If you weren't related, would you keep your family in your life?

there's certain people in my family I'd never have a thing to do with if we weren't related. I honestly can't stand them. a few I think I will stop talking to altogether very soon. I'm curious if anyone else feels the same.

• yes, all of them
  • only a few of them
  • none of them
  • I don't keep them in my life now

Most Helpful Guy

• I have seen that... in a family with 4 girls. My family is great, we all get along, travel, there is no friction thankfully. I cannot say why... I think we just accept each other and haven't had anything to fight about.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope even being related I keep most of them out of my life. My mother and aunts all just make up drama and lies and they fight with everyone and with each other. My mother has never been a mother to me, I've never been able to just go talk with her about things and never will again. Thought I'd give her a chance and told her about my rape and she laughs it off, says I want lying and that it never happened and that I went out with that man multiple times and has also told this to the rest of my family in which she was the only one I told a out the rape. I had to briefly live with my dad and brother and it was my brother and I had to share a pull out couch bed in the living room so every morning when my dad woke up pissed and slamming stuff he made sure to wake us both up at 4am, wouldn't let us use electricity, had no cable or internet, would purposely unhook the dryer so when I washed my clothes most days had to wear wet clothes to work, refused to help us with food and we would collect pop cans for food money and then wanted us each to pay $180 a month to live like that. My aunt accused me of using her debt card without her persmission when really her kids were the ones who had pics of her card numbers ordering things online, my one cousin would order lunch online for him and his friends and use her card to pay etc and I had a detective calling me daily over this and wasn't even involved. She had me live with her to help out with my cousin and what happened was I was playing mother to my cousin taking him to and from school and soccer, making sure his homework was done and he had dinner and she kicked her children and I out at 4am for no reason, nothing happened or anything she just decided she wanted us all out. My family are pieces of shit and can rot in hell, only ones that matter are my grandparents and my brother

• yea, I miss my grandmother. I don't really like the rest if them. the ones I do like live far away and I don't that well.

• do the camera. and get a new therapist. she should be encouraging you to fight it all the way.

• I'm deciding if I'm gonna move or not then I'll probly do something. I don't think I can try another therapist my anxiety was getting so bad going there that a few times I almost passed out in the waiting room.

What Guys Said 22

• I wish I had had a different family. Blood ties are the only thing we have in common. I had shitty parents. They weren't the worst. They cared for us. They made sure food was almost always on the table. We always had a roof over our heads. But they did not understand how to raise children. They fucked up too much, and I resent them for it. My brother, timid little creature that he is, wasn't capable of breaking free of their indoctrination, so he's a lot like them.

My mom had psychotic episodes, tried to kill herself multiple times, and was just all around crazy. She had a hard life, growing up with nothing, looking in garbage cans for food, begging, getting beaten every other day by her rabid cunt of a sorry excuse for a mother, getting raped by her redneck piece of subhuman garbage step father on a weekly basis. I don't blame her. But she knows nothing. She's not smart, at all. She's kind and loving, until she's not. I love her. But I would definitely not have chosen her as my mother.

And my dad was an aggressive asshole.

Well. My brother and I have some things in common. But, if we weren't related by blood, I wouldn't choose to hang out with him.

Simply put. My family is stupid. But. They're my family. We have a bond. Even if it's hardly more than blood.

Oh. My other family, yeah, don't give a fuck. Redneck cretins on my mom's side, pathetic wastes on my dad's side. My uncles are douchebags, too. Don't want anything to do with them.

• I don't really keep them in my life now.

The majority of my family I don't talk to, or see, even just on a monthly basis. I think the last time I talked to my dad was 4 months ago through text. I've never been a family person.

• I would keep only a very few!!!

• Most of them, especially my dad + sisters. A distant cousin who i'd not care if he was jailed for life.

• Did you just say an oxymoron, in a way? It kind of seems like it to me. Anyways, to answer your question, would I socialize with family if I couldn't really stand them? I guess not.

• A lot of my family believes they are better than others and I can't stand that shit. My stepbrothers and stepsisters I rarely ever talk to. It's kinda awkward now. I do like the fact that none of my family is on my ass about anything. Life is a big easier. We all kinda do our own thing until the holidays come and we have to see each other

• I'd keep them all, i'm fortunate to have an overall good family life.

• Went with none of them cause they always expect me to do shit but rarely help me when I need it and I always have to jump for them but have to wait for my help, its so annoying. I'm better off alone anyway I think

• If I could live independently, I don't see why I wouldn't ditch all of them, to be honest.

• I haven't seen or heard from anyone in my family in a decade. I got kicked out when I was 16, I'm 27 now.

• what did you do when they kicked you out?

• No, we had a falling out.

• oh, that's too bad. I actually don't get on with any of my siblings at this point either.

• It would bleed out real quick. To little in common. Too many quarrels in my youth..
    It's sad. But nevertheless the thruth.

• Yeah a few I could go without seeing. I think thats in every family

• it isn't just a few of them. I'm saying I'd have nothing to do with almost all of them.

• Yeah; my parents actually have several friends my age.

• Not a single one.

• Only one of them and that's my baby brother

• They're better off without me.

• mom, dad and my bro

• What kind of relations are you talking about? Close or extended? How close or extended?

• I live with the so... yes.

• I had to take public transport to and from chemo because no one could take any time out to drop me off or pick me up, so when they're not there for something as important as that it's pretty hard to feel anything for them afterwards.

• Lol kinda doesn't matter they don't or can't help... and they don't really know me either...

• My sister probably

What Girls Said 20

• I only keep the people in my life who matter to me.

Such as my mothers aunt, she's helped me and my mom out a lot so she stays in my life.

But im not keeping any of my fathers family or my father in my life, because he's abusive and that side of the family is nothing but selfish assholes

• A few of them maybe. Unfortunately, if my parents weren't my parents, I know that I wouldn't want them in my life.

• I find it interesting you'd say that, having a Clannad icon.

• @Dragonblood21 Damn, I never realised the irony before :P

• I think it's ironic and not. Clannad is my favorite anime (shared with steins gate), and I also have no relationship with my parents or family. The anime appeals to people with a crappy family. It's made me want to fix my family, but there is really only so much I can do.

• No, I wouldn't. They're crazy (but not in a good way), they don't respect me, they don't accept me as I am, they don't take me seriously, they don't care about me. They're always making fun of me.
    And honestly, if I died today they would dance on my grave. I'm not kidding.
    I'm already planning on disappearing and leaving them behind. I just need some time until I'm able to do it. They won't hear from me again.

• I only keep a few in my life now

• I will keep away just one family member away from me in particular: my first cousin. Recently he did something to me I did not expect he did it and because of what he did, he ruined a nice opportunity with a guy I like, only because my cousin is this guys BFF. So at this moment I hate my cousin and I dont want to see him again in a very very long time.

• My sister's a manipulative bitch, my dad's an abusive drunk, and my younger brother is a budding psychopath. Cut ties with them, and I can deal with the rest of the family drama.

Actually, scratch that last bit. If they were gone, there wouldn't be family drama.

• Probably not with some of them.

• Yes, all of them.

• hahahaahahah!!! Really? Am I the only one that hit the last vote? XD Damn !

I don't care if we're related, for me family doesn't start in blood and don't end in blood. You make family.

• Yes all of them.
    My family is awesome. Love them all.

• Vote B. I ask myself this a lot. as some family members I don't respect at all.

• I'd feel ungrateful to say no

• Only a few lol

• Yeah I'm a big family person. I don't know what I'd do without them

• Maybe my mom... Otherwise none

• no bc the older generation is full of racist mofos including my parents

• Just my parents. My siblings suck, especially my sister.

• Only my parent, sister, my uncle, tant and my cousins.

• Just my mom really.
    Maybe my step dad and a few of my cousins but the only b one that doesn't drive me absolutely bonkers is my mom

• Yes. They're all imperfect but I wouldn't change anything