Marriage and last names... what to do?

Long story short..
my current fiance and I will be getting married end of August. Mid September we will be travelling by a greyhound bus (bus that goes between different cities in canada/ states) and I am getting the tickets online right now. However... should I be putting my CURRENT last name or his last name that I will be taking when we get married? I know I need to present ID before boarding. Which will have my current last name. I don't think I can get new ID with his last name that fast before we leave..
or will my last name automatically change to his on the night of marriage? Like the whole government knows we just got married without me notifying? lol that sounds stupid and not possible without me going out of my way to change all documents right...
I called their customer service a lot and no answer

Most Helpful Guy

• Your name will change immediately (if that is what you want). But your ID will not change until you go to the offices that issue the IDs and show them the marriage certificate to get new IDs issued. So you will be using your old ID and you will want your name on the ticket to match your ID. And that is not illegal or derauding anything. It is common when you are getting a name change.

Most Helpful Girl

• You should put your current last name, as thats the name on your id. Just to be sure that there are no problems when you are trying to board.

After you are married you will eventually have to go get a new id if you want it to use your husbands last name. And then one by one you will have to correct people everywhere you go, and change your last name in all systems. No one will magically know that you are married with a new name.

Lots of people dont even change their name after getting married, so you will have to tell people and correct it at places that have your name.

What Guys Said 3

• Use your current last name that way there is no problems. Since it will match your id and passport.

• Use your current just to be safe since it matches with your ID.

• Go ahead and use your current last name. Just don't get your ID changed until after the trip. You have to change your name on your ID to make it official. You legally can use his last name immediately after marriage.

What Girls Said 15

• It takes a lot of effort and paperwork (depending on location) to change your name. I took my sister 12 hours and 5 trips to 3 different government places to get it changed in Texas. (Getting the drivers license changes while switching to tx from another state) made it take more than a week.

Long story short, I would keep your maiden name till you get home. Spending hour in the dmv doesn't sound fun between your wedding and honeymoon

• I think you have to actually apply to have your name changed. If you feel your id won't be reflective of your new name, then put your current name on there. Bring your marriage license or some document proving you were just married. I'm sure they deal with these types of situations all the time (honeymoons and all). So it is probably something that they are used to dealing with.

• If you do not physically change your name to your husbands name you have to use your maiden name. No the government does not care that you got married as long as you obtained a marriage licence. And will not change your name for you. That would be infringing on your private life.

You have to use your current name. Issuing ID for taking your husbands name would not be possible in that time frame.

• GIRL! WHERE HAVE YA BEEN? 😁

• Bahhahahaha train the second sentence like wtf is wrong with me. I meant "tell me you don't tell me you don't do this to your self j!!! "
      Brb going to say a small prayer to my English teacher who is probably rolLing in his grave...

• No one will figure it out, don't worry 😁. You ain't gonna talk sense into me, eva. YOU! AIN'T! GONNA! DO! SHIT 😂 And you don't need to tell me! I missed you and your borderline criminal amount of energy and funness 😂. But yeah, shit like that is why I'm thinking about taking a break. Then again, I don't have much else going on right now. And I'll respond to your dm eventually. I pronounce 👌

• I would keep your name because regardless you will always have your original ID, if the new one comes then great! But you don't have to use it. I would wait till after your trip till you state changing all your documents legally.

• No, you have to go get your last name changed lol.

I would put your current last name. Y'all know you just got married, but the person checking your I. D. And tickets does not and will not take your word for it.

• If you haven't changed the name on your id and other official documents, you shouldn't put his last name of the ticket because it won't match your id.

• Use your current name. Even if you're taking his last name, you won't get it changed on all your documents and ID's until you actually go through the proper processes and get them changed. Always book tickets in the name that appears on your ID...

• Well, it's after hours so you won't hear anything.

If you're not going to be able to change your name in time (and the process can take upwards of six months), book it in your maiden name. You're not going to be any less married for doing so.

• Use your current last name

• put your current

• Use whatever will be on your ID at the time, that will be your legal name

• take his name thats what I will do

• If you are not legally married then you write your maiden name lol its not that complicated

• Your last name does not automatically change just because you are married
      You have to get it legally done

• I think you should probably use your current last name

• Personally I would my current name since that ix what I will havd in my ID card, and putting a different name will just confuse peopleZ.