Would you cut off someone from your life if they were the source of negativity?

I feel as though... I really need to cut off some people because they are giving me nothing but pain.

Most Helpful Guy

• I broke away from all of my childhood friends. They basically stopped liking my during high school, and afterwards into my 20's there was basically nothing. my best friend was part of that group, and I no longer know him. maybe for better, at least at the it was for better.

but it really depends on who this person is. who is this person to you?

• My mother.

• well you can try to let her know how you feel, and see what her reaction is. or maybe asking an aunt or other family member

• Thanks for MHO!

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I've cut my maternal grandmother out of my life for the 2nd time and my mother in law. Both are really mean to me and my mom in law talks bad about me behind my back, I've bent over backwards to try to please these women and can't take any more of their crap. So yes a negative relationship isn't worth it no matter who the person/people are. And do not feel guilty about it. My husband is pissed that I won't speak to his mom or go to family get togethers. Oh well. Life is too short for more misery than strangers give you. The world is hard enough.

• Thanks for the MHO! :)

What Guys Said 15

• Fuck yea.. Hell yea. Some people would then ask, what if it was someone in my family...
    My mom has been a source of negativity my Whole life. First chance i got to get away, i cut that bitch OFF... quick. If i can do that to my own mother, other people don't stand a chance lol.

• I would and have.

• Yeah, it's hard to be around those people. They're such energy vampires :(

• yes, without doubt or hesitation. if people are negative and do bad things they are not worth my time. they are canceled out my friend circles.

• Some of them are a part of the religious group I am in.

I figured a good solution is for the most part stay away from them, but the few times you need to see them be polite without being friendly

• yeah that is a great way of dealing with it. very mature.

• Definitely. 😉

• I feel you! It's hard but i need to cut off a friend or two who were "close" to me but are just too opinionated and patronising... I need to really get away from them.

• I've done this before. So yes.

• Yes, i would. And I have.

• I always do

• I have and still do.

• Yes of course. They're useless to my life so bye

• Yes we have.

• No. I relish in The Night.

• Yepp my brother is like that. Can't though cut him completely off until my parents die *sigh*

• i have questions. Why were they in your life in the first place? What do you think is their intention for giving you pain?

• They think they are 'better' than me, or they are a source of bad memories which may/may not be related to them individually but is more related to their background (for example, they were a part of the school I was enrolled in). Stuff like that.

I feel as though no matter how much you value a comfort zone, sometimes the only thing to do is to leave it, in order to be successful.

I am living at my parents right now and graduating in a month. My dad is rich, my mom doesn't work a day in her life, and all we do at home is fight, with my parents favouring my eldest 'sister.'

I am tired of it. Initially I thought I would live with them and work, so I can save money and accumulate at least 80,000 over 2-3 years. But now I am thinking the money is not worth it, I may as well spend half of that on rent but keep my sense of self

• That does sound like a horrible place to be. If you've got the means then just leave.

What Girls Said 6

• How is this a question? If someone you know suddenly starts beating you with a bat every time you see them, wouldn't the natural response be to... I don't know... Not see them anymore?

Obviously that was just a metaphor, but emotional pain can be just as scarring as the physical kind. If whoever this person is does nothing but bring you down, then try talking to them about it. If they aren't willing to change, then you need to look out for your own self interest and cut them out. How can you be expected to experience what lies outside the light at the end of the tunnel if this other person keeps dragging you further into the dark with them?

• Sometimes I feel like emotional pain is worse (this is assuming the physical pain is kept to a minimal limit as opposed to a max), because you cannot really show people what you're going through (no scars, no wounds, just pain)

• Yes why not!

• Everyone brings pain at one point or another. It's just a question of whose worth it. I've cut off (and am in the process of cutting off) people who were completely a lost cause and were bringing me no positive feelings. It's necessary sometimes

• Yes I would but it might be difficult with some people

• Yup. I have.

• If I were able to, yes.