Do you ever just wanna runaway? Should I?

I have a lot of money coming my way. A lease I can get out of at any time. A
job I can take with me anywhere.

I've lived in the same area for a decade of my life, total. My parents are here and so are my siblings and the guy I love and my best friends.

For a while I got excited by the idea of finding someone long term and cooking and cleaning for him and getting older near all the people I love.. but lately I just can't get in that headspace.

The only thing that makes me happy right now is the thought of getting in the car and going off somewhere it's just me for a while. The idea of getting behind the wheel and just driving til I'm far away from here literally gives me butterflies right now.

Should I do it? Where should I go? Do you ever wish you could just get away for a while or for forever?

Most Helpful Guy

• I was there. basically you are dissatisfied with where you are. probably isn't the people around you, just you aren't feeling good about you and where you are... right? So running away... it will follow you:)

But hey, why not... really get comfy with yourself, go life life and get away. it will feel good. I did.

Cancun - go snorkle... ok you can't drive there, but like fly or something...
    Italy - beautiful this time of year, you will love it. bring extra money:)
    Go visit some Gaggers you like or are interesting... why not... just be safe ya know.
    Punta Cana - great beaches... nuff said
    Bryce Canyon - great hiking
    Go on a mission trip to 3rd world country and help some orphan kids. there are plenty every direction you go.

need more ideas?

Most Helpful Girl

• The idea sounds exciting and potentially picturesque but in actual reality, runaways are targets to be kidnapped or sex trafficked because they put themselves in a situation where they may not have a place to stay and they don’t have a support system with them. Runnaways and lone women who aimlessly wonder are targets for people who have malicious motivations.

Now, moving away and leaving the nest at your age WITH A PLAN is an excellent idea! It will be great for your personal growth. But what I recommend doing is swallowing your pride, biting your tongue, and making sure you have an apartment set up for yourself before you leave in an area that you like and have done research on. If you have “a lot” of money coming your way then perhaps you have enough for a road trip where you can just get a while later and still have enough left over to move yourself out to a city you enjoy. Or maybe depending on if you’re in college, what you need is three or four vacations where you get the hell away from your living situation, come back to stay for a week or two, then go on the next adventure.

Whatever you choose, it’s absolutely imperative that you have a plan so that you use your money wisely and don’t have to worry about getting involved in an unsafe mess.

• Oh that was the plan. I actually wanted to secretly save 10k first and figure out a destination beforehand. But not tell anyone I'm leaving until after I go. I think about it a lot more than I should.

I love the people in my life so much. But the idea of getting distance and meeting new people just makes me so excited.. I dunno :/

• Hmmm you could but why be so secretive about your plans to leave? If they know you’re leaving, they may want to create super special memories to cherish with you before you leave. You don’t have to go into details. I’d understand if it’s a volatile living environment or there’s emotional abuse involved. But if there’s not, then they’re going to want to cherish what time they have left with you before you leave. If you don’t tell them and God forbid someone ends up passing way, you might feel like an ass.

I was once in your shoes and even though it was beyond a pain in the tush at times, I stayed at home until I had at least one year’s worth of rent saved. I didn’t make any major moves until that point. You’re young so definitely go on your adventures but be very strategic about how you approach them so that it doesn’t bite you in the ass down the road.

• My rent is currently $550 a month, so 10k would more than cover that, and because my rent is so low I have a LOT left over arm. But yeah I would def research apartments in different areas tho.

The reason I'd be secretive is because I don't want all that noise around me if I'm going. And I know it'd cause my mom anxiety to know I'm going beforehand (she's mentally ill). And I know if certain people in particular asked me to stay I would stay. I don't wanna give them that chance, I just wanna go and make it by the skin of my teeth and prove to myself and everyone else it can just be me and I can be all alone and make it. You kno?

What Guys Said 10

• I think most people who want to go "find themselves" are lazy and delusional, and should be making money and building for a future.

Most. Not all.
    If you are in the situation where you can? Where you can just get up and go? You won't be screwing anyone else over, you won't be screwing yourself over, you have money to keep you going, and you just feel the need to be somewhere else and live another way, at least for a time?

Then do it.

God, I wish I could.

• I have probably one of the most portable professions you can have. And it's very profitable. It won't negatively affect me financially at all. I also don't have kids or a husband or any real commitments.

So I guess, why not?

• Exactly. Of all the people who want to up and leave, you are one of the few who can totally legitimate ask "hey, why not?"

• Yeah, I've done that temporarily. It is nice but I only left for a month. It was a vacation not running away really but I felt like that's what I was doing. Don't forget, the grass is always greener somewhere else but it's not. You are either happy or not. It makes little difference where you are as long as it's not somewhere you will not live.

• Honestly do it you'll never know and if you don't do it I think down the road you'll regret not going. Go for a road trip tell them you'll be back but you don't know when. Id love to just hop in a car and see where the road takes me for awhile id definitely come back tho.

• Welcome back! And yeah i would go for like 2 weeks or a weel or something somewhere like a state away just to see how you like being away

• i think you should do it, go somewhere you like, yeah i do wish like that sometimes

• I always wanted to do it but i never found that courage inside me ☹️ So if you ask me you should runaway if you got the courage inside.

• I wish I'd die. You can't outrun the real problems in life.

• i love going on random drives especially at night.

• Did that recently. Grabbed a couple of people and derived to Gulf shores. Had no fucking money, still spent 10 days there.

• I dont know

What Girls Said 9

• I'd suggest going on a trip to a far away country to get a feeling for the distance from everything before you make and finite decisions.
    I don't know where you live but how about spending a month in Australia - tell your SO and family that you need a break. If you don't have any children but a flexible job you have no obligations basically.
    And going somewhere on your own for a while is a great way to see if that life is actually for you.

• All my work is on my laptop. I can literally work anywhere with wifi. I just need space you kno?

• Yeah so I'd suggest going for a trip, travel around and have some alone time - if you notice you actually feel most content with that lifestyle you can always cut all ties then ;)

• Why no take an extended vacation, if the restlessness goes away then you might consider the change. If you miss everything and everyone then it may be something more. I was restless and changed positionsince at work, made a huge difference!

• I want to run away all the time tbh.

a1. Go somewhere beautiful for a few days and think. Don't rush anything.
    a2. Don't go anywhere until U have an actual clear destination in mind.
    a3. At least once a week I DREAM of running away from all things my life.

• Welcome back rescueme

• i thought u said "do you ever just wanna walk a runway?" and came to answer yes lmmfao

• That too! Lol!

• i get what u mean tho, about taking a break for a bit. u should do it, go to somewhere close but still kinda far. a spa getaway or something. it'll rejuvenate u and give u thinking space for what u really want.

• You should get somewhere else to live with the guy you love but not too far away, maybe an hour drive away, maybe two so you have a new atmosphere while still being close to family and friends.

• Do it! 🙃 I know i will in a few months🙈😊 I don't know if ill be back but plan on finding opportunities elsewhere. Far away.) just go for it but make sure u have a plan

• i do wanna runaway. but i just haven't a lot of money. and yes u should do it, go wherever u want. just dont give yourself a chance to regret.

• Sometimes I wish I could just disappear. Not die, but disappear.

• Yup. Kno exactly how you feel :(

• Sorry about that.