Do you think I did the wrong thing by saying women should be hit back?

I have expressed my opinion that i think if a woman hits a man, then she should expect retaliation because that is part of human instincts, self defense. I think it would be her own fault if she gets hurt in such a case as she is responsible for her own actions and can only blame herself and no one else since she is an adult, as she shouldn't be hitting the man anyway. I got really harsh feedback for that and got called several names in my college. Like what the hell? i am not going to be seeing these people for no more than 2 weeks, but i don't know, i think those who say otherwise are prejudiced and biased and ignorant because i think everyone should be treated on a individual basis when it gets to these type of things, as every man will feel differently and have different needs. I think that is pure sexism in my opinion.

What do you think? be honest. I don't mind being judged.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Women should be hit back if they're happy to dish out violence. Many agree with you.

What Girls Said 11

• I understand defending yourself - if you're being attacked the attacker should expect retaliation, regardless of gender. Lately, it seems like some guys relish in the idea of hitting women itself, though. Like a kid salivating over being allowed to take two cookies out of the jar instead of one. I see some using "equal rights" as an excuse for their enthusiasm towards hurting people. That trend I find a little disturbing.

• I hate generalizations, i think everyone should be treated individually.

• I agree on treating each person as an individual, but a little generalizing is needed to talk about groups of people in any meaningful way.

• I agree with you to a certain extent. Personally, neither have the right to put their hands on each other during an altercation. I do believe a man has a right to defend himself, and I also believe that women can hurt men when the choose to be violent. My only problem with the whole thing is that (in most cases), men are stronger than women and may have the potential to do more damage.
    What truly bothers me about the bias involved in this situation is how even when a man holds a woman by the upper arms to keep her from attacking him, HE is the one that gets locked up.
    Until we can change how people view domestic violence in the first place, our opinions don't matter. There are two types of domestic violence: 1) a heated argument that goes to far 2) a partner gets home from work after a nasty day and takes it out on the other because their smile was too big.

• Do they get locked up for that? i didn't know that. Although the strength difference is obvious, i really see it as the assailant deserves to be taught a lesson.

• Nope, he wouldn't press charges.

• While I believe in eye for an eye, the law does not, that's kind of the problem.

If a girl slaps you, yeah, I think she technically deserves to get slapped back, but you just don't do it, because then you're both committing a crime. Self-defense is only implicated if she's continuously assaulting you, so a single slap doesn't prompt the need for you to defend yourself. It would serve her right to get slapped back, but again, from a legal standpoint, it isn't worth it.

• I really don't like that idea if I hit a guy as hard as I could it might leave a black and blue mark depending on where I hit him but if I gut hit me back as hard as he could, I could be killed. If a girl hits you, you probably deserved it, but if you didn't there's probably something wrong with her and your best bet would be use your strength to prevent her from continuing to hit.

• If a guy would hit ANYONE as hard as he wanted he could kill them, it doesn't just go for women. Everyone needs to be treated individually according to their needs whether they are a man or a woman, if she hits him and he hits her back then really she can only blame herself if she gets hurt, most people would hit you back because that's human instinct and would want you to go away. You can't judge a person in such situation, but it all depends on the person. Also, there is a huge difference between hurting someone in self defense and intentionally, i don't see a reason why such violent women need to be protected, and i don't think much of men who protect these women, it's their own fault in my opinion, it shows how much prejudiced they are and biased.

"If a girl hits you, you probably deserved it" well that was the most sexist comment i have seen so far.

• Sexist much yourself "honey"?

• How is "honey" sexist? because i wouldn't say it to a man? well it all depends on the situation.

• while i understand what you are saying. Men are stronger than women , their is no arguing that its biology. unless she is a trained fighter and buff , you are stronger than her. I find it interesting though that men who think like that wouldn't fight a man they somehow become " lovers not fighters" when it comes to a man wanting to fight them.

• I don't think strength matters here, if she attacks him knowing that he is stronger than her then really it's her own fault if she gets hurt, that is my personal opinion. Also, not all men are of equal strength, so by that logic the stronger man would be just as much as to blame.

• Why does it matter to you if the person is a man or a woman? they really would be in the same situation and unable to defended themselves and would obviously be hurt. So WHY does it matter? gender is irrelevant here in my opinion that is why i said it depends on the PERSON

• Therefore I think your view is very sexist here, especially since "biology" is very flawed in this context. If we take biology into the account, it would be ok for men to cheat on women because they have higher sex drive and need lots of sex with different woman by BIOLOGY. It is very flawed.

• Smonth answer? Ask her if she wants equal rights, or if she wants to be protected because she's a woman.

• People shouldn't be hitting each other period. I don't care if you are a man, woman or child. That shit is not okay. If you can't think of a way to resolve a problem peacefully, then you have no business being around other people.

• If you give it out be prepared to take it back

• It's all about how it's expressed, to me.

Retaliation and self defense are two different things. I think people should try to focus on stopping the attack, not getting even. That can include a lot of methods, with beating the hell out of someone rarely being the best one.

And yeah, I've been punched in the face.

• It's not wrong but I don't feel it's right either. It's just how you feel.

In my opinion, if you are fearing for your life you shouldn't hit back. If they pose a threat then by all means do what you have to to get away. But I think violence begets violence and series no purpose then to stroke your own ego. in my opinion 2 wrongs don't make a right. Show you are supeor and walk away. This goes for anyone.

• No. If a person can give it out, they have to prepared to take it.

Women aren't the fragile, defenceless beings men in the dark ages once thought we were.

What Guys Said 9

• I say that it doesn't matter what gender your attacker is. If they are trying to hurt you then you have the right to defend yourself and do something to prevent the attacker from doing it again until the police arrive. That's what I was taught and that's what I follow. Makes sense to me. Being a woman does not give her any right to attack a man. If she does then he has the right to defend himself and stop her from attacking again.

• I think you're far too kind, and perhaps a bit of a lard head as well. Given the bitter and pugnacious attitude displayed by the preponderance of women these days, I've taken to beating women senseless upon sight, as a presumptive measure.

• Nobody is entitled to attack others and expect them to just take it. Punch someone, and you should expect to be punched in return.

To say women should get a free pass for violence would be blatantly sexist.

• ANYONE who hits someone should expect to be hit back in self defense. You made the mistake of saying it at college which will naturally be full of feminists and Tumblrinas convinced of their own bullshit and out to rid the world of oppressors.

• My college class is full of GUYS. I didn't expect such shunning. Now i am the "woman beater".

• Oh man, so you're surrounded by SJWs and white knights? You poor fucker. They are hoping to make themselves look more appealing because they're so sweet and nonthreatening.

• if she attacks you then you gotta defend yourself. if you would not want to defend yourself BECAUSE she is a woman then thats sexism bro.

• I agree, but I say keep your voicing of your opinions low. This society obviously isn't ready for equality yet.

• When a woman hits a man for what could be a justified reason, he deserved it.

When a man hits a woman for what should be that same justified reason, violence isn't the answer. He shouldn't be hitting anyone

• Why is that? he shouldn't even hit a man?

• I am pretty sure it depends on the woman and the man, everyone is different and has different needs, you can't just generalize genders like that, i think that is very close minded from you. That's my opinion.

• That's how society treats it

• Self defense no.

• women want gender equality right, so they can be hit back. As soon as they hit you they have broken the physical barrier. Im still against violence but im for equality