Are fit people generally viewed as shallow?

do you belive that most people who are into fitness and/or healthy eating and exercises are viewed as shallow?

From personal experience i get comments about the way i eat or the amount of exercises I do. Those comments normally are in the nature " are you getting you bikinibody ready?", or some sort of comment/question that implies the only reason that i work out is to look a certain way. People even ask me why i eat healthy, like its not common sense to not eat junk food lol

Since non of my friends, like ever, have or is interested in working out and eating healthy I only have my own experiences to use as an example. It seems to be hard for people (that i assume dont work out) to belive that people can work out and eat healthy because they like it.

I really enjoy the feeling of getting faster, or stronger or felling that my endurance increasing. Cooking is something i also really enjoy, and i love making healthy homemade foods for myself and friends. Junk food or processed foods just doesn't taste good to me. I dont exclude anything (that i like) from my diet, i just make an effort not to eat things like chocolate or restaurant pizza on a regular basis.
'
Some people absolutly do it most, if not only, for how it makes them look, but not everyone who us above average fit does it because they want a six-pack or a firm butt.

Whats your view on this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Are they VIEWED as shallow? Yes.
    Are they all shallow? Not at all, but they do tend to want a partner with a similar love for fitness as them, and many will consider this shallow, because if you don't think fat is beautiful, then apparently, you're shallow.

Most Helpful Girl

• Here's the way I see it: taking care of your body is important because it carries your brain around. Your brain is you. You can't be brilliant or funny or charming or anything else if your body is falling apart.

However, if all you do is work out, then you can't take care of your brain. You're not going to be spending time learning new things or meeting new people if all you ever do is go to the gym for three hours a night. If all you ever talk about is your fitness and how you can only eat certain foods, you're not going to be a very interesting person. You might even come off as vain because you have nothing else to talk about but yourself. There's more to life than just exercise and fitness.

I think it's all about balance. You need to take care of your body and I will encourage anyone who wants to do so. You also need to take care of your brain.

• How is gaining muscle taking care of brain? Gaining muscle means being able to lift more weight. Is that taking care of brain? Besides people do a lot of things harmful but the point of gaining muscle is for looks. I know a lot of people who go to gym smoke cigarettes. Eating healty food is not for health but to have lean muscle body by lifting weight.

• I've read most of it.

• @Vivaldi well, read all of it or get out of my thread.

What Guys Said 44

• Having personally gone from 6'2 324 lbs to 6'7 240 lbs I've got a view from both sides. Fit people are more likely to be shallow the younger they are. Its easy to be shallow and sucumb to peer pressure and expectations when you're young and remain fit out of fear of exclusion from something or other.

Many people get fit for shallow reasons or due to feelings of inferiority at a young age. The second one describes me. But the thing is that actually getting fit... Generally you can't really do it just to fit in, it's gotta be something you really want. So if you succeed, regardless of your original reasons for doing so you will learn the value of effort and hard work and come to respect people that put those things in in any area, that right there works against shallowness.

Shallowness itself is a focus on metrics, measuring up to set markers regardless of input or circumstance. So if you believe that only final outcomes are to be considered... Then you are shallow. If you believe that the only final outcomes and measures that matter are the ones most people agree on... Then you are shallow as well. Young fit people are often shallow because many of them PUT IN NO EFFORT TO BE FIT or PUT IN EXTREME EFFORT DUE TO FEELINGS OF INFERRIORITY AND PUT DOWN OTHERS TO ASSERT THEIR PLACE OF POWER SND DONINANCE. Older fit people generally don't care about that... Older fit people... Even just out of college, are generally playing for their own personal high score and couldn't care less about what others do. Thats not shallow, it's intrinsic motivation.

In conclusion fit people aren't shallow in
    General, but people hyperfocused in fitting in and asserting their place within the social hierarchy are. That said... You can want to assert a place in a social hierarchy and not be shallow, so long as you understand that not everyone has your same goals and as such should not be judged by the list of criteria which you judge yourself by. For instance, should a person who wants to be a cook be judged entirely by how much they suck at basketball?

• Viewed as shallow yes
    Actually shallow not necessarily, depends on the guy

• i think it feels good to work out and to see your body transform and to look good feels great also, if people think you are shallow for that than that is just their weakness, if they can't deal with you looking better and better then fuck em.

• I don't think it's shallow. Iam a fit guy and I would want my partner to be as fit as I am. Not because I am shallow but because of I am prioritizing my health and fitness then you should too. I want her to be similar to me in terms of body.

• I don't really think what people view fit people as, I like being fit and I have nothing against those that are obese except that they may be screwing their own health up

• im really ugly and im shallow. there you go

pizza by day burrito by night

• please come to Canada and be my friend :).

You had me at "i love making healthy homemade food for myself and friends", I LOVE food, and i love girls who workout because they enjoy it and like getting stronger

• No. A lot of it is jealousy. Often unfit and out of shape people might be jealous of fit people because they have the health and the bodies they want. Confidence usually comes with being fit so some people might confuse it with arrogance.

• Probably but that doesn't make us shallow, being viewed as something and actually being that way are two different things.

But in my opinion let em make assumptions while they are over there viewing me as shallow I'll be getting bigger, faster, stronger and healthier.

• You can become obssessed with yourself and become as shallow as a puddle. As thick as shit too. It erodes the personality vanity and the principles and everything else mentally. I think it leads to mental health disorders too. Yourr bascially introverting yourself, worrying about how you present yourself all the time instead of worrying about whats around you. I think its behind people being gay as well. The brains is all powerful and vanity twists it. Thats why a lot of women are so dumb. Too much mirror time. It even warns against it in the bible.

• are you freaking kidding me? I couldn't believe that you just said that! What if you are a guy who care about your body, and you want to be fit and healthy, and good looking, so you started to workout and eat clean, and started to care about your hair and style..., (and you still know how to balance your life). But then people jump in and started to say that you are shallow just because you want to take care of yourself real good, how would you feel about
      that?

• ok, what the hell are you talking about? it have nothing related to what i just said. What i mean is we are not the same, and you shoudn't judge anybody base on how they look, end of story.

• @rachel1112 jesus its hard to get you to follow anything isn't it. That was pertinent to the point. People judge coz they see their faults in others. Your starting to make my argumemt for me

• I think that you're right. I know how terrible it is to be fat and I workout and don't eat junk food often because I know it's best way to live. If people like us are viewed as shallow our society has a huge problem or they just envy us.

• At first glance some may think I'm shallow, until I open my mouth and say hi.
    I think it's the way I dress mostly (Suit & Tie) that puts them off. The irony is I'm very laid back with anyone despite what I do.

Fit or not I love Pizza #PizzaForLife

• Not all of them but many fitness freaks are obsessed with looks.

• I am not I have confidence and at times I am cocky

• no i don´t think so. what´s wrong in pursuing your hobby (sport) or the desire to be healthy or the desire to look good? that´s not superficial, it´s only one of many aspects to a persons character and you might not even have the same standards for other people.

• Well I think its obvious. Looking good isn't enough for some people such as yourself and ironically the people that you talk to that think the only reason to do something of that sort for looks aren't staying in shape themselves.

I suppose its a good thing you asked for opinions here because maybe people that aren't fit can't understand things from your perspective.

• Only people who would not put effort to work on themselves (physically or mentally) see fit people as shallow.

I admire people who are willing to work on their body and mind.

• I think the assumption is based on the fact that most people are willing to put in effort into working out only in order to look a certain way, although I do think your viewpoint is the healthier one.

• well i hope not i mean im a work in progress still but compaired to the average populaton im genreally considered fit and healthy and look pretty young for my age to :)

I dont fluant it or antyhing im just comfertable with who i am, fitness helps me with that :D

• If they are too fit, then possibly. Like bodybuilders who have an outrageous amount of muscle. It may be unfair, but that's how they are likely viewed. I'd say other fit people who don't flaunt their fitness aren't viewed as shallow.

• They might be , they might be not. What others think about you, is none of your damn business.

• fit people are stereotypical and nasty. I was with someone who is all into sushi and health foods, she seen an obese person and was going off on them. I'm sorry. are you God? did you create life? No?

• What? Who said anything about obese people, god or creating life? Lol

• my friend who I was with was laughing at someone who was about 200 lbs. saying "How can they get to that weight.. whats wrong with them.." etc. Fat Shaming

• well, but it's your friend who did that, not this innocent asker ! And not everybody is the same.

• I think a little bit. I think many people try to compensate for the fact they may not have the will power to do something that takes time and effort and is not easy. Not just fitness but anything. Fitness is just visual so its easiest to criticize for some. Most people want the low fruit easy and spoon fed.

• I don't think so... I personally don't think they and no one I've spoken to has ever said anything that makes me think they do

• Only those who are clearly cocky. Pretty much as those who are cocky about being smart, or wise or whatever else.
    I don't generalize people, there is a vast difference between having silent self-esteem and bragging about your own qualities.

• Yes. It's the stereotype

• By fat and unhealthy people? Sure. Who cares?

• I smoke cigarettes and drink too much coffee. Who cares about health?

• Also I dont give a damn about living very long. I am not thinking of living until I am an old person.

• @Vivaldi

Skill in a fight matters of course, but so does strength. That's why we have weight classes in combat sports. Of course there are big guys who can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag and small guys who can bang like Mike Tyson, but those small guys are strong for their size.

• I'm shallow af op

• Naw, us normal folks are just jelly of peeps like @consultantisback, obvz.

• Yeah all I've come across are.

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 21

• As a fairly fit person myself, I wouldn't think of myself as any more shallow than your average joe. Sure, just like any other person, I love looking better. Btu what people have to realize is that being fit, or regularly exercising and being overall healthier, makes you FEEL a billion times better. My self confidence has never been higher. Exercise is a great way to deal with stress, insecurities (mentally), anxiety, etc..

Am I and other people who are on the fit side viewed as more shallow, though? Yeah, sure. Usually by people who are not so in shape and kind of need a scapegoat to help themselves feel better about not having as much luck (more like not having the will to put quite as much time, sweat, and sore muscles) with their own weight loss journey. By calling fit people 'shallow', they are able to compensate for their own insecurities or not having as much drive to actually put in the work to get their fitness levels up to equally high levels.

• I wouldn't call them shallow, but typically they prefer other fit people. Which there's absolutely nothing wrong with!

I agree that most people seem to have the belief that others work out solely for their appearance. I recently took up running (and promptly stopped when I injured myself 10 days later lol) and it was because I wanted to start doing 5ks for charity with some relatives who are experienced runners. Weight loss would have been a welcome side effect, but it wasn't my primary motivation.

• It seems you are answering your own question. Do you work out? Do you eat healthy? Are you shallow? If not, then you can assume you are not alone in your beliefs. If that's not clear then some people who work out are shallow. Some people who don't are shallow. For the most part, those who work out (I believe) are just trying to better themselves. I work out, enjoy eating natural foods lots of veggies, low fat, low sodium, low sugar, high fiber, lean protein. As with many people, that can be for s variety of reasons. Including health and appearance.

• A lot are seen as shallow. Instagram has a lot of people on it who are really into fitness but mostly for the aesthetics that comes with it. A lot focus their energy and cameras on their buttocks, which is why you may be facing some comments that may not fit you. Whatever you do, just don't let it bother you. People will have different reasons for doing similar or the same activities as other people. I'm not marathon fit, but I do love working out because of the feeling I get when I do and I also like how I look aesthetically, I don't post my figure online or anything. If I'm asked a question I either ignore it or answer it, I don't like stress which is why I don't argue with people who place labels I don't fit upon me. It's a waste of time, energy and money.

• People who are obsessed with their bodies in terms of appearance tend to be shallow, but people who are super into a healthy lifestyle aren't necessarily.. a lot of people just like to take the best care of their bodies that they can. Nothing shallow about that. But if your goals are purely appearance based that's a pretty solid indication of shallowness.

• There's nothing shallow with wanting a partner that is fit as you. A similar partner

• @Xseed ok... this question was about whether really fit people are shallow...

• And I replied no. Thwyre not shallow if they want a partner that's also fit and similar to them. Being fit makes you more attractive physically, so it makes sense for fit people to pursue fit partners

• I think they're generally viewed as shallow by people who have some sort of jealousy issue going on. There's nothing wrong with being healthy, and perhaps you embody the goals they might have set for themselves but never achieved. I'm certainly not athletic, nor do I eat super healthy but I think people who make their health a priority are certainly admirable. When I'm able to afford such a lifestyle I too would like to become more active and make some changes to my diet.

• Mostly yes. Because Arceus forbid anyone who isn't on the verge of obesity actually care about their health or even looks.

• I don't see it that way. I see them as smart!

• I think people who are jealous of them will view them as such, when they literally just take care of their bodies.

• I think fit people are envied by those who are not the same. I used to think fit people were judgmental jerks until I started going to the gym myself, and now I noticed people start thinking the same of me. I'm not even fit yet. But the gym and lifestyle change has a stigma to it that isn't true.

• No, but if they're constantly taking selfies of themselves, pictures of their food, their lifestyle and are overposting it to the world, and also act as if their fitness is the only part of their life, then I do think of those individuals as shallow. Worse if they're constantly pressuring you to go to the gym and try to live their lifestyles because they think it's better than yours

• Yeah, because a lot of people who are into fitness are shallow. You'll literally go to the gym and see dudes admiring their physiques in the mirror haha. But it's okay, shallow isn't always bad unless the person uses it to make others feel bad or something. I agree though there are some people who are all about the health aspect and are less fixated on being as hot as possible. Good for you, glad you are healthy and happy.

• nope, I think they're incredible to choose healthy lifestyle.
    but when they want to stay fit, just don't tells everyone about how much calories in their food during eating, it's totally turned off and annoying. Coz mostly people tends to do that with other, we get it you love to be healthy, but please act normal in front of others, thats all

• No not really but they seem to talk bad about fat people easily

• i sure hope so! thts what i've been trying to project lately

• No just a because someone cares about how they look and how to stay healthy doesn't mean they're shallow

• In my life, fit people are viewed as "situation normal" :P

• A few I have seen had big ego

• We are confident in are selves and body

• unfortunately yes, thats pretty accurate. but its not true at all

• noes, just a stereotype then