• There's a difference between being kind and being a pushover...