Does white privilege exist?

I believe "white privilege" is racist. What's your opinion?

Most Helpful Guy

• Come on everyone lets celebrate our white privilege!

https://youtu.be/6TU50Bz3Ey0

In reality "white privilege" isn't really a thing anymore, blacks and every other race has exactly the same opportunities that we do here, same potential, same baseline intelligence, everything, but if they don't choose to go after and or work towards those opportunities and make something of themselves then that's not our fault.

And I did not benefit from "white privilege" at all neither has my family, our entire life has been pretty hard and at times really shitty. I mean you won't find very many kids these days who worked an actual job at age 10-12 like I did because it was about the only way I could actually make or get any kind of money. And I did the same workload as an adult but got payed practically nothing.

Most Helpful Girl

• It exist because white people think they can tell other races what they are and are not allowed to be offended by. Not to mention the way white people that are criminals are portrayed. A white guy walks into a church and shoots it up, killing several people, gets treated with Burger King. A black kid with a bag of skittles is shot and his murderer gets off scott free. I mean, come on, even that Stanford Athlete was given 6 months for raping a woman and they didn't even use his mugshot in any of the articles! They used a picture where the guy is smiling and looks all innocent when he ISN'T!

I mean, seriously, it completely exists.

What Guys Said 14

• It is racist and is not grounded in facts. If you look we have many laws that benefit minorities none that benefit whites. We routinely claim racism when minorities are arrested for crimes despite the fact that studies show a greater hesitation to do so or fear of being racist (cops are less likely to shoot an armed black suspect then they are a white or hispanic armed suspect) yet all statistical evidence shows a greater probability of violence and crimes within those communities. Their are many examples of this kind of thinking from safe zones in colleges that cater to every single group except for whites (and males) to student body unions (again with the exception of whites and males). Multiple laws that only benefit minorities would then prove that their is systemic privledges given towards minority groups thus completley disproving, empircally, the notion of white privledge.

• I have yet to reap the benefits for being merely white. =/

• i have never had privileges due to my skin color, if i did, i would capitalize on them.

• Do I benefit from white privilege in people treat me better than other races? No, not really, where I live luckily we're treated around the same, which is great.

But in being my race, am I above the poverty line that classically divides the races? Yes.

• It's a privilege like being born into a family with loads of wealth. Of course, being white is only a privilege because the other races give themselves a bad reputation.

• Nowhere near as much as nonwhite privilege.

• I acknowledge I've benefited from 'white privilege' in my life

• I think white privilege used to be a major problem in the U. S. but, it's a non-issue now. Everyone has equal rights under the law and there is a lot of affirmative action still going on so in some cases it's actually detrimental to be white

• White privilege is a myth perpetuated by those who hate White people. We just have the decency to not burn the whole city and riot when things get bad for us.

• White privilege doesn't exist anymore, because now a lot of whites have it just as hard. As for the racial term white privilege then thats just stupid, no race is better then another, they're all geeat races with great people

• Kind of but it;s really trivial pursuit to assess everyone;s privilege. You'd have to be pretty privileged to denounce other peoples advantages in life when you could be working on your own career. A lot of successful people have lived hard.

• It exists. Not much really to discuss.

• open your eyes, it exists everywhere in the west.

• It does not exist. Just a concept invented by political reactionaries to fill their bank accounts.

What Girls Said 8

• I think people have negative experiences no matter what their race, but it is true that minorities have a few more difficulties as a result of being who they are. I think people tend to confuse this as saying that white people don't have any problems, because of course they do. Everyone has problems. It also doesn't mean that you were given things on a silver platter, but it does mean that white people may not have the same experiences as a person of colour. I think people tend to think "Well I'm not racist" and assume that racism is not alive and well just because they haven't seen it with their own eyes, when racism is very much still alive. Just because not everyone witnesses it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

• depends how you see privilege like is there such a thing as a Jewish or Asian privilege or any other minority that does well through hardwork.

• I'm sure it does. In some settings more than others.

• That happens in South Africa

• It exists but it shouldn't be used as a term to make current innocent white people feel bad. It simply states how things are, probably as a means to explain why there are efforts to give minorities more chances.

• I believe it does exist.

• It absolutely exist, whether or not people want to admit it

• Yes, the fact that white people think they can determine what is offensive to another race or what is cultural appropriation shows that white privilege still exists.

• you speak of white people as if they are an institution.

• no i dont. i am an individual, if anything i am sick of people treating me as if i am an ambassador for all white people and i represent all of them. i dont, i am an individual, i am not part of any institution.

• @anonman32 now you know how Asians, blacks, and native Americans feel