Rate this Mythological creature: The Wendigo?

In Algonquian folklore, the wendigo or windigo is a cannibal monster or evil spirit native to the northern forests of the Atlantic Coast and Great Lakes Region of both the United States and Canada. The wendigo may appear as a monster with some characteristics of a human, or as a spirit who has possessed a human being and made them become monstrous. It is historically associated with cannibalism, murder, insatiable greed, and the cultural taboos against such behaviours. The legend lends its name to the disputed modern medical term Wendigo psychosis, which is considered by psychiatrists to be a form of culture-bound syndrome with symptoms such as an intense craving for human flesh and a fear of becoming a cannibal. In some Indigenous communities, environmental destruction and insatiable greed are also seen as a manifestation of Windigo Psychosis.

• 5/5 my favorite mythological creature
  • 4/5 i like it a lot
  • 3/5 meh it's ok
  • 2/5 I don't really like it
  • 1/5 i hate it
  • 0/5 worst mythological creature ever
  • Wtf is a Windigo?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• It was said to have blackened hands and feet and usually missing fingers as it was the embodiment of survival canabilism, that is when one is low on food during the harsh winters and eventually resort to canabalism resulting in it looking like a person who was starved and/or killed by hypothermia. They say that it grows stronger as it eats yet each person it devours makes it hungrier so that they are never satiated always craving more and more human flesh even as they grow stronger and stronger from its consumption. Its speed however was what made it so dangerous being able to strike and kill before most can react, usually taunting the person for long periods of time before finally killing and subsequently eating them. Supposedly the most effective way of killing one is by shattering its heart of ice and then burning the body so it doesn't come back. 5/5 good pick.

What Girls Said 5

• my dream bf! lol!

• 4/5.

• It's creepy af. Those first two pictures are the things of nightmares.

• That one always seems creepy.

• I hate it but the creature is not at fault

What Guys Said 8

• 1/5

Here's one I remembered being on SuperNatural:

www.supernaturalwiki.com/images/d/df/Wendigo2.jpg

They are vulnerable to fire and flame, and was killed with a Flare gun on that TV Show.

• Ugh I hate this thing /= you know for all the scary pictures the wendigo actually is real but it's not some scary supernatural creature but rather humans that become crazy, mutilate themselves wear bones and other stuff, and eat the flesh oh other people and the more they eat the more hungry they get the craving can never actually be satisfied /=.

There are actually several documented cases of it to.

• If you like the Wendigo, you should watch the movie "Ravenous", which deals with the concept as its central premise. It's my favourite horror movie.

• Ravenous has several problems, for one it takes place in the southwest when Wendigos are not found in the lore of any of the tribes native to that region. The only thing that is even kinda comparable would be a skinwalker.
      Second, Its author tract about vegetarianism

• Essentially, the town has been constantly on fire underground since the sixties and experts say that there is enough coal under there to keep it burning for a thousand years

• @Waffles731 I've heard about those fires. I didn't realise that's what Silent Hill was based on. Interesting!

• I fucking love these things,
    what is not to love about a cannibalistic American indian demoninc entity that used to be human
    5/5

• 3/5 meh it's ok

• Wow. Never heard of it. Scary. lol

• I like the yeti better

• Nice