"Reality Is An illusion Taking Place Inside Our Brains And Nowhere Else" What do you think of this quote?

I cannot process this

Most Helpful Guy

• It is absolute rubbish. I studied the arts and humanities formally under this pretense and it is demonstrably false. It is absolutely obscene postmodernist idea born from the linguistic turn of the 60s and 70s. The concept arises from people like Michel Foucault and Naom Chomsky expanding Sausarian linguistic processes well beyond their utility, into science and politics (where they do not belong).

Some idiot academics took ideas concerning the best way to translate languages, (french, latin, greek, English, danish). The best way to translate, is to substitute one word for another, or phrase for another. So these idiot academics applied the techniques to every discipline.

It's built on the premise that language is arbitrary. So because, for example, the word 'stove' in English can be substituted for the word 'komfur' in Danish, they conclude that any political or scientific concept is equally as disposable and interchangeable because it's just words. Because, they say, it all pertains to an idiosyncratic concept of language we develop on our heads. But it's not true, because you can observe in the real world what will and won't happen. There are scientific laws determining what is possible. It's not just arbitrary 'words' telling a nonsensical story. the words are used to assess observable phenomenon in the REAL WORLD.

Elementary linguistics cannot be used to dissect politics and science. It's retarded. leave the ivory tower, leave Plato's cave you cultist academics!

(The more important debate is between nominal-ism and realism but that's a discussion for another day. )

Most Helpful Girl

• Someone who smokes too much weed came up with that.

What Guys Said 9

• I'm thinking there is a physical reality but some things may just happen inside of our brains. e. g. if two people put their hands in the water and a shark bites them... there is a physical reality that is occurring... they feel pain and a third person watches and can confirm, there is actual pain and physical reality.

They may all remember that later on and remember that pain and play it back in which case it isn't happening and in their mind and nowhere else.

So I'm not buying what was written, but... convince me!

• Well, there's no way to prove or disprove it. Technically speaking this is correct, as everything we perceive, our reality, is pretty much just our brain displaying data. Making a picture. Just like a computer or a TV displays sound and visuals by using data (in this case numerical) our brains do the same thing. Everything is just our brains impression of the data provided to it by the stimuli gathered by sensory receptors, like taste buds, nerve endings, optical nerves. So yes, correct. But I'm guessing this meant that in a broader way. That the universe is all a dream inside our heads. Well, it can't be disproven. Read some of Decartes work. He had a few things to say on the subject I believe, and it may lead you onto the work of others in similar vein. If this interests you enough that is. Anyway, that's enough from this faux intellectual.

• It speaks the truth. But he who won't listen, won't see.

• Please tell you don't actually believe this... ? Even if it is a lie, just say to it.

• @bcromartie Well I didn't take the time to read through the entirety of the added link. The quote itself matches a conclusion of mine, that's all. ^.^

• All is well with the universe again.

• Its incorrect. While reality can be influenced by perception and thus also can be distorted - there is still reality. 1+1 is still two. There is still a forrest. It still rains no matter how much you tell yourself that it doesn't.

• If this sentence is about dreaming, then I can agree with it

• When I lucid dream I can make whatever I want in this dreamworld, it's not rule, I could see it as an illusion. But it's my dream, and in my dream I can make it all a 'reality', and I'll need my brains to do that :p

• Please do OuO

• Message me in private, I'll tell you some of the things I created and did as a Lucid Dreamer
      Aaaand how I started to lucid dream

• No not true. Reality is what takes place inside of another person's brain and it's not the kind of brain that we like to think of.
    The illusion is that you think life is a reality when it's in fact God's playground.

• I am terrified at the responses to this question. They are all wrong. XD

• Reality is one person's perception of one's feelings and surroundings.

It is different to each person.

When you say you are going home and I say I am going home.
    Each of us goes to our home as we see it. We live in different places, yet it is "real" to both of us. No one is wrong.

Everyone's "reality" is always different from every other person's.

• It has some basic truth but It's bullshit cause it is taken out of context

What Girls Said 1

• ... The universe is a hologram buy gold bye!!!