Why do people like living in the middle of nowhere?

I just saw a question about some guy being paranoid about guns being banned because he needs his to deal with wildlife. It got me thinking: why do people live out in the middle of nowhere, in places where help is hours away, you have to live off grid and run your own generator and where you're at risk of being eaten by bears? That seems illogical. Plus, I don't want to be any further away from Vietnamese takeout than I currently am and this alone is torture.

Please discuss

Most Helpful Guy

• vietnamese takeout. those spring rolls are good. pho is amazing.

well i think there are many of those Ron Swanson types out there, who prefer nature's call.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not sure but I want to some day because it would be quiet, a lot of privacy, and a way to build my home by adding things to it (barn, pool, etc.)

• It doesn't bother you that you'd be nowhere near decent help if anything went wrong?

• See, someone that finally sees and makes a modicum of sense. :)

• Thanks! Lol I know that I won't move out in the country right away, but some day I would hope to find a nice house that has some privacy, even if it's a mile from the highway surrounded by trees.

What Guys Said 19

• Because my mortgage for my 1 acre property is $450 / month, property taxes are $1000 / year, home owners insurance is $1000 / year, and gas is $2.17 / gallon. Pollution and crime are minimal and I have offstreet parking for 8 cars... and no snow.

If you miss Vietnamese takeout, learn to cook Vietnamese and do it yourself.

• And how much time do you spend commuting into work?

• This sounds like Florida... or Texas.

• It was 13 minutes, but now 30 because my office moved and I need Dunkin Donuts coffee in the morning. I live in Missouri.

• Reminds me of the movie "Into The Wild." 😮

Anyway, I'd say it is because nature can evoke a sense of beauty for some people. It's just kind of like how there are people who like city and there are people who like country... Albeit taken to an extreme.
    The beauty of nature for some and the do-it-yourself/self sustaining lifestyle is worth the risks for some people.

I think the answer is simply, because they don't want to be around people and they want to be as close to nature as possible. It's kind of like Thoreau's viewpoint and can be traced back to Transcendentalism.

I wouldn't go so far as to live in wilderness, but I can understand the drive/motivation. Nature is awe inspiring and beautiful.

• Some people like the solitude or the countryside like around here it's beautiful and peaceful though wild animals aren't that much of a problem unless your in certain areas.

You have the joy of kicking people off of your private property you can piss off of your front porch.

Among many other things but those are a few examples

• Yes, but if you're like three hours from a hospital, if a bear tries to eat you, you're a goner!

• And you don't think Son of Trudeauenstein isn't planning to import an underclass for you too? You will learn the hard way...

• @Curmudgeon I won't be killing anyone just because I feel like it though. For all your supposed moral high ground as conservatives, you're incredibly callous with human lives.

• I love being in the middle of nowhere. Putin the ocean, in the woods, mountains, desert, etc. I can relax and think more clearly in solitude.

Lots of folks take pride in becoming self sufficient too.

I live near a big city now, and there are too many darn people running around. Sure it's convenient, but the down side is too many people, rules, and not enough space. I don't know how people live in big cities, stuffed in with millions of other people living on top of each other.

It's all in perspective I guess.

• It's intensely expensive to live in a part of the city *worth* living in, and even then you have to deal with traffic to and from work every day, which for a lot of people might be a couple of hours if there's construction (which generally lasts for weeks or months) or an accident (because some little shit got impatient or was being oblivious and did something stupid), plus you have no choice but to get along with all of your neighbors, who, unless you're able to afford a mortgage and buy a home, are constantly changing, and often just won't be decent or reasonable people (or maybe they're alright, but they can't control even just one bad apple, and even one out-of-control teenager who thinks he is a man-grown, and the rules do not apply to him, can really fuck up your days), there's really nothing to do in the city that doesn't cost more money (the activity itself, parking, etc) on top of the often unmanageable costs of just *existing* thusly, smog, gangs, shitty attitudes, and on and on...

Some people take it to the opposite extreme...

• 1. Because the "wide open spaces" are often beautiful. Imagine owning enough room for you (or your future daughters) to have horses.

2. Because the costs of living are much lower. And this in spite of the fact that many goods need to be trucked into the hinterlands. Which tells you just how costly some cities are.

3. Because you have the free space to explore, create something, farm crops should you choose, or just plain do whatever you want to do. Want to have practice space for a loud "garage band"? Who will complain if you have two or more acres?

• Some people like lions, tigers, and bears oh my!

• Lmao Bears are more afraid of you then anything. Except maybe grizzly bears. You learn to adapt when you live in the middle of nowhere. I love the peace and quiet. Away from you bastards in the city lol. Its nice to sit are a campfire in the woods and lookup at the night sky. You won't be bake to do that in the city. You learn to make the food then if you love it so much. 😛

• Have you ever made fish broth? It stinks up the whole house. And no, bears are not afraid of humans. There were far too many at the mine I worked at for that to be true.

• Lol I live in Wisconsin all my life. I've hunted and spent weeks in the wilderness. Yes I know what i am talking about

• I lived and worked near the Arctic circle. No you really don't.

• because they hate people and would rather be bear dinner

• Because it's cheaper, it's nicer, and overall life is just better.

Less crime, less dirty.

Why tf WOULDN'T you?

U can get a big house in Illinois for the same price of an apartment in New York

• Who said anything about New York? I want to live in a suburb where I can go to a hospital!

• If you work not in the middle of nowhere, how much time do you waste commuting? How much money do you spend on that commute?

• Not much. My dad lived in a place like that for a while, hospital was ten minutes away. Video chatted with friends.

• -Makes 30 minutes or less real valuable
    -don't have to deal with people, especially the ones of the stupid variety
    -you can do what you what you want without people knowing
    -nature and shit
    it's usually cheaper

• because some people don't like people.

• Usually to get far away from people who don't understand the appeal of living out in the middle of nowhere.

• No neighbours and I can see the enemy coming.

• So you don't like nature and don't know how to cook... Stay in the city...

• Some people enjoy peace and quiet with no neighbors and no BS.

• H. O. S. P. I. T. A. L.

• Don't you think it's wise to be relatively close to one?

• Oh, I thought you were telling me I needed one. If you said that, you'd probably be right. Lol. Anyway, yeah, it would be nice to be near one. My family has a place like that in the middle of nowhere (kinda), it has health care nearby.

• You might courage the cowardly dog in the middle of nowhere.

• because they can stay off the annoying people who don't

• It usually depends on what they experienced in life.

I've lived - rented, commuted, worked, etc.- most of life in the city, so in more rural places is a nice change of pace for me. It's sort of like people who don't live in the city wanting to move there.

What Girls Said 6

• I was/am a country girl, and I like living in countryside. I don't like the noises in cities. I don't like the crowds of people. I don't like seeing strangers every minute. It makes me sick, and I believe living in crowded cities is what making people dumb and mentally sick.

I'm also in building and Real Estate business. There are many reasons from better design, to cheapness if you know rural life and don't want to live half an hour from a large expensive city and go downtown each day, usually less property taxes, energy efficiency again if you know how to manage rural life and where and how to build your house according to yours and your family's needs. Depending on your rural-living abilities it can make housing and living relatively cheaper, at the same time healthier.

Simpler and smarter life. Quieter and healthier space. Understanding independence and being motivated to struggle to improve yourself in order to live, in order to defend and protect yourself.

Rural areas create free men.

• i would never. i wouldn't be able to stand being so isolated

• -buying a home and land package out in the country is cheap
    -real community feel. Small place, small town everyone know each other within seconds
    -peaceful
    -great views

• Yeah, but then everyone is always all up in your business. If you have a food baby one day or something, everyone thinks you're pregnant with some dude's bastard.

• Yeah of course baha news spreads out like a virus and everyone is all up in your business. There's always pros and cons about it all this happens to be a con. My sister and her husband live in the countryside. They're like an hour and 12 minutes away from me, I freaking hate having to drive up and back within a day to spend time with them. The commute is annoying

• I feel you.

• Sometimes living in the city is expensive af. Compare rent in New York to rent in Montana... exactly.
    Not only that, there are less crime rates and the chance of you being eaten by a bear is far less than you being killed by a runaway criminal. Not to mention extreme pollution.
    Also, sometimes people just love the wild. I actually prefer living in the countryside than the city. Where my family and I live right now is basically in the middle of that.

• I mean, I would prefer to live in the suburbs because there's a hospital if I get attacked by a rabid animal.

• That's why my parents picked the suburbs, it gives you a bit of both.

• less to deal with... sometime i want to get away from all the chaos and the middle of nowhere is the perfect place. ever been stressed out and want to get away and take a break from life some people like that

• It's called freedom ^^

• It's called not dying of grievous injuries.

• They also died at 45. I

• everyone dies lol

That;s just something You got to feel it to understand.