Do you believe in the law of attraction?

Law of Attraction

The Law of Attraction is a New Age belief based on the concept that "like attracts like" and that by focusing on positive thoughts, such as affirming to yourself that you will win a million dollars, your thoughts and affirmations will subsequently manifest themselves by granting you the one million dollars. Your thoughts are similar to magnets. Positive thoughts will attract positive outcomes and vice versa for negative thoughts.

Regardless of the absurdities of such a hypothesis, optimism, in contrast to the Law of Attraction, has been empirically proven to enhance mental health and well-being. But repeating mantras to yourself and demanding that a higher power succumb to your wishes will not grant you instant wealth, fame or complete VIP access to the Playboy Mansion.

According to numerous books written on the subject, in order for the Law of Attraction to work, you must do the following:

1. ASK for what you want

2. BELIEVE (with complete sincerity) that you already have what you want

3. RECEIVE it and be grateful that your request was granted

The Universe or God (or whomever you pray to) will grant your wish if you truly believe, with all your heart, that you already have what you desire (believe until your brain falls out). Being grateful and thinking positive will increase the likelihood that your wish will be granted.
The Best-selling book entitled "The Secret" is about the Law of Attraction. The Law of Attraction is also the main subject in a book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide To The Law of Attraction", by Diane Ahlquist.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I think positive thinking can be beneficial but I don't think its as direct of a correlation as the "law of attraction" suggests it is.
    Nobody wants to admit it but luck does play a role. All of these condescending celebrities and rich businessmen like to go on and on about how hard they worked and how thats the key factor but realistically they all owe part of their success to luck. Certain factors that aided them in achieving their goals that they didn't have control over or will to happen.

It's a biased sample. Most of the people who preach that philosophy have been successful. Like I remember Will Smith talking about it one of his interviews. But the thing is, he is one of the few whose dreams came to fruition. There are a lot more of the people who chased their dreams and failed miserably but nobody wants to hear their story.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it works, but only to an extent. I had a friend who was convinced that it wasn't my family history of breast cancer that would give me breast cancer, it was the fact that I believed I would eventually have breast cancer. I don't think that it works that way, personally.

What Guys Said 21

• It's not actually a law. In fact it doesn't even make for a reasonable half-baked suggestion. On the other hand, the God of the Bible exists more absolutely than a distempered urge inside the mind of a rabid cat, though my analogy is sadly lacking. Either way, whatever are you rambling on about?

• No, fuck that shit.
    I spent my whole fucking life believing I was lucky. I had hope for the future, always had positive thoughts, etc. Around the beginning of high school or the end of middle school, shit started going downhill in many ways. I kept trying to stay positive. Shit got worse.

Now for the past one or two years I've just given up on that fucking stupid philosophy.

• Also karma is a fucking retarded concept as well, because of what I said above, and because most of the nicest people I know have many things holding them back which are outside of their control.

• It's one of those weird things that there is a small grain of truth in a funny kind of way, but ultimately you still have to work to get what you want. Having said that,

1. If you really want something, then it's not work to get it - ask anybody that truly loves their career with a passion and they will tell you that it's a joy.
    2. When you enjoy doing something you tend to get more into the flow of things and that helps with productivity.
    3. When you ask yourself what you want and really think about it in details (not just 'I want a nice car' but 'I want a black BMW' or 'I want a red lamborghini that's within my price range'), you will have a clearer idea about what your priorities should be, how to set about achieving your goals, etc.

But all of this stuff is more 'positive psychology' than 'law of attraction'.

• If I wanted to bring someone back to life, or a starship the size of California or to be able to fly with my own will, would that work? How about if I wanted all terminally ill patients to be cured? It sounds pretty debunked.

Of course self efficacy is important for meeting goals if that's what's meant.

• Somewhere after step 1, you have to (a) figure out a way you can make it happen, and (b) work toward that. "God helps those who help themselves..."

en.wikipedia.org/.../God_helps_those_who_help_themselves

• yes i do, prayer works like this and also magic. if you prey to a god you repeat the same things over again and it will remain stuck in your mind councious or subcouncious. the same with magic, you are supposed to use symbols and a magical language and alphabet. you must believe or it will not work, preyers will not be heard. i think that belief and negativity and positivity are powerful in the mind. superstition is also powerful. what you believe and how deep it goes is powerful. if you believe that positive things can happen to you when you are positive that can be true, as people are naturally atracted to positive people.

• No. It's basically about the amount of dedication you give to something.

If you like to so something, you will be more into it, more entusiastic, concerned, innovative.

You will put yourself in a previliged place to achieve some sucess (or luck as some say)

• That's a very simple way to put it. It's not the "Law of attraction" but rather the "Laws of attraction". While some experts believe that likes attract, there's many others who believe opposites attract. Other laws include proximity, symmetry, self-disclosure, reciprocity, familiarity etc.

• Not really new age. A similar quote is in the bible

Matthew 7:7
    "7: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. "

So, it's old news.
    I do believe in asking for I have always gotten what I asked for, which is cool.

• Yes, yes I do.

• Positive thoughts attract positive outcomes? That's not how magnets work, revise your analogy and/or introductory magnetism, please.

• Not in the slightest.

• It is only one of many laws.

• birds of a feather flock together.

• I didn't get it tbh :P !

• No..

• Ye A

• No. I believe in whatever is meant to happen is gonna happen.

• Nope. That's just not how the world works. You can ask for what you want a million times but unless you're willing to work hard enough to get it or you're one of the very few people who's lucky enough to have it handed to them then you'll never reach your goals

• "According to numerous books written on the subject, in order for the Law of Attraction to work, you must do the following:

1. ASK for what you want

2. BELIEVE (with complete sincerity) that you already have what you want"

Surely if you believe you already have what you want, you won't be asking for anything? :/

• Nope. I once was mad crazy about a girl. Believed with every fabric of my being she was the right girl for me, and went the lengths I could to make it happen but it didn't work out well at ALL!

She's probably freaking married now and here I am single as ever. lol

What Girls Said 6

• Why is this a law? This should be labelled as a theory rather, in my opinion.

• I don't know, I'm not sure...

• no, its just if you're positive and happy you won't be complaining as a depressed person

• YeS A :) :) :)

• Yes, I believe in it!

• Definitely. It worked almost. every. time.