Rate this Mythological Creature: The Kraken?

Described by the renowned naturalist Erik Pontoppidan, Bishop of Bergen, as 'the largest and most surprising of all the animal creation'. This was definitely not an exaggeration, for this immense beast was, or is, the largest animal of all time. Whether there is more then one Kraken, what is its gender, how long it lives and many other important questions remain unanswered, for the creature has not been sighted for more than a century.

Descriptions are sketchy, probably because the creature is too massive to make a proper observation (except from maybe the air), or because sailors who come across the Kraken are badly traumatized -- and rightly so! Although some accounts describe it as an enormous whale or turtle-like creature, the general consensus is that the Kraken is a tentacled, slimy monster up to 1 mile (1.6 km) in circumference.

On the very rare occasions that the Kraken makes its way to the surface from the ocean depths, it can easily mistaken for an island. Sailors of old would weigh anchor, 'go ashore' and light fires, which in turn would wake the slumbering titan at which point it would promptly submerge, creating in its wake an enormous whirlpool which sucked ship and crew down with it. Occasionally the kraken would drag down entire ships with its tentacles. The arms of the Kraken were said to be to reach as high as the top of a sailing ship's mast.

• 5/5 my favorite mythological creature
  • 4/5 i like it a lot
  • 3/5 meh they are ok
  • 2/5 i dont really like it
  • 1/5 i hate it
  • 0/5 worst mythological creature ever!
  • WTF is a Kraken?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 12

• 4/5 :)

• I like them a lot! 4/5 I think they're pretty awesome!
    They usually have their tentacles over a ship and drag it down under the water 😐 Pretty awesome lol

• Can you imagine the amount of food an animal of that size would need to consume in a day...

I really like the idea of the Kraken. :) Even if I dislike the Iron born :p

• Finalllyyyyy lol, I think it's so FREAKY and TERRIFYING! I love it, but would hate to ever meet it. I used to not take bath's/shower's as a kid cause I thought it would drag me into my tub's drain's below or fall from my shower head and attack me😨

• 0|0
  • i like it... cause its a big ass octopus ;)

• Yikes! 😫😱

• looks awesome and grandiose haha

• No no no. I don't like this one

• they are ok

• My 5 /5 is cthulhu

What Guys Said 10

• I think they're awesome. My favourite part are their eyes, something about them entrances me.

I don't think they're so bad or evil at all. My interpretation is that they feed on huge amounts of fish. Some legends say the waste product produced by this feeds smaller fish of no interest to the kraken, and it is this horde that fishermen seek to catch. This might provoke the kraken to attack, or the whirlpool made by its movement would endanger the ship.

• I certainly do love sea creatures. Not one of my favorites of all time, but definitely a fun classic.
    I really aught to get around to making an official list of my favorites... I'm guessing mostly half human, spirits, and of course dragons as #1!
    There's so many to choose from, though... Know where I could find a great list?

• One of my favorites also it's just waiting deep beneath the depths, hungry.

• 3/5 meh they are ok

• I dislike the kraken.

• come on dude that's real
    everyone should know that

• Mythological creatures are... Mythological.

• dude the biggest one they have found in this time on record is 17 meters
      that's like 50+ feet

supposedly people found a dead one on the beach that was 200 feet and it was supposedly a baby, and if you research it you hear about sightings like this all the time, its not a random thing

same thing with dinosaurs people still see dinosaurs, there's still sightings that a few still exist

• love it

• A creature 1 mile in circumference lol hahahaha

• Release the kraken

• I think this is a map on World of Warships. But only if you buy a prem ship...