Are animal lives more important than human lives?

In light of the Cincinnati zoo ordeal with a gorilla being shot, I'm starting to wonder whether people think animal rights are more important than human lives.

I've had a handful of people tell me this is this case over the last couple of days...

• Yes.
  • No.
  • See results.

Most Helpful Girl

• Last time I checked we were mamals as well which are animals...

I know what you're talking about. The thing is that she should've been watching her kid, he shouldn't have jumped, they should've had something to prevent situations like this from happening, and all of the people watching shouldn't have went crazy and prokoked it only making the situation worse.

The same thing happend before except the ape mothered it. They actually believe that that was what the male was trying yo do while he was dragging him but then things got worse. Everyone's watching screaming when you just want to be left alone.

I really wish they had more time to use the tranquilizer but it would've taken to long and been too late. Yes the boy deserved to live and I'm glad that they rescued him but I just wish it wasn't at the gorilla expense and one that's endangered at that. But they did the right thing.

• I wouldn't say more important I would say equal but the reality is just like with any animal you put your species first.

• They said the tranquilizers make the guerillas violent until it takes full effect which could have been minutes. so it would have been too dangerous for the kid.

• @somebodysaycheese

Yeah I know which is why I said they made the right decision in the end. It's just still unfortunate.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you only want to look at this issues as gorilla vs human life, then I agree with you. What happened isn't that simple though. For me context matters.

I found the idea of what happened interesting. That gorilla was a very intelligent creature that had a lot of capacity to enjoy it's life. Somehow it got put into that zoo. It had no choice about that. It was trying to enjoy it's life in the situation it was in. A human got into it's cage. The gorilla had no control over that. It approached the human for whatever natural biological reason (just like one of us may). Maybe it was curious. Maybe it was scared. Maybe it wanted to threaten to the boy to leave. The really interesting part to me was the animal was killed (100% expendable) because there was a threat to the boy. I don't think the gorillas life was more important than the boys. What I find thought provoking is how that intelligent animal had someone come into it's home and it was killed because of a possibility of harm to the boy. We don't know what would have happened but the guaranteed safety of the boy trumped the gorillas life.

A day before a profession athlete accidentally kicked down the door of the wrong apartment. A person in the apartment shot and killed him right after. They aren't going to prison though. They aren't going to prison because of the context of the killing. A boy gets into the animals home yet the gorilla is shot. The difference is one habitant is a gorilla.

What Girls Said 8

• Appearantly. A cop leaves a police dog in a hot car, the dog dies and the cop gets indicted and gets criminal charges. You mean to tell me that an unarmed person of color gets beaten shot or killed and the cops get a paid vacation and no charges? FOH.

I don't know how people get more upset over a dog in a hot car and will go as far to break a window but no one hardly jumps at leaving a child or a baby in a hot car. It's all baffling to me. I love animals too but certain situations I'm not going to prioritize the animals life over like a baby.

• I think people are over thinking this entire thing. The reason people are mad this gorilla was killed is because he was killed due to a mother not watching her damn kid and NO OTHER REASON. It's not like he climbed out of the exhibit and started going ham on people. The incident was called by a mom not being mindful and nothing else. So because a mom couldn't be bothered to keep tabs on her kid, a gorilla lost his life.

• It happens to even the BEST parents that a kid wanders... for fuck sakes.

• You're a teacher, your job is to teach and look after kids. If this happened to you whilst you were teaching you would be sacked on the spot and wouldn't be allowed to teach again. You can't be "fired" for being a mum.

Uh, yes, it happens to the best of parents... What are you going to charge the woman with? Neglect? Is she bullying the kid, is she hurting him? What are you going to charge her with?

• So it's not the mom's job to watch her kid? You sound fucking stupid. If I said the kid got away from me, no one would care, but if they get away from the mom, it's not her fault?

American logic. She should be held just as responsible as I am.

• Yes. Take a look at humans and their actions and you'll see why. Though very intelligent, an animal doesn't know any better, because it's in their nature to be wild. Stupid humans who you would expect to be somewhat evolved and civilized, grow into adults to do the some pretty messed up things. So yes, animals are innocent as a baby is... until the little bastard grows up.

• I dont care about human beings, we are a cruel. Animals can't speak, they can only speak in actions and show emotion and that fucking zoo shot an innocent gorilla because they thought the gorilla was going to hurt the boy. As I get older, I dont care about humans, they showed me that theyre careless selfish bastards.

and I dont care if any of you disagree with me...

• They are just the same important. But people think we are superior because we are the ones who could kill all of them (using guns obviously)
    And I think it wasn't fair that the gorilla got shot straight away

• They had to make a quick decision to protect the child, shooting the gorilla was their choice.

But in this scenario, is it more important to protect the 4 year old child or the 400lb gorilla?

• Yes they make money, so what... most zoos I know of treat the animals with respect and dignity.
      They have there own enclosures, places to sleep, food to eat and aren't bothered by visitors.
      But I don't see why I should be pointing this out, you should know it.

• I know this, but you asked "Is that why we build zoos and other protected habitats to help endangered animals prosper?" and I told you it is because of money. I'm not saying animals in the zooz aren't treated good, I'm saying people (most of them) wouldn't take care of them if it wasn't for the money

• When is comes to endangered animals... Yes. Their lives r more valuable because one a species is gone the entire ecosystem goes whack

• Anyone who thinks a animals life is greater than a humans needs to get their head checked.

• In my opinion, yeah. But only cause I love animals and hate people. Generally.

What Guys Said 13

• In some cases I would say yes. It's super fucked up this gorrilla died because some woman couldn't control her badass kid.
    However I do think the zoo jumped the gun with the execution, when they could have tried some other method's of getting the child before

• They are equal to human lives. That they had to shoot the gorilla, is nothing but their fear of getting hurt, them being afraid and unsure of what to do.

• This is going to be a biased poll because animals don't use gag.

• If you are looking for simple black and white answer. No animal lives don't matter more than humans. Human life supercedes of the animals anytime.

However there is absolutely no excuse for animal abuse. Hence why gorilla being shot was a tough call.

• If the boy got killed, the gorilla would probably end badly anyway. Maybe death equally.

Then you have 2 deaths.
    A closed zoo, or at least with a lot of future problems
    Maybe people loosing jobs also

• Depends on the human and the animal.

• No but there a close second.

And we use our top dog menaltity to slaughter them and not feel bad. when we make mistakes

• Animal lives also important but humans more , well in western countries they care more about animals rights than humans , Today lots of humans are dying by different things across the world and no one cares

• All lives matter equally

• no, our species comes first.

• They are the same.

• No way! but subconsciously yes :p

• That appears to be the case.
    Where I live long horn mountain sheep are almost extinct. Long story short the parks dept tried to repopulate the herd. The mountain lions ate most of them. What an uproar that caused.
    Isn't that the natural cycle of wildlife? What did they expect?