Does it make sense to ban fat people from public transportation?

https://i.imgur.com/w2Ww0nzl.jpg

Some utility vehicle operators have recently banned fat people from using their public transport, saying that they generally cover space meant for two or three people yet pay the cost for one seat.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• That seems problematic in many ways but perhaps the most obvious problem is the question: who has the authority to define the term "slim" in this situation and how do they define it? Is 170 lbs slim for an adult man? What a about 190? What about 210? Some soccer players are 230 pounds but they're obviously still slim. So weight doesn't seem to be a great way to define it. Different approach: Is the company gonna say "calculate your BMI before mounting the bus"? Now, that seems rather unpractical too. Are they gonna throw chubby people off the bus? But then... what's chubby? Are they gonna kick somebody like Alec Baldwin or Russel Crowe off the bus? Cuz in my opinion, they're chubby (certainly not slim). But then, maybe the standards are different? It seems almost impossible to implement.

Most Helpful Girl

• Being overweight is often not a simple choice. Biology, psychology, and medical issues make it much more complicated. Should a person suffering from thyroid cancer (who lose the ability to regulate their metabolism) be punished more? Or what about the person suffering from soul crushing grief who uses food as a crutch to get through the day?

What Guys Said 10

• I love that airline that changed their ticketing system to charge per weight. Every passenger would stand on a scale with their luggage and pay per weight. Totally makes sense, as it drives variable costs such as fuel.
    What was that airline.. Samoan Air maybe?

• What? So you can't book a flight online?

• I don't know the specifics on how to book/reserve flights. I would assume they reserve maybe with some security deposit/credit card hold and then the actual charge is determined when you fly.

• it makes sense, logically, but I can see a lot of emotional arguments against it. Personally, I'm indifferent. Admittedly this could be due to the fact that this is in no way my problem (I'm not fat, and all the public transportation I use tends to be either free or have plenty of room).

• i think being a fat bastard myself public transportation is a privilege nit a right. and if they feel a person will over incapacitate a vehicle they can say no to make room that may need the ride.

plus the bus never stops near a doughnut shop so whats the point in taking a bus?

• in all serious if someone is going to weigh 400 lbs and have the sweaty fat folds of their enormous ass spilling over into MY airplane seat. I'm going to have a problem with it.

Here's my personal experience:

8th grade field trip. We've already borded the plane and my friend and I are sitting in the two seats next to the window. Leaving the aisle seat open. In walks, no, waddles yes you've seen what I'm talking about, this lady who I swear weighed at least 400 pounds sits down in that aisle seat. I wouldn't have had a problem if she could just keep all of herself in her own seat. I was having to lean over against my freind just to keep her fat from touching me😖.

I held my damn bladder for that 4 hr flight because I was not climbing over her to get to the bathroom, but my freind couldn't hold it so he literally had to grab the back of the seat in front of me stand on my knee and then step over her just to get out. That's fucking ridiculous.

If your that fat, I feel so sorry for you and I know it must be embarrassing when things like this happen, but it's your fault not ours. If you can't fit in an airplane seat, then don't fly on an airplane. The rest of us can't cater to your excessive size.

• Yes, I am in favor of this.

You'll be able to fit more people per vehicle and the people who are too fat to meet the requirements will be forced to walk and as a result, burn calories.

Two birds, one stone!

• Those utility vehicle operators seem nasty.

• LMFAO thats harsh

• I guess it does.

• Thats the most shitty thing i have heard in my life.

• They should not be, instead we should help them if possible in shedding their weight

What Girls Said 8

• No, because where I live I fit into the seat, but I am petite ands slim, so someone who is bigger than me may not exactly fit the same way I would and take up some space on the other seat. I think it's fine, yes everyone pays for their seat, but its more the transportation, not everyone sits anyway!

• As much as they sometimes bother me, no.
    It would break my heart to find out my grandpa wanted to use public transportation but couldn't just because of his size.

• I don't ever do public transport but hate living in a society that wants to ban everything.

• Not that's just mean

• If someone pays their fare and isn't causing trouble, they should be allowed on public transit.

• No, that's discrimination.

• If people are excluded, that makes it private transportation, right?

• Nope.

• surely they should have to pay extra.

• well then they can suffer.

• @Josht11 Being overweight doesn't automatically mean it's your fault. Maybe read the comment of @CheshireCat89. There are many reasons to be overweight and you can't just throw everyone in the same bucket. Sure, some people just love to eat but when we come to seriously obese people, the obesity is usually only the symptom of a much deeper lying problem. Their obesity is as much their fault as the scars on the arm of a girl with borderline disorder are her fault. Sure, she held the knife in her hand but that's not really the point, is it.

And just as a side remark I have to say that America is also an incredibly difficult country to stay skinny. If you can do it, good for you and kudos. Many people can't. I was suuuper skinny before I got to America (6'2'' and 125 pounds) and during ONE YEAR of life in America I gained 30 pounds. Just like that. For poor people it's even much easier because unhealthy crap is ridiculously cheap in the US while veggies and fruits are expensive.