How to stop feeling so inadequete?

I've always been secure overall. I've always been popular, well liked, always told by everyone that I'm smart and polite with a wonderful personality. But this particular year has been tough. I'm making that awkward teen transition into adulthood. My girl friends get compliments on their beauty and get noticed and pursued by guys. I would like that but I don't get it. I feel inadequete. When I look at myself in the mirror I feel fine, but then I go around people and feel like I don't add up.

One scary thing I've noticed is that I've started looking for approval from guys. I never used to. But now I was just want attention from guys, any guy, even guys I'm not attracted to, so I can feel more adequete. I feel like guys don't care that I'm funnier or smarter or nicer than my other friends, that they just want me to look a certain way and act a certain way, and the less I fit that standard of looking or acting, the more inadequete I feel.

Any idea what I can do about this?

What Guys Said 1

• When you happen to produce an unusually large stool in the morning, go ahead and snap a pic of it and post it on your Facebook page. You'll see your self-esteem improve immeasurably!

What Girls Said 2

• Normal to feel jealous as a teen : one of the growing pains

• Become a statue