At what age should I be able go to the local mall alone with friends?

I'm 13, and I'm going into 8th grade. I'm very responsible, have good grades, all that stuff. I'm on summer vacation right now and my friend invited a bunch of people to go to the mall. My mom said I couldn't go unless a parent stayed (not going with us to every store, but at least in the food court or something). I understand this, but I just feel like it's a little overprotective. My friends parents are dropping them, but I can't go because everyone's parents are at work. And it's not like my mom needs to drive me because where I live, you walk out of my front door and can literally see the mall, it's a 2 min walk. Also, this mall is pretty safe and in a good area. Is my mom being overprotective? Can I convince her to let me go, or should I just not say anything?

What age could you go to the mall alone?

Most Helpful Guy

• 13 is good age to start with in my opinion, as long as you have some money to eat or buy some trinket stuff like charm bracelets.

Nothing is worse in a mall than a bunch of broke teens loitering around killing time. That is how adolescents get in trouble; trying to "invent things to do" when they don't have the money to patronize the businesses.

-----

What is so funny is that I have a brother that is 16, and my mom for the longest time was worried about him "getting into trouble". I campaigned for my brother to my mom, saying that as long as they have money to eat and drink at the food court, he and his friends will be just fine.

Most teenagers just want to go somewhere without direct supervision and to socialize with their friends and with peers.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmmm. I went at 13 for the first time. I don't see the issue as long as you have a cellphone and you are with a group of trustworthy people. My mum is very protective and makes me text her like every 20 minutes when I go out but she still lets me go out at least (but I rarely do because I hate going out lol). I'd say talk it over with her, maybe get her into contact with some of the mums of your chums who are going too. When discussing it with her make some sort of plan like, "I'll text you when we leave the food court and go to *insert store name here*, then I'll text you again in about an hour". But if you try to talk to her about it and she clearly isn't going to let you go, don't hound her about it.

Good luck.

• Also, have you talked about it with your dad? My dad is a lootttt more lenient about stuff like this. My sister likes to go out and she usually asks my dad first and my dad usually convinces my mum to let her go.

What Guys Said 8

• As long as you're home before dark it's OK.

• 16 I guess

• In the day time though night time leaving the mall is not safe

• 14-15 i guess. hell if we let kids drive at 16 going to the mall should be less

• If you have a phone and say when you're due back, I'd say it's fine, especially given it's so near.

• Thank you:)

• If you do go, make sure you're back on time or that will break the trust.

Of course, don't have your money obvious to everybody - keep it out of sight in a purse or an inside pocket.

I agree that 13 is too young to be at the mall at night.

• I went to the mall alone in 5th grade when I was 11. It depends on your maturity level but you seem pretty mature to me. You should definitely be allowed to go to the mall by yourself.

• Why do you need to go to the mall? Just order what you need online.

• @redeyemindtricks lol yeah, that was pretty much the goal haha

• Srsly though -- I don't know where asker lives, but, in most of this country outside big cities, the mall is about where it's at, as far as places to hang out for free (especially when school isn't in session).

Ironically, they're probably going to the mall so they DON'T have to spend money if they don't want to.

• 17 not before

• I agree , 17 is ideal , should be minimum 16

• I know you aren't supposed to talk to strangers and if someone offers you something you say no. Also, I'm going would be going with a group of friends, and all of them are very cautious with that type of stuff. It's not one of those rough malls, and sure there could be bad people anywhere, but there is good security here. *also note how I haven't mentioned my city or the name of the mall, because I'm safe like that

• that doesn't change anything... you may be catious all you want or hang out with friends... you are 13 you are not mature enough to hang out alone OR with friends

• Just don't talk to strangers.

What Girls Said 11

• My mother let me go when I was 10, but then again I grew up in a very small town. Everyone knew everybody. Most of the cashiers knew me or my friends. When I was 13, she did let me go to the city with some older teens, but she knew them well. I was always allowed to go places on my own, but I think it was because of where I grew up. I do think 13 is old enough. I live in a city now and I go shopping sometimes. I see young teen girls in the mall all the time. I think as long as it's the afternoon it should be fine.

• At your age I was allowed to go to the mall alone, however a parent DID drive us. I think its reasonable for you to go aslong as you give your mum the time, and location.

• I'm 15 and just this year (9th grade) my mom started letting me go to the mall by myself, but to be fair I'd not expressed interest in going, by myself or with her, previously.

I'd talk to your mom about it. Ask her "is there something specific you're worried about happening if I go to the mall with my friends but no adult?"

She might be concerned that she'll need to reach you but your phone will be dead, or you'll get into some sort of dangerous situation or get lost. Figure out a way to best address her concerns, and she'll most likely let you go. If it helps, you could have an adult go with you a few times, and them when she sees that you don't need the adult she might reconsider.

• 16 or 17 years old

• 13 should be fine. You're with a group of people after all.

• I was going to mall at 12 with friends. But I live in a small city. We only have one mall and it's tiny. It's just where all the teens would go to hang out so my mom never worried. Plus I have 4 older brothers and cousins that would be their to.

• As long as friends are with you I would say it's okay. But not completely alone until you're able to drive alone, so like 16.

• i was going into the town centre (10 minute drive from my house) with my friends at around 13 i guess? :) we got dropped off and picked up by parents though and we were all 'good' and 'mature' so my parents were fine with that :)

• 16 sounds like a good age to start going to the mall without a parent.

• I wasn't allowed to go anywhere alone until I was 14.

• My mom is the same and its annoying tbh.