I need to overcome my fear of driving. How?

0|1
5|17

Most Helpful Guy

• My advice would be to start driving short distances. Then as you get confident doing that drive a little bit further and when you are fine with that drive a bit further. Take it in small steps as driving a long way right now might freak you out. Hope this helps.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• You overcome your fear by confronting it. What exactly makes you afraid to drive? Is it fear of getting into an accident? If that's the case, go out and drive in a safe place with no other cars. An empty parking lot. Just drive around.

Then when you are done, mentally note that you did not get into an accident. Do that a few times, and you will start to feel more in control. Gently ease yourself into driving with other traffic. Even if it's just driving around parked vehicles which are not going anywhere. That will help make you feel more comfortable.

As you start to get feeling better about driving, you can start to do more things.

Good luck!

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 16

• Take your time. Be patient and don't rush. Drive slowly by pressing the gas or acceleration pedal gently compressing or pushing downwards. Practice. Practice. Practice. It will take time to adjust and not feel the anxiety and nerve racking feelings. Have someone that is really experience to guide and instruct and help you learn how to drive. Sign up for professional Driver's Education course.

1|0
    0|0
  • Drive in areas where you are comfortable until you hone your driving skills.

1|1
    0|0
  • drive... to overcome fear you need to face it... hence the term "to overcome" :
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/overcome

to defeat one's fear, one must face it

1|0
    0|0
  • I know someone who had fear of driving after being in a accident. (Bus driver) His company arranged professional help to get him over it. He basically just had to force himself to get behind the wheel and start driving. In the beginning only 1 km. on a straight road. Turned out ok. He was back at his job after a few sessions.

1|0
    0|0
  • Drive in less populated areas and gradually increase the driving until you're good

1|0
    0|0
  • 0|0
    0|0
  • Well i recommend you to start driving big cars or even Trucks , that will make you better

1|0
    0|0
  • Taught plenty of peeps best way , drive a golf cart. once comfy then real car... local golf course works well... smiles n hugz 🍀🐶🍀

0|0
    0|0
  • Drive a motorcycle ;P

0|0
    0|0
  • Why do you fear driving?

0|0
    0|0
    • Accident... but I am not the one who drive at that time.

• Perhaps you should discuss your fear with a threapist and work out a strategy jointly that will enable you to overcome the fear.

• keep on doing it and it will go away, i use to get nervous when i first started driving but it goes away with time.

0|0
    0|0
  • go karts

0|0
    0|0
  • Watch fast and furious series

0|0
    0|0
  • Drive drunk.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ho to a backroom in the middle of know where and start there that's how I learned but and I was 6

0|0
    0|0
  • try playing car racing games

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Have you ever driven a car before? Maybe driving with a driving instructor where they have the pedals on there side, may help. A couple of those lessons may help you out.

1|0
    0|0
  • the only way to get over your fear is by doing it a little each day for a week then the next week doing it a little more and so on till you have confidence in yourself

1|0
    0|0
  • first drive somewhere that is empty and no one is around, let yourself get used to it and try to not freak out

1|0
    0|0
  • Go go kart racing.

Sounds stupid but just picture yourself bigger than the car.
    Just focus on the people in front of you. The people in the back are watching the people in front of them, so if you are that scared just try to focus on the fact that people behind you are also paying attention to the road

1|0
    0|0