What's it mean to be smart in this day and age?

What do you need to know?
And what don't you?

Most Helpful Girl

• To me, "smart" means...

• Being able to apprehend the world with a sharp eye, both for details and for larger patterns

• Problem spotting & problem solving

• Being able to see things from a diversity of different angles (including, but not limited to, empathy)

• Reading people's feelings, intentions, inhibitions, priorities, and core values from brief interactions with them

• Being able to get along well with many different kinds of people -- and being able to get those people on board with one's goals, even when their personalities aren't necessarily "highly compatible"

• Being able to examine and change faulty assumptions in one's thinking

• Being able to look objectively at what one is doing and see what's working and what isn't, and efficiently change the things that aren't working

Those are the first few things that come to mind.

• I love how all your energy and insight eventually converges to form... motherliness and protectiveness.

Energy and a young-at-heart spirit hitched to responsibility and maturity. You're a model to follow.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hard to say.

Like, someone who specializes in Mathematics would most likely crush a Forensic Scientist when it comes to logistics, but the Forensic Scientist would crush the Mathematician in observation and deductive reasoning, yet both would most likely loose to a philosophical debate with a Monk.

There's different types of intelligence, but I suppose just how far you've traveled on your perspective road, I suppose that's the closest we can get to giving it some form of measurement and the label of "smart," at least in the respective fields the person displays.

What Girls Said 6

• imho, educated =/= intelligent.
    book smarts don't always translate into street smarts, and vice versa.

in order to be smart:

-keep an open mind;
    -be aware of your surroundings;
    -connect with people whose experiences are different from yours;
    -be adaptable;
    -learn to interpret social cues and respond appropriately;
    -accept that you don't know everything;
    -be passionate about something;
    -be committed to continuous learning.

that's all i can think of for now; may add to this later.

• The exact opposite of Donald Trump

• everyone thinks they're smart

• So is it afforded just by being alive?

I think I'm actually really dumb. And I know a lot.

• Just because you know things doesn't mean you're smart. There's a difference between being knowledgeable, and being intelligent

• Smart today = Having a good personal filter.
    Need to know = What makes you happy and what doesn't
    Don't need to know = Anything negative about yourself or your dreams.

• Women and money

• 0|0
    • I swear I will discover who you are...

• Lol good luck with that 😁

• Yeah, it probably is hopeless. ;_;

What Guys Said 11

• Smart is about being able to apply what you know and adapt to different situations. There are people who are smart in the traditional academic way, sometimes called book smart, but they are failures at applying it in everyday life. There are others who are below average in intelligence, but they use what they have and are quite successful.

If you can't apply it, it's completely worthless. It's about looking at whatever you are dealing with, and making good decisions about it. There are times when high raw intelligence is needed. But most of the time far less intelligence is needed if the person takes the time to think it through rationally.

When it comes to knowledge, that's entirely up to the individual since everyone does different things in life.

• Being analytical and attention to detail oriented so you can examine issues, identify root causes, and extrapolate logical conclusions.
    And having an acute, quick memory.

It's very critical in the business world. This along with oral/written communication skills is EVERYTHING.

• It's kinda vague. I guess it is someone who you perceive as being overall more knowledgeable and perceptive than the average person is.

• So where do you stand in relation to the average person?

• Probably average.

Where do you think you stand in relation to the average person?

• Being smart is a very vague concept. There are those who think they're smart.. and those smart enough, to know that they aren't.

• So which would you classify yourself, Aizou?

• I would say that there's still a lot of knowledge out there, that I have yet to delve into. I know a lot, yet I hardly know anything in the grand scheme of things.

• Good answer.

• It means you've deepthroated a thesaurus because most people who claim they're smart just regurgitate smart-sounding words without actually making any smart points.

• Q_Q My feelings are combusted!

• Nowadays I think it's having common sense - being able to look after yourself. I see too many people who can't even figure out a train schedule or how to grocery shop.

• I do admit practical knowledge is definitely something to be looked at when considering this. What good is an engineer who can't figure out Ikea furniture after all?

• In real life that's Aspberger's. Excellence at a cost?

• Both Sheldon and Bones have had the writers (and actor) declare that they do not have Aspergers. I know a guy who was extremely talented with computers - he worked in the nuclear industry, he worked in the telecommunications industry, and now he works for Google (with his PhD in CompSci). Unlike the rest of his friends from school, he didn't have as developed social skills because - like the two characters above - he spent his childhood buried in books and learning as opposed to out socialising. They are just a more extreme version because it makes for better TV.

• Intelligence is one's ability to comprehend a set of material, then retain it until they need to apply or utilize such information in a given scenario.

• What you need: Your brain

What you don't need: anything else

• Oh, I forgot the first part.
      What does it mean to be smart: to possess a working knowledge of anything.

• Resilience and inquisitiveness tends to be the indicator of smarts in any age.

• All those people in the comments thinking they're smart

• I need to know what happened Im sure you can tell me.