Do you think dentists are a rip off?

A couple months ago, I went to the dentist to get one of my teeth worked on. The rest need work too (fillings, two root canals, and one crown), and the dentist asked us what we would be able to pay for. We're not insured, nor rich, so my mom said she had about $1000 to spend.

We went back today for a couple fillings, and the total for THAT alone came to $700! It was a plan to stretch everything out over a long period of time, so that requires a lot of visits with smaller expenses. How do fillings come out to be $700? They printed up a total estimate of everything (the root canals, crown, etc), and it was nearly $5,000! That does not include everything else we have already paid for.

My mom cried. We don't have that kind of money. We said $1000 at the start.
(Sorry for the long description, but you don't have to read it to vote)

• Yes!
  • No!
  • Sometimes

Most Helpful Guy

• From what I read, dentists in the USA charge way too much.

• What do they charge in your country? Or what other countries can be compared to the USA?

• Right, but there's no intricate privatized insurance system that is similar in most of the world. Basically the financial architecture is really different as is the governmental set-up. It has pros and cons though but I've yet to really find out much about external countries and their insurance systems yet.

• Our health insurance is valid in the whole E. U. on a mutual cross border agreement: Our insurance pays for French people in Belgium, French insurance pays for Belgian people in France.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2pmib.jpg

Most Helpful Girl

• no... that's just how much it costs... without them your mouth would be a disaster... maybe you'll brush better now that you know how expensive it is

What Guys Said 11

• I am sorry I am a cash paying man myself and yes many dentists are ripoffs but you pay for what you get and my dentist gave me an infection during a root canal he dug down to deep and I paid the price alright and all he kept saying was sorry

• They value their yeeeeeeeeears of studying and experience, and on top of that they need pretty expensive equipment and materials to do things right.

What's your profession? I work in IT, and no, I don't think dentists overcharge at all. I won't do a site for 100$ and I don't expect a dentist to do a crown for 100$ either.

• Dentists in the US and Canada charges WAAAYYYY too much without guarantee that the price you pay equals to the quality of the service you receive.

• Yes, two of my crowns broke within two years! Even with insurance, it's $600 each for another one! Fuck that, I'm not paying another one for them!

• Just so I know this, how might a crown be broken? When I get mine, I want it to last as long as possible. They're saying mine will cost $1000, on top of the $1000 root canal for the same tooth.

• That is why I hate dentists... The entire thing is a scam. Stores stock the shelves with junk food and soda, which is the reason why our teeth get so bad. We could brush twice a day and it still might not be enough.
      It's a cycle, really. You eat, brush, see the dentist, pay their fees, and repeat. It's inevitable.

• You are so right! It's the same with doctors! Everything is a scam to make money off of you! Don't be fooled!

• i am not for socialism but the government should at least provide health care. i mean dont they care for their people?

• Definitely. I mean, why pay one of those jackasses to pull teeth when you can just wait and they'll fall out themselves? Total ripoff.

• Absolutely. Who needs teeth?

• I'm covered by insurance. Every time I go it's always free.
    Perhaps try paying for insurance?

• There are good doctors and bad doctors.

• Yeah same with doctors, if you're not insured you're f****d

What Girls Said 4

• No not at all

• No teeth are very important!!

• They're sooooo are!!!

• Sometimes yes they are a rip off. Its hard to find good people that will work with you.
    I've been lucky enough to find a dentist that understand my finical situation and doent rip me off.