Why do people refuse to believe there are other intelligent beings on other planets?

I've seen actually documentaries on how scientists have found planets like earth that could have other lifeforms on it. Who says those planets might not be home a race of super intelligent beings like Humans?

Most Helpful Girl

• No evidence and just because their are planets similar to ours means nothing. This one is special for a reason.

• Oh really? What's so special about this planet that those other planets don't have?

We have all the same elements that are present elsewhere in the universe, we are carbon based lifeforms which is the third most plentiful element in the universe, and even the life on our isolated speck of dust in the abyss has shown us that life as a whole is not so fragile as we are. There are fish and other creatures that thrive in the crushing blackness of the Marianna's trench over 10,000 ft below the ocean surface.

There are extremophiles that can survive the vacuum of space and levels of radiation that would kill thousands of humans, even species of deep sea plants that live off of sulphuric chemical reactions around lava tubes instead of photosynthesis.

Granted these aren't the intelligent marvels that could rival we humans, but can you really say that it's impossible? Or even unlikely that given the imensity of the cosmos that nowhere else could life exist?

• Care to relay some of those "facts" to me? I gave you a few so I think it's only fair😊

Most Helpful Guy

• The reasons can be because their world would kind of fall apart and they would be scare.

Just look at the amount of people that are willing to say "There might some bacterial life on some other planet but that's it". As if the possibly of having super intelligent life wouldn't be just as high.

Bring up the subject in a group. And you'll find people after a while starting laugh really nervous and start to look at other people for support and eventually gang up on you just to make themselves feel better. To top it off they will say stuff like "I don't believe in little green men". Just think about how many times you already heard that. I speak a couple of language and in any language I know they say the exact same thing in the exact same way. As if it's some sort of learned behavior.

My guess is that when intelligent life is found the powers that be would wait telling us and very slowly prepare us. They may be even doing this now.

As a tip, don't look at mainstream documentaries but look at the smaller independent documentaries. There is where yo get the real information.

What Girls Said 8

• there are many people who are seers rather than believers. they want evidence, rather than theories. until then, the 'thrill' of a possibility doesn't do much for them.

• I don't consider humans "super intelligent". That's probably the main reason we haven't discovered other intelligent life; because they've already been studying us for far longer.

• I don't refuse it, maybe there are!

• Some people are too narrow-minded to even try to think that other life exists

• Actually it would be great to meet human-like intelligent creatures from another planets.

• Of course it's possible.

• I don't think anyone is denying there's life elsewhere.

• Christians believe humans are the only intelligent life form made in the image of god. a big majority of people who refuse to beleive there are others out there tend to be religious nutts.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 19

• The hypothesis that life exists on other planets is simply based on probability. Basically, if there are trillions of galaxies, with millions of stars per galaxy, and billions of planets per galaxy... then there's a good chance life (even in primordial stages) is likely to exist elsewhere. Science-minded people often believe this because they WANT to believe it, through their own interest in science, biology and through influence of science fiction.

There is no doubt that other planets like Earth exist in the universe. Those with liquid water, at similar temperatures, oxygen atmosphere, planetary axial tilt, climate conditions... etc. That only suggests it could SUPPORT life. That does not suggest it HAS life.

For some, the probability rationale alone is not enough. They need to see proof to believe it. Proof may come in the form of an actual UFO, or signals (radio waves) from other galaxies of an artificial nature that could be created by another species.

• Because there's no proof of it and only a few rocks in our solar system seem to be good enough for life to develop there.

If you want aliens, you might find them in outer space, beyond our solar system. But that's so far away that traveling that far and returning would exceed your life expectancy.

• Why the fuck would you believe there are other intelligent beings. There is literally no evidence of other life forms, yes there are habitable planets but on all the ones we have seen there is nothing. I'm not saying it's not possible but it's also possible we are just alone and I believe neither until we have all the evidence.

• thats a very ignorant thing to say we have only seen what the planets looks like we haven't really scanned them or anything there could be civilizations on those planets for all we know all because we can't see doesn't mean its not there. if there is gas in your room you can't see it or smell it or feel it so is it no there? no it is there!.

• Ok your clearly not getting what I'm saying SHOW ME SOME EVIDENCE OF EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL LIFE and I will believe it exists without evidence there is only faith and that isn't scientific.

• You are correct in demanding evidence before belief. However, we're living in an age in which mathematics accurately predicts many natural phenomena and in this case, the likelihood that life doesn't exist outside of Earth somewhere in the universe is well within the margin of error, statistically. In other words, it's possible there isn't other life, but it's very very very unlikely.

• They have a point when you say that there HAVE to be intelligent life on other planets. There is definitely no guarantee that there is life. But it's a great chance. They're not saying that there CAN'T be life in space, but they're saying it's not guaranteed, which is true

• Looking at the % chnace of intlegent life is unfortunally extreemly slim due the complexity of life and ontop of the very slim chance of getting intellegence

• if you can teach a dog to spell you bet your ass there is probably some smart life out there

• I truly believe that there are intelligent beings on other planets and that we have been visited several times by different types of beings.

Right, @errhh?

• 😁!!! yesss!!!😛!!! But don't blow my cover!! 😯!! 👽👽👽!😊☺️!!!

• 😱😨!!! Oh noes!!

Hahahah it sounds like the dude narrating a trailer from a film 😂😂😁😁!!

• @Errhh, na, "the truth shall be revealed!" is from Patrick Star. Lol. It was the episode where SpongeBob threw the peanut at Clamu and made him cry for days 😋😋😋

You probably have no clue what I'm talking about, do you? 😋

• Let's slow down here, it's a "strong possibility of life on other planets" , doesn't necessarily mean there are.
    Now I WISH we have concrete evidence of it but we don't.

Anyway, why do people refuse to believe it?
    Special snowflake syndrome.

• well considering there are planets with similarities to earth such as water and possible plant life with an atmosphere its very possible that more than just plants live there.

• Maybe , but the thing about science is , seeing is believing :P
      Let's hedge our bets , play it safe and sit on "probably".

• Until there is any any proof of the opposite being the case that is the logical thing to do.
    Second thing, you underestimate how unlikely it is that we exist in the first place.
    The odds that life and humans evolved in the first place are statistically very close to zero.
    So the odds of us finding intelligent life in realistic amounts of time within the constraints of physics and human technology (before we potentially go extinct) are really quite slim.

• They have low IQ's and can't comprehend life on earth, so that's probably why. Earth is a very young planet and who said all life forms need water or oxygen they probably don't. I'd say their is life elsewhere in the cosmos. More than likely they are more developed than we are and people are scared to accept it cause religion doesn't speak of aliens and whatnot. God could of easily been an alien being that was super developed and had powers that we couldn't comprehend.

• Because those people are not intelligence enough believe it and enjoy pissing you off. By not agreeing with you.. And usually don't give a fuck..

• I think there are. It's just why do we always think they are more intelligent. If their planets are so much like earth, wouldn't they want to conquer ours for themselves. And if they are so much more superior, they would have done it already!

• Universe is so vast its statistically not possible for their to be other life forms. One day we will come in contact with other intelligent beings.

• did you know the cavemen was a intelligent race on earth under humans? sadly they were wiped out by a super volcano

• Dinasaurs weren't intelligent. Never know of any caveman intelligent species. We evolved into more intellectual species.

• true humans are vastly more intelligent than the neanderthals but they were still intelligent using their own language and being able to draw and make weapons and clothes.

• I believe there is intelligent life forms on other planets. But I think the scepticism you find in other people is based on the people who claim to have seen them.

• Until we see them there will be skeptics.

• Cuz people are too close minded.

• I don't deny the possibilities cause this is a big universe

• No evidence.

• well there is evidence for planets similar to earth. with an atmosphere. That in its self is a sign of life.

• But life as we know it is not really evidence of life.

The fact that we can survive on the components we need isn't actually proof anyone else would.

• What difference does it make. I'd still be a bitter virgin.

• We don't have any way of determining the likelihood. It's all airy conjecture.