Why do a lot of older women cut their hair short?

• That's what I'd like to know!
  • It's because shorter styles are easier to maintain

Most Helpful Guy

• Their hair has less life than it used to. It often has a different texture.

That and... they don't care any more. Or 'they care' that they are not seen the same way they were when they're younger, and given that, don't bother trying to look as beautiful because they feel like it's a lost cause.

Young women get all the attention in the world (too much, and are bothered, understandably by it). And over a period of a decade, it drops away to almost nothing, and that's a bitter pill to swallow.

Most Helpful Girl

• many girls my age i know are cutting their hair even. lots of girls and women simply want a change or they aren't bothered taking time on their hair. i can understand it tbh, but for someone like me, the extra time is worth it. id look so bad with short hair. :(

What Guys Said 5

• I don't care how old we are I'd still want my furture partner/wife to keep long hair. However yes I've wondered the same thing. My grandma still has long hair.

• I am just curious... what is it about long hair. My boyfriend wants my hair long... so did my ex husband. What do you like about it?

• That's what my boyfriend says. Also women my age with short hair look older... in his opinion.

• @Rissyanne I genuinly don't even like girls at my age with short hair, probably your boyfriend has same preference as me regarding hair. Women at any age will look better with long hair.

• easier to take care of. which is important at a higher age

• I don't know but I hate it. I think long, healthy hair is so beautiful on any age women

• ask my mom, she prefers it.

• It's because they lose hair (density) and they can't keep getting that long hair anymore but they don't go fully bald anyway. I don't belive in 'I got tired of long hair because of maintenance' as many claim. At some age women produce more androgen (masculine hormone) levels to the point that their estrogen/androgen ratio is balanced. In younger women androgens are a pittance compared to estrogens (feminine hormones). This fact, hormonal balance, affects your hair somehow.
    That's why I don't like short hair in women, they look less feminine.

What Girls Said 13

• I keep my hair short. Easier to deal with and it just looks nicer.

Im growing it out though for one of the 'be brave and shave' appeals. For charity. Gonna cut it back down with maybe a number two razor attachment.

I usually use a number five.

• I think it's because when you're old your hair isn't healthy as it was when you were young. My grandmother has short hair and she looks younger with it. it's like I don't know how to explain it, I guess the just like it better that way and it makes them feel more mature or something.

• I wonder the same thing. I am fifty and my hair is past my shoulders. (it has grown out more than my pic) Just about all my friends my age has short hair. Also I dont know why they let it go gray. In my opinion... short gray hair on a woman makes her look a lot older. I keep my hair styled... I can't color my hair because the color dries out my hair to much. But I do lighten it with hair lightener. I think they just give up and go with something easy to maintain.

• It's a lot easier to maintain shorter hair. Long hair is hard work!

• Both my grandmas have long hair ( mid back) I will keep my hair long as-well.

• likely because they start loosing hair

• As you age, your hair loses its lustre due to reduced collagen production, so you end up with dry and damaged hair. It's easier to control damage when your hair is short.

• Probably that's easy to take care of and they are lazy.

• They might just want a change

• short hair takes less time to deal with

• Because they think it makes them look younger...

• Older women get up in the morning at 6 o'clock, they have to make breakfast for the entire family then pack lunches then take a quick shower and they're off to their own jobs. Girls 18 and under have the time to spend two hours in front of the mirror with a half hour devoted to each eyelash. I'm 25 years old I don't know how the 20 got on my site. When I was 16 my life was devoted to manicuring my nails. Now I'm in graduate school and I have enough time to urinate and that's about it

• lol was just wondering that

i voted B

i guess you get tired of long hair and all the maintenance that comes with it? or maybe its a psychological thing you know?