Do you feel bad for this police officer?

>LT (Lieutenant) was in the area driving an unmarked vehicle and was dispatched to a code 3(emergency) drug call when things started to escalate.
>Plain clothes Officers responded by setting up a tactical perimeter around the vehicle and held the driver and passengers at gun point.
>LT rolled up on the left side of the vehicle and by default of his rank.. he took charge of all the verbal commands.
>LT sees a gun.. announces it and fires two rounds center mass. Suspect is still moving so LT assumed him to still be a threat therefore firing off 7 more rounds.
>That suspect he was shooting at was an undercover detective in their same division.

I'm not allowing anons on this question like I usually do because if you guys are going to attempt to make a comment on how he deserved to die because he was a cop you're going to have to hear it from me.

I think it's a shitty situation. The lieutenant was uninformed that an undercover officer was in that vehicle. The plain clothed officers that set up the original perimeter should of identified that he was in there before the lieutenant showed up. That was negligence on their part. The windows have dark tints and I believe on the report that I read that his face was not facing him but rather the right side attempting to move the gun. The undercover officer should've known better than to just be fidgeting a gun around on a felony code 3. The undercover officer lived but can obviously no longer work.. I'm sure this lieutenant was shamed by his whole department and had to move cities because he wouldn't be able to show his face there again. Friendly fire in law enforcement isn't taken lightly.. you shoot your own then you are hazed out and done with.

Opinions?

Most Helpful Girl

• All over a $60 drug bust? Also, I read the officer shooting never attended the briefing on the operation. According to the agency who did the report, he should've known where the undercover officer was sitting anyway, since he was in the backseat behind the driver's seat and that's standard procedure for them. The same cop shooting this time has shot a man before when he was leaving the house with his hands up.

I think he went in uninformed, got too involved without knowing the facts, and was too ready to shoot. I feel bad mostly for the cop who was shot. I also hope they exercise more caution in the future when it comes to making the decision to shoot, not just with undercover cops, but civilians too. I couldn't see whether the undercover cop was lifting up his gun or not, but just seeing a gun isn't enough reason to open fire (people do own and carry guns), and nine rounds sounds really excessive to me.

Most Helpful Guy

• Not everyone is cut out to be a police officer, it's a tough, dangerous, often thankless job that needs a very special kind of person to perform it properly. Unfortunately far to many unsuitable individuals end up in this profession and people lives are destroyed because of it. Maybe this was some kind of clerical error or something, mistakes like that do happen, but even so this guy seems to be FAR to trigger happy.

If the population looses trust in their police the rule of law will mean nothing. Just like a fireman puts his life on the line to save someone from a burning building so too do police need to have that kind of "higher code of ethics" they need to be an example of moral behavior to the population, if they can;t handle this then they need to get the boot and/or be held to the highest level of accountability.

What Girls Said 3

• The answer will always be no!

• The dude needs to give up being a cop if he's going to miss briefings like this and jump the gun into action. If they miss they briefing they shouldn't be allowed to go.

• Both made mistakes unfortunately

What Guys Said 8

• LMFAO,
    This isn't the first or most egrerious example of this I've heard of
    During The Troubles in Northern Ireland, military intelligence agents and plainclothes police once got into a shootout due to mistaken identity. Over 100 rounds were fired, and no one was hit.

• But no, I wouldn't feel sympathy for ANYONE, doing something that stupid.
      You don't fiddle with a gun in plainclothes on a felony call in front of uniformed cops.
      Thats just STUPID.
      I know a few cops and they are good people but the fact is that this guy made a very dumb move

• lol green text
    Its unfortunate but its not common. I feel like this officer should have remained in his dept. it was incredibly unfair to let him go. The undercover should have taken full responsibility.

• Lol why would I feel bad shoots twice, then another 7 lol gotta make sure. Also what's with them meme arrows.

• I used them as bullet points. He was shooting a 1911 and it sounded like a 9mm. If two rounds center mass didn't stop the threat and he still looks like he is reaching for the gun then he is still a threat. He didn't shoot to kill he shot to stop the threat.

• I have no idea what your talking about

• Lol I shouldn't be posting this on GAG. Wrong forum

• I feel bad for all of 'em.

• Very sad situation. I feel bad for everyone involved.

• too bad operation security.

• Did they have cameras in 1970 lol?

• Not while they continue to kill black people for no reason.