Can someone be smart without liking readings?

I don't like readings. I mean I am smart, I can understand complex concepts most people can't.

And I can do super-well on exams with 4 days of study.

So hurrah.

But I really detest readings. Like articles of 25-pages etc. it's a kind of torture for me.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you can still be smart but in general it helps if someone reads a lot. You can understand text better understand the language better, read faster and easier, absorb information faster and a bunch of other advantages. Espcially at higher levels of education so much is just reading a ton and learning it. It's kinda annoying but that's the way it is. I think reading is definitely important but it doesn't detremine how intelligent someone is. It's a very useful tool that can help you learn easier and faster.

• Hmm I agree. I think reading is a lot about practice.

The more you do it the better.

But the first time I read something, I simply do not process all the information. I think I read so fast that the words don't sink in. The second or third time I 'get it'.

But for really complex math readings, (well not math more like finance) I 'get it' pretty soon. I know for a fact a lot of people don't.

• @dreamer33 I loved reading since I was a kid first my dad would read to me but then I'd read by myself soon. Lately I haven't read as much (books anyway) because I'm on he computer all the time :P. But I still like it and I feel like I don't have to practise it anymore it's just there now. I think it also has many other uses that are not talked about that often. For instance in school when reading french I would understand way more of a text even if I didn't know more words just because I'd understand sentence structure and what words are often connected with others etc. Other people just give up when they see a text with unknown words. I think reading is connected with intelligence because people who read a lot are often at least not totally stupid they're informed about more things and they've been exposed to different ideas. Also in the past books were the only way to transfer and store knowledge so people who read usually knew way more than others and it was a special thing.

• I think those are some good points.

But I would also argue, sometimes it's also about particular concepts and how much you grasp them/are able to think about them.

For example I did tremendously well in a business law course. Most people didn't. Most people couldn't use their brain to apply logic behind why one law would work over the other.

Stuff like that makes me realize I am of course smart. To what extent that's another story lol

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like reading at an early age helps develop very important skills as a child. I read a lot of books as a kid and I can definitely say it's helped me be a better writer.

However I also think that in today's society/world of instant gratification and short attention spans, it's not unusual to not want to read 25 page articles. Not to rag on you though, your English sounds a little off grammar-wise.

• I don't care enough to have good grammar when I'm posting anonymously lol.

Anyways, I do think I'm an excellent writer.

But I do find readings to be complex, I think it's the opposite for me.

I used to read a *lot* growing up till I was around 12 so very important writing skills were established from that.

But then I stopped for the longest time, so it was pretty difficult for me to read. My language is actually admittedly not perfect, in terms of I don't know what the word 'ostentacious' is. Because of a lack of reading mostly

• You think what's the opposite?

• Sorry anyways I don't think I directly answered your question. Yes I think someone can be smart without consistently reading like 25 page papers, but I do think that reading builds fundamental skills when you're younger.

What Guys Said 13

• Smart? Yes. Smart is just a measure of raw brain power and comprehension.

Educated? No. Very little that is complex can be reduced to bite-sized snippets for ingestion and processing. If you wish to have any knowledge about complex issues, you have to devote the time and energy to take them in, and if you won't read, that won't happen.

• I disagree, reading is only one way people learn, you could also be a visual learner, someone who learns by personal experience, or even by oration.

• You might be correct, however I'm disagreeing, I don't think it does. I might not be right, but it is what I think.

• I like summaries. See when I read 30 pages of reading.. I'll be done and be like... what the fuck.

BUT when I read a 5 page summary of that article, I'll be like yup I got it

• Being "smart" is in my ideology a composite of intelligence, knowledge and creativity. I can't really judge you over the internet but it is safe to say that while having the patient personality to read long documents will help you to gain knowledge quicker not possesing patience is not necessarily a giant set back. You will grow and change and develop more patience as you age and at the same time find that if your interested in a topic you'll be more likely to read 30,40,50 pages without a problem.

• Street smart... dont need to read... just common sense

• @tdieseler are you suggesting to OP that she is not book smart because she doesn't like readings?

Even book smart people struggle with mathematical concepts

• @dreamer33 i still don't like reading long stuff... i get the concept and get out

• Struggling to read or even rarely reading more than likely will effect reading comprehension, but like dreamer33 said, a smart person (in language arts) can struggle with math, and actually commonly does. It's not strange at all for someone who excels in literature type classes to have a hard time in math type classes and vice versa. And, yes, in both cases the person is typically labeled as book smart.

• Maybe you are not trying to read about topics you like.

Anyway, that's a present tendency. People are being more visual, so they get inforrmation from video and movies.

That's why twitter grow big, most people are losing patience to read compact blocks of text. Blame tthe overflow of information from today's days.

• No it's more like... if I am taught with slides (all math concepts) I get it pretty well.

If I'm given 25 pages of those math concepts... I'm like what the fuck

• Oh super duper. You are smart in your own way but studying 4 days before an exam is like everyone else.

• Of course! I'm kinda that way but I needed to ready my accounting tax books. There are just some laws and shit you need to know. I guess it's depending on what classes you take if you can get away with it or not.

• Are you in accounting? cool cool I ended up taking one of the tax courses... ah that was some intense stuff. Interesting but MAN there were so many laws and shit :)

• Yeah I am! Hahah there is! And the stupid thing is the IRS changes them every year! Yes!! And business law sucked lol

• There are many kinds of "smart".

• Can someone be 'book smart' even if they don't like readings?

I think it may also be about the *type of readings I am doing.

For example, I find econ readings to be fine. I am surprisingly sharp with them.

Give me some organizational behaviour readings and I'll be crying as to why i am doing them

• No even if it's not really memorization.

Like if someone gives me a 25-page article just to read over so we can discuss it in class tomorrow... I'd be like... fuck.

• @dreamer33 Being book smarts is about memorizing what's already been written. Not studying, and receiving pages to discuss is not about being smart. Even a smart person can be unprepared. Even I dislike having to sit still in a class.

• Yes, you most definitely can be smart without enjoying reading, and you probably are really smart. Though, for the life of me, I'll never understand how you could not love reading. It's the freaking best!

• yes, there are books that are read to you in mp3 format for your mp3 player or whatever. you can listen to it when you sleep, the knowledge will go in your brain.

• Knowledge is power. You can be smart but you spoil your smart mind if you leave it without knowledge.

• Is it really power? I forget everything anyways University is so theoretical

• Im not talking about schools or universities. When you only read books that your school teachers apply to you, you don't only get indoctrinated.
      And yes, it is power if you know how to use it.

• I like this word indoctrinated.

• of course.

• Haha obviously :p

• Yea literature is overrated...

I used to read text books, but I read them all...

What Girls Said 7

• Some one may think they are smart without liking reading because maybe other people already did it and published it.

• Yes, it's possible.

• yup thats me

• I guess so if you're smart as you say and hate reading...

• "Readings" hun, you need to read.

• You don't sound very smart lol

• Ew. You're that girl.

• Sure sure.

Like I'd trust a girl like you

• Haha you really do sound juvenile though

• Of course.