Do you agree with this quote by Teddy Roosevelt: "The birthpangs make all men debtors of all women"?

I agree with him. This is why I think that women should have some extra privileges in society.

• yes, the birthpangs make all men debtors of all women
  • men are only indebted to the women who give birth to their own children, not all women
  • no
  • Women are indebted to men
2/3 of the men don't even think that men are indebted to the mothers of the children. WTF? You think you deserve equal rights to your biological children without giving SOMETHING in compensation for all that the mother did to gestate and birth the child?

And you call US entitled.
Anyone?

Most Helpful Guy

• All men owe women. In so, so many ways.

Women: Take the lead. If you're waiting on men to give up control then you'll be waiting for a long, long time. It's time to reclaim your true position.

What Guys Said 15

• That total makes the abuse from my biological mother ok. I totally shouldn't be salty about the mental scars and the scars on my left arm.

• Of course it doesn't make the abuse okay

• The implication of those words appear to be that if you are a woman that given birth you instantly deserve extra privileges. That what happens after that birth doesn't matter.

The thought that society owes my mother extra privileges makes me want to vomit. If you spent a few days with her you would likely agree. I had it bad but there are many worse mother out there.

Good mothers should have extra privileges simply because they have earned it.

• At least stand by your opinion @mistixs.

• No, not at all. The woman DECIDES to get pregnant, unless she's raped, in that situation she can have an abortion. You don't get privileges because you're born with a vagina, that's called sexism

• Don't misuse my hero for your nonsense agendas..

• what you are talking about is debt slavery. i am not a slave, and i am indebted to one. i reject this.

• so in that case we all are debtors of "men" who fight in the war...
    Both genders play their roles. None is debtors of others.

• 81% of women give birth. How many men go to war?

• So you want handouts simply because you have a vagina?

And here I was trying to believe women these days couldn't get any more entitled

I hold a shred of optimism though, so I'll call this a troll

• If I believed that they deserve equal rights than I couldn't see myself as indebted, that wouldn't be equality.

• No, especially in western society where birthpangs are a choice with things like epidurals

• Or other painkillers

• No, the parents should pay society for contributing to overpopulation is ANYONE would pay

• And thats especially dumb if they are married considering in the U. S anything that is owned by one is owned by the other in most cases

• You know the woman did not make the children alone she made kids with the help of Men by this logic no one has to pay nothing.

• So let's say a man and a woman both work on the blueprints for a house, but after that, the man builds the entire house all by himself. Should both the man and woman get the same amount of credit for their work?

Yes men are necessary but it's women who go through all the pain and agony.

Perhaps men should pay women for having to go through the gestation process to give birth to men's children

• Yea but I still don't understand, if the woman choose to make kids with this man that means she wants to have a family with him and why would the man have to pay the woman for going through the gestation if they are a family

I understand the woman goes through incredibly huge pains but they are a family they share their whole life together (or at least thats how the marriage should be).

I don't know how things between couples work in your country but in Greece (the country I live in) and Romania (my origin) a married couple share the same money (familys money) they don't have each a different amount of money, and if in my countries the men will have to pay the women it won't change nothing because they share the same money.

• No we are an equil westertn societies must ensure true equality

women should not get a hand up they gotta work like the rest of us guys since this is what they wanted

thank you feminisim :P

• In some cultures, when a woman is in labor, she ties a rope around the father's testicles and yanks on it whenever she feels a contraction, so that he can feel some of the pain.

Men shouldn't get a hand up, right? They gotta work, just like the women? In order to ensure true equality, men should have to endure birthpangs like women, in order to obtain equal rights over their biological children?

• No, a woman's not doing that to you? Oh, so you only want equality when it benefits you, huh? You want to have your cake and eat it too?

• yes im wuv my cake can i est have cake now pweez :P

• You know he only said that to make sure he got laid that night, right?

• Only to my mother.

• That's a stupid quote.

• How so?

• having a job is a choice but people still get paid for it

• Having a job isn't really a choice. A person has to have a job. Their choice is choosing which job they will have.

• How about not doing the laborious, dangerous jobs? Oh wait...

• Most men don't do those jobs either. But 81% of women give birth

• Source?

• Isn't it obvious?
      Yeah, they had cushy office jobs hundreds of years ago, didn't they? My bad.

What Girls Said 4

• No. Both genders are needed for procreation and it just happens to be women who give birth and yet those women themselves would not exist if not for a man, and so on goes the cycle. Neither gender should be given privileges above the other because both experience unique challenges to their gender and it's pointless arguing which challenges are worse. An attitude like yours is what creates chaos and harm, not giving privileges to one specific gender. I'm a woman who has given birth and I don't think women as a gender should be valued more than men, we each provide and excel in our own ways.

Yes men are necessary but it's women who go through all the pain and agony

• They should both get credit for what they contributed to the project, and I think it's quite ridiculous that you didn't figure that out on your own. As I said, we each have skills and excel in different ways, but trying to give privileges to one gender above the other its just stupid. People need to start becoming more aware that we need to acknowledge and appreciate what different things men and women both have to offer, and focus on how we can combine our skills to work together, instead of having petty arguments about who should get privileges. When are people going to wise-up, having any imbalance in rights and privileges only creates hostility, divide and oppression.

• No, I don't. I mean, props to women who get through difficult births, but it's not grounds for special privileges in society.

• I was obviously born from a woman, so I'm in debt of her as well. Now a days feminism is just a joke, it doesn't represent me!

• Maybe they're indebted to their mothers and mother of their children specifically, but not women in general. (Just as women are indebted to their parents and partners for the sacrifices they make, if they're decent at it).